Grills are best kept in the backyard

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Because I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old (18 months apart, yes I'm tired), I use the the grills supplied with my speakers. By leaving them on, I feel like the drivers are much less likely to get poked. When I first got my contours, I would pull off the grills before I settled in to a listening session (late at night, kids sleeping away). I really had not done much grill on/off sound comparisons, but I figured they would sound better unimpeded by a fabric cover, plus I really prefer the looks of the speakers sans grills and it's nice to see the drivers in all their glory occassionally. However, after a few weeks of this I got lazy and started just leaving the grills on all the time. So I've been listening for months now with the grills permanently affixed. What I'm saying is, I'm very familiar with the sound of these speakers with the grills in place so I would be sensitive to any change. Recently I took off the grills for a listening session and it really seemed to make a difference to the openness. A very slight increase in livelyness. So now I'm leaving them off permanently and just taking my chances with the kids.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think some manufacturers 'voice' the speakers to sound right with grilles (not sure which of us is spelling it right and which one is spelling it wrong, but it just looked better with the e to me) in place and some without them. I guess it's all a matter of taste though. Grilles are only an optional extra on my Neats. I am slightly nervous about what friends' kids might do (or the friends themselves if they've had a few). When the mrs and I have kids I think i'll be ordering the optional grilles!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Semantics I know but;

Grill.....................to cook on or under.

Grille...................protective screen usually perforated (of a kind) to permit air flow, water flow, sound flow etc

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fayeanddavid:Grill.....................to cook on or under.
Grille...................protective screen usually perforated (of a kind) to permit air flow, water flow, sound flow etc

Gorilla..........largest living primate

Guerilla..........a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment

Because we have a cat and a 7 year old, the grilles usually come off when I've got my beadies on them. The sound quality is slightly better (a little like trying to talk with your hand over your mouth), especially with treble and detail resolution.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
jaxwired:
Because I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old (18 months apart, yes I'm tired), I use the the grills supplied with my speakers. By leaving them on, I feel like the drivers are much less likely to get poked. When I first got my contours, I would pull off the grills before I settled in to a listening session (late at night, kids sleeping away). I really had not done much grill on/off sound comparisons, but I figured they would sound better unimpeded by a fabric cover, plus I really prefer the looks of the speakers sans grills and it's nice to see the drivers in all their glory occassionally. However, after a few weeks of this I got lazy and started just leaving the grills on all the time. So I've been listening for months now with the grills permanently affixed. What I'm saying is, I'm very familiar with the sound of these speakers with the grills in place so I would be sensitive to any change. Recently I took off the grills for a listening session and it really seemed to make a difference to the openness. A very slight increase in livelyness. So now I'm leaving them off permanently and just taking my chances with the kids.

I was kind of lucky that when my two little darlings arrived. I was running Neat Petites, which have no grilles, and I just crossed my fingers which seemed to work for ages until a friends little one came round to play and surprise, surprise, the little cherub poked the bass unit with her dainty little finger. Luckily I managed to pop it back out and no harm done, needless to say the speakers i have now have their grilles in place....most of the time.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Don't the Contours have the facility to put the grilles on the back of the speaker for storage? (rather than the garden!) The Dyn's always used to...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Taking the grilles off my current speakers makes a decent difference, however it didn't make as much on my last speakers. I never listen with the grilles on now.

A

Anonymous

Grrrrrrrill(e)s Miss Spellt.

Grilles Off - naked always in my opinion! Allows the air to flow round the parts!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:Don't the Contours have the facility to put the grilles on the back of the speaker for storage? (rather than the garden!) The Dyn's always used to...

Don't think so - not the last ones we had anyway.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:fayeanddavid:Grill.....................to cook on or under.

Guerilla..........a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment

Or, having just listened to Jake Thackray's La-di-Dah album, the French track...

Le Gorille! (Brother Gorilla)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Andrew Everard:fayeanddavid:Grill.....................to cook on or under.

Or, having just listened to Jake Thackray's La-di-Dah album, the French track...

Le Gorille! (Brother Gorilla)

Gorilla Guerrilla

A novel by Nick Taussig.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Fur from it..

gorilla.jpg

Ooh, suits you sir...

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that it makes no difference, but I've just tried removing my speaker grilles and the sound is noticeably clearer (certainly the treble, at least).

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Jame5:I think I read somewhere that it makes no difference, but I've just tried removing my speaker grilles and the sound is noticeably clearer (certainly the treble, at least).

Depends noticeably on the grille type - thin frames with standard cloth shouldn't make a massive difference, metal grilles or ones with thicker MDF frame (or one that sits very close to the driver) will have far more impact on the sound and dispersion. Cloth itself rarely has much of an effect unless it's very thick like the "carpeted" 70's speakers, the frame usually has more bearing on treble dispersion and restricts "airiness" of the speaker.

Not too many manufacturers recommend listening with the grilles on but there are exceptions such as Shahinian where it does help the sound by keeping the grille in place, they can be used to tame a brighter system a touch too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts