Harsh and edgy Quads

leodiensian

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
System : Quad CD-P2 and 99 amp; Kef Q55 speakers; QED Silver Anniversary XT cables; Merlin Chopin Interconnect; Atacama Equinox rack; QED Qonduit mains block. Problem : The Quads replaced my Marantz CD63 MkII and PM66SE KI Sigs when the CD packed in a year ago after 8 years. The KEFs are the originals from 9 years ago. Compared to the Marantzs the detail and definition are excellent and the bass is deep and tight. Vocals though are all wrong - with recessed mid register and metallic harsh and edgy upper register. The treble almost fizzes at times. And a lot of the excitement has gone out of the music too - it's analytical but unemotional. Some recordings are just lifeless (even Meatloaf believe it or not). How can I give Norah Jones her velvety tones back - and Chris Rea his gravel? I don't recall the system sounding at all like this when I auditioned it at the dealer's although I'm not sure what cables were used then. Has the amp maybe developed a fault - is this what Quad's should sound like ? I rather suspect the speaker cables might not be up to the job but I can replace the speakers if necessary (budget £1,500ish). Room is large, 6m x 3.5m, but I'm at one end listening "across" the room so speakers need to be tight back against the side wall but out from corners (I've had to plug the reflex ports on the KEFs as the Quads have so much more bass than my old Marantzs did). My dealer recommends Spendors with Quad - would they fix my problems? Musical taste is eclectic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The last terms I'd ever apply to Quad equipment are harsh and edgy.

Are they very new? If so, they could do with a few weeks' use to sound at their best. But you might try some better speaker cables - you may have gathered by now I rather like Chord Company products! - which may well give a tighter, cleaner sound.

And give the KEFs a bit of space - let's say 30-40cm out from the back wall - and try unplugging those ports!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Andrew re the Quads - i'm running Quad kit at home at the moment specifically because its velvety tones and exceptional midrange are ideal for conveying musical emotion, especially from vocals.

If you've got the money for a speaker upgrade, could I suggest stretching it a tad for the Wilson Benesch Square Ones (£1500) plus a good pair of stands (£150-£200 - Partington's Superdreadnoughts would suit sonically). These are wonderful speakers for the money, excellent all-rounders and work well in a close-to-the-wall position. They're compact, too.

A

Anonymous

claire

after some advice

gradually upgrading hifi,,
got reasonable sony cd player9030, recently bought marantz 7001 on ebay,
now looking to upgrade speakers thinking about quad 11, from current eltax

would the amp and speakers be good match,using qed speaker cable and basic vandenhull connection lead ?

regards

daverob

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"] The last terms I'd ever apply to Quad equipment are harsh and edgy.[/quote]

Unless we are talking about 11L or 12L!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I include the 11l/12L speakers in my previous comments - properly run-in and not fresh from the box, they are anything but harsh and edgy.
[/quote]

I must heard the faulty ones then [smiley icon] here as the formatting gone again....[angry icon here]

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I've stil got mine
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts