Groan!!! darn digibox

|( :wall:

On Thursday we had a Sky + HD box fitted FOC by the engineer. Last night decided to rig it up to the hi-fi, and this is where the fun (not) started.

For some unexplicable reason it' will only plays out of one channel. I've connected it in the same way as the old one: Interconnects from the 'Audio' section straight to the Leema. Plus there's a heavy hum thru the speaker that doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

daveh75

chebby said:
You haven't accidently plugged one channel into a 'component video' RCA socket have you? They are usually next to the audio L R outputs and could catch you out.

That was my first thought.

On current Sky+/HD boxes (looking from the rear of the unit) on the far LH side, next to the fig 8 connector there are 3 vertically mounted RCAs, the bottom two are your Stereo L + R, the top yellow RCA is composite video, and to the right of those is also an orange coaxial digital out.

If your connected to the correct RCAs, I'm wondering if you've got a poor/loose connection, given the hum.

Tried every possible permutation and still no joy. Even contacted Sky and they said "we're not qualified" to advise. There only seems two possible ways: Firstly, to hook up a digital (coax or Optical) from the box to the DVD player or to buy a dac. The latter I'm not keen on.

I have, nevertheless, got it working (of sorts) by connecting a lead to the TV headphone socket, but the SQ falls short of the level I'm looking for.

RobinKidderminster said:
Surely swapping L&R leads will highlight the fault in the box or amp. Digital coax or optical will ofcourse give best sq if yr amp gives this option

I've tried other interconnects such as the Merlin Chopins and it still doesn't pick-up the sound. Also switched inputs on the amp and still the same. CD, tuner, DVD player are fine. The amp doesn't have digital inputs, so the idea is to either run it from the box to DVD player or TV. Really have run out of ideas. (Scratches head furiously).

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Assume L channel fault. Connect R channel from sky box to L &R in turn to amp. If all ok then repeat with L channel. Simple or maybe I am missing something. Surely its the amp faulty or the sky box? Sorry if I am not being helpful

The amp isn't at fault. I've around the inputs: Tried it in CD, Tuner and Tape and all zilch. All those sources work fine. I've tried, as mentioned in the previous post, connecting from box to TV and different interconnects. The TV and DVD player works faultlessly thru the amp but the Sky box there's no sound. There is sound thru the TV speakers but not thru the amp.

Just phoned Richer Sounds and they are puzzled, too. The only suggestion they can come up with is the digital lead or a cheap CYP dac. Or both.

I've mailed the bro-in-law as he's a Sky employee. Let's see what he can suggest.

daveh75

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
Get Sky to exchange it for a functioning HD box.

Could always ask.

The digibox doesn't come with any instructions, apart from Terms and Conditions and 'How not to electricute the moggy' advice.

Dont ask, insist..

If its faulty they need to replace it.

Instructions are online www.skydigi.tv/Documents/Sky+hd_manual.pdf_1314843347.pdf

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
A final thought to connect sky box straight into tv with red/white phono leads? Box sounds dodgy but good luck

Or just connect the TV to the amplifier with phono leads.

The sound from anything connected to the TV would then come through the hi-fi. (My first post on this thread.)

chebby said:
RobinKidderminster said:
A final thought to connect sky box straight into tv with red/white phono leads? Box sounds dodgy but good luck

The sound from anything connected to the TV would then come through the hi-fi. (My first post on this thread.)

I've tried connecting straight from the TV to the amp, as I did when first got the TV last year. Absolutely nothing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
RobinKidderminster said:

I've tried connecting straight from the TV to the amp, as I did when first got the TV last year. Absolutely nothing.

No sound from TV through the amp.

No sound from Sky box through the amp.

Are you sure it isn't called the 'Leema Repulse'?

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
RobinKidderminster said:

No sound from TV through the amp.

No sound from Sky box through the amp.

Are you sure it isn't called the 'Leema Repulse'?

Ask Leema. :) Strange that all traditional sources work as they should, except for...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts