Grrrrrrrr grumpy neighbour who hates my noise

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can any1 please help me im just about to buy a new surround sound but my neighbour is a crabby im looking to buy a system that i can still get the good old rumble and decent sound at my rear speakers without having to crank it up high. I have demo the monitor audio rs6 av but found i had to crank it quite high to get the sub to kick in an the rears sounding gd. is this down to the amp or is it just the way it is on this kind of set up. i was thinking of getting the tannoy signatures av pack but im guessing that as the use alot of juice that its a system that needs to be cranked can any1 please help me????

A

Anonymous

It down to how it is set up. Adjusting the speaker level settings will get you the balance you want.

The MA RS6 is a cracking speaker system.

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Alternatively you could try sound proofing the wall, putting a layer of high density plaster board up to provide further insulation.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Worst comes to the worst you could always look at adding so noise reduction medium to the partition wall. However, whether or not he has a genuine complaint depends on how loud it is next door.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I had this with a previous neighbour (although with music not movies) and we ended up agreeing to a time when I could play it loud and times when I tried my best to be quiet.

It worked, but have since moved into a detatched house (bliss...)

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Invite him round for a demo? I feel for you mate, I used to have a neighbour that complained at the slightest noise. She even complained about the hoover for crying out loud. I didn't care and had to demonstrate to the Police on more than one occasion that I wasn't playing it too loud but it was hard to convince them with a room full of floorstanders and SVS sub sitting in the corner. Luckily she has moved now and my neighbour is a bloke that plays dance music at '11', so I just crank mine up louder.

It sounds like he might just complain no matter what the volume level is, so I would look at minimising the noise transfer. When your music/movies are playing go round and see what he is talking about. You never know, he might have a point. If your house is anything like mine, noise isolation wasn't on the agenda when they were building those paper thin walls.

A

Anonymous

Well unfortunatley ive just had the full livingroom platstered and painted so sound proofing isnt an option. the thing is i have a chimney between me an my neighbour also my living room goes through to there stair so shudnt b that bad. Any way do you think i shud just save my pennys and buy a tannoy merc f1 system or sumthing decent but cheaper as i might not get to enjoy sumthing expensive due to these ppl. Any1 any ideas or solutions welcomed

A

Anonymous

Major pain is that studios hardly send any information to the rear speakers anyway. So even working well, it's only the effects that occasionally come whizzing past your ear that are encoded for the surround speakers. Major waste of the format if you ask me, but the studios believe you're concentrating on the screen, so most of the sound is coming from its general direction.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Major pain is that studios hardly send any information to the rear speakers anyway. So even working well, it's only the effects that occasionally come whizzing past your ear that are encoded for the surround speakers. Major waste of the format if you ask me, but the studios believe you're concentrating on the screen, so most of the sound is coming from its general direction.

Sorry Will, you've lost me here. The effects that come whizzing past your ear are the ones that start at the front (in terms of screen action) and then can be seen (or are inferred from the screen action) to actually move behind you i.e. you being the viewer of the action on the screen. The studios believe you're concentrating on the screen because you blimmin' well should be - this is cinema! What else are you concentrating on?!

A

Anonymous

hi hav noisey neighbours and they do my head in with is boom boom music ,so just turn it down because it can be a pain .

A

Anonymous

Make him an offer he can't refuse for his house.

Sorry, been watching too much Godfather in high def.

What about setting the amp on Night setting if it has it? I think you should just buy the speakers you want, play around with settings, speaker levels and play at a reasonable level. If that level isn't unreasonable, just ignore his complaints the best you can.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Some people are born to complain and no matter what you do to accomadate them they will moan anyway.

With noise polution as it would be refered to if he were to complain there are guide lines as to what level is considered to high and also the time of day and how long this level of noise continues for and how frequently.

I lived in a 30's built semi (since moved to a detached) and my neighbours were about the same age as us but did not have kids. They would come in from the pub on say a Friday or Saturday night with a few rather merry friends and party till the wee-hours with there music banging away (cheapo-set-up farting its a### off) yet we did not moan as I deam this as normal behaviour and fair useage of their home to enjoy their lives as they so wish.

No they recently had a Child and suddenly the rules of engagement have changed. I still use my system in the same way I allways have which basically is not on at all during week days due to work etc then on in evenings at a reasonible level for general TV and the odd Movie. But say on weekends during the day music at a slightly higher level but not shaking the foundations volume and a movie at a good level on a Saturday night say finishing at about 11.

Suddenly I was the "neighbour from Hell!" as far as they were concerned due to my "excessive" noise (they even banged on the wall to my Daughter lastening to here music via here small tv speakers!). I tried to talk to them to sort it out but they complained to the council who un known to me at the time installed recording equipment to gauge these "excessive sound levels" and duration of said excess. I was made aware of this at the end of the investigation and the result was I was not donig any thing wrong and well within acceptible levels and time frames for noise. The funny bit was the I.V.H. official actually comented on how nice my set up was and sat down for a demo.

They then moved away to Shropshire (never spoke to me inbetween the IVHO decission and moving) but you are intitled to use you equipment when you like at reasonible volumes dependant upon time of day even if the grumpy neighbours dont like it. Buy you system according to what You like and not buy worrying if you may or may not upset the neighbours.

A

Anonymous

I enjoy listening to my setup at a volume that I know would be audible next door. However, I only do this if I know that they are out. At all other times I keep it down on the principle of treating others the way I would like to be treated. There is nothing worse than hearing neighbour's noise, on poor systems, at levels that stop you concentrating on what you are doing.

Any system worth it's salt will also sound good at lower levels. I also listen on headphones at higher volumes when I don't want to annoy neighbours (or anyone else in my own household!). Sadly, neighbours are seldom as courteous as we would like.

I envy anyone who has a detached house as this must aleviate the problem in both directions. Let's face it, semi or terraced houses were conceived before people had modern entertainment appliances (or laminate floors) and so were not an issue. Modern living obviously creates situations for possible conflict.

There is no easy solution.

A

Anonymous

Hi you seem to kno the score in this dept can u let me kno wot the rules and times are then i cant be caught out. what is the db levels an at what times do they change??

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Arf69:Hi you seem to kno the score in this dept can u let me kno wot the rules and times are then i cant be caught out. what is the db levels an at what times do they change??

Hi mate,

I had noisy neighbours for 2 years. Typical hoodie wearing, drug dealing teenagers that didn't work, so had their jungle on all day and all night. I eventually had to get the council involved. The rules about noise pollution has changed fairly recently. I asked the council what was the cut off time for them making the noise. Basically, there is no cut off time now. At any time, if a neighbour makes noise that can be heard in your property, that is classed as a noise pollution. Luckily for me, the idiots stopped paying their rent and got evicted. I have nice neighbours now.

I'm in the process of soundproofing my lounge. Until that is done, what I have done is explain to the neighbours that I don't want to be a bad neighbour, but I do like to watch a film on the weekend, so the volume will be pumped up for a couple of hours. To get a level of volume that didn't annoy them for the rest of the week, I asked them to sit in their room that is the other side of my lounge wall, while I gradually turned up the volume and asked them to bang on the wall when it got too loud for them. I don't go above that level on weekenights. Now we're all happy campers, although i'll be happier when the soundproofings done, so I can crank it up whenever.

My advice would be to try and keep it civil and be a bit respectful of your, because it can become a bloody nightmare.

A

Anonymous

My neighbours - above, below and to the side are all as noisy as we. We all live in happy harmony for fear a complaint could wreck our own enjoyment.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:My neighbours - above, below and to the side are all as noisy as we. We all live in happy harmony for fear a complaint could wreck our own enjoyment.

That's exactly how I live as well - fantastic arrangement if you ask me.

(you don't live in Croydon do you?!)

A

Anonymous

professorhat:ÿ(you don't live in Croydon do you?!)

Yeh, tell you what play Ride of the Valkyries full blast tonight at 4. I'll let you know if we're neighbours.

A

Anonymous

The problem with my neighbours is they r the kinda people who do nothing they sit at ther window an make every1s lives hell cos there is rubbish she reports every1 for anything for example she reported my neighbour for putting a new fence up said he was making noise during the day disturbing her. So i understand if they were reasonable i would say can i hear my stereo in your house so i kno wot level it is an that its not disturbing you but as soon as i mention i have a surround sound she will jump on it an go complain even before i use it cos they are just sad that way. How much does sound proofing cost an which is most effective???

Martin100

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
For what it is worth, i would stud the wall out sound proof it 12.5 plaster bored, plaster over it, the sub on an isolation block, then you should be able to crank it up no matter what system you get.

Martin

A

Anonymous

could you go into a little more detail maybe cost of that as im unsure what you mean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts