Great Quality Vinyl

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Cheers, Charlie.

Man, you've got a lot going on! You're gonna be skint for a while, then! You're welcome for the Marantz tip, Btw. I'd imagine Neil Young is great on Vinyl, especially 'Harvest'.

Karma police is on the best of and ,yes, it sounds brilliant, especially the intro guitar. Here's the complete track listing:

Disc: 11. Just2. Paranoid Android3. Karma Police4. Creep5. No Surprises6. High And Dry7. My Iron Lung8. TherereDisc: 21. Lucky2. Fake Plastic Trees3. Idioteque4. 2 + 2 = 55. Bends6. Pyramid Song7. Street Spirit (Fade Out)8. Everything In Its Right PlaceDisc: 31. Airbag2. I Might Be Wrong3. Go To Sleep4. Let Down5. Planet Telex6. Exit Music (For A Film)Disc: 41. National Anthem2. Knives Out3. Talk Show Host4. You5. Anyone Can Play Guitar6. How To Disappear Completely7. True Love Waits

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
Cheers, Charlie.

Man, you've got a lot going on! You're gonna be skint for a while, then! You're welcome for the Marantz tip, Btw. I'd imagine Neil Young is great on Vinyl, especially 'Harvest'.

Karma police is on the best of and ,yes, it sounds brilliant, especially the intro guitar. Here's the complete track listing:

Disc: 11. Just2. Paranoid Android3. Karma Police4. Creep5. No Surprises6. High And Dry7. My Iron Lung8. TherereDisc: 21. Lucky2. Fake Plastic Trees3. Idioteque4. 2 + 2 = 55. Bends6. Pyramid Song7. Street Spirit (Fade Out)8. Everything In Its Right PlaceDisc: 31. Airbag2. I Might Be Wrong3. Go To Sleep4. Let Down5. Planet Telex6. Exit Music (For A Film)Disc: 41. National Anthem2. Knives Out3. Talk Show Host4. You5. Anyone Can Play Guitar6. How To Disappear Completely7. True Love Waits

I want it!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, Neil does sound superb on vinyl.

The Christmas before last I treated myself to the four LP box set of : Neil Young debut, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Goldrush & Harvest. All 180g, all wonderfully packaged, and most importanly, incredible sounding. Played the latter two last night and they really sell the notion that vinyl trumps CD.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew

I've had this for a couple of years on CD and i've just taken delivery of it on vinyl. The CD sounded a little flat to me, and there was something about it that just didn't capture the beauty of her voice, the way that her work with Damien Rice did. I couldn't connect with it, and as a result, it didn't get much play time.

But, this vinyl doesn't suffer from any of the problems that the CD does. Oh my God, it is so, so good. Perfectly pressed with a low, low noise floor for starters. Then you get to her voice, which on vinyl has been freed of the compression and has regained it's uncanny knack for giving me goosebumps. In fact she does that to me more than any other artist.

The instrumentation has been really well recorded and the mix is beautiful, with the strings sort of ebbing and flowing between the other instruments.

I don't say this about many albums, but I will here: GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!!!!!

If you aren't completely in love with it within a few listens, you can slap me with a haddock. (other types of fish are available)

It's cheap, too: £11.99 at HMV. Takes about 4 days to arrive.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
419Q05XW89L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jeff Buckley - Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk

This is another flawless 'Music on Vinyl' pressing. Spread over 3 180grammers, it's dead quiet and sounds amazing. Everything is clear and easy to pick out. Some of Jeff's strumming that was hidden in the mix on the CD version is exposed here. The vocals are tops, too. If you listen to Jeff sing 'Everybody here wants you' or 'Satisfied Mind' and don't get goosebumps, then i'd check your pulse
smiley-smile.gif

Not cheap, but quality costs, eh?

The cheapest i've seen it is at Juno Records: £31 delivered, I think.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
61IWX7huLeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew

I've had this for a couple of years on CD and i've just taken delivery of it on vinyl. The CD sounded a little flat to me, and there was something about it that just didn't capture the beauty of her voice, the way that her work with Damien Rice did. I couldn't connect with it, and as a result, it didn't get much play time.

But, this vinyl doesn't suffer from any of the problems that the CD does. Oh my God, it is so, so good. Perfectly pressed with a low, low noise floor for starters. Then you get to her voice, which on vinyl has been freed of the compression and has regained it's uncanny knack for giving me goosebumps. In fact she does that to me more than any other artist.

The instrumentation has been really well recorded and the mix is beautiful, with the strings sort of ebbing and flowing between the other instruments.

I don't say this about many albums, but I will here: GET IT, GET IT, GET IT!!!!!

If you aren't completely in love with it within a few listens, you can slap me with a haddock. (other types of fish are available)

Great to see you enjoying your music so much. With such a strong recommendation I think I`m going to have to give this singer a listen.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
survivor said:
bretty said:
61IWX7huLeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew

Great to see you enjoying your music so much. With such a strong recommendation I think I`m going to have to give this singer a listen.

I can second Lisa Hannigan, I bought it after Bretty said how good it was on here.....I wasnt disapointed :)

Get yourself a copy and see for yourself.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51cFR2xheIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Meshuggah - Obzen

I had a feeling that, with this being death metal, not much effort would have been put in with the pressing. I was very wrong. There's no audible surface noise here. Where the CD sounds good, but can sound a bit like a wall of sound during busy parts, the Vinyl keeps everything clearly defined. I can now hear exactly what the bass player is playing all the time. He never gets lost or confused with the guitars.

The drums sound really tight. The snare has a great snap and the toms have a great attack and decay.

The guitars have more detail than the CD and it makes them sound more like guitars and you can hear every strum or pick of the strings.

This is the perfect Metal record. I thought my Tool and Opeth vinyl were great, and they are, but this is better.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
41Kr7PKvM-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don Mclean - American Pie

I got this today. It's the 2010 Limited Edition Remaster, on 180g, by Simply Vinyl.

They've done a beautiful job with the remaster. There's a warmth to the acoustic guitar that really sounds great.

'Vincent' has always been my fave track, and i've not heard it sound better than it does on this record.

I'm just finishing the last track of side two, and there hasn't been a single 'pop' on either side. There's a faint hiss throughout, but it's analogue tape hiss from the masters, rather than surface noise on the record.

Amazon marketplace are doing the album for just under £20, right now. The price seems to fluctuate, though, as I paid £12 five days ago, so it might be worth hanging on and seeing if it goes down again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts