Great Albums Spoilt By One Duff Track

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Inspired by the "albums in one go" thread, and my new CD-player that has a sort of inverse programming feature that allows you to program the tracks you want to miss out, I thought I'd start a new thread of albums that would be great if you could remove one track!

Here are some of my suggestions (the offending tracks are in brackets):

New Order - Technique (Fine Time)

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (Industrial Disease)

Paul Simon - Hearts and Bones (Cars are Cars*)

The usual rules apply - albums must be names, and no compilations.

* This track is almost, but not quite, redeemed by the lyrics, "You can drive them on the left, you can drive them on the right, they're susceptible to theft in the middle of the night!"

A

Anonymous

Any album that has all great tracks ,bar one, is a great album anyway in my book.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]
For me... Faith No More - The Real Thing (Woodpecker from Mars)

Although I would still regard it as a stupendously great album[/quote]

wow, i actually quite like woodpecker from mars (not the greatest song on the album but still not duff).

for my money i think TooL's 10,000 Days is almost spoilt by Lipan Conjuring though the album does have far too many redeeming tracks to be completely spoilt!

A

Anonymous

I am amazed at this one, I think its one of the strongest tracks on an excellent album and is generally regarded as a seminal indie/dance crossover record. Never met anyone who didn't like it !

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="andy444"]

I am amazed at this one, I think its one of the strongest tracks on an excellent album and is generally regarded as a seminal indie/dance crossover record. Never met anyone who didn't like it !
[/quote]

Totally agree, let's here it for Fine Time.

A

Anonymous

ok, going by the band - album (missed track) syntax..:

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (Even Deeper)
Faith No More - Angel Dust (Smaller and Smaller)

A

Anonymous

Mika - Life In a Cartoon (Lollypop) I quite like the album but oh god is that song awful...absolutly awful.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
To my mind, and that of others, the greatest album ever made has two appalling tracks on it. Within you without you and when I'm 64, both on Sgt Pepper. Interestingly, within you without you was sequenced to be the first track on side two. George Martin expected correctly that after a couple of listens when side 2 was put on the stylus would be moved over to the second track!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]ok, going by the band - album (missed track) syntax..:

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (Even Deeper)
Faith No More - Angel Dust (Smaller and Smaller)[/quote]

You pick Smaller and Smaller as the duff track on Angel Dust?!?! are you sure you arent confusing it with Malpractice? the screechy guitars on that track just kill me :-(

A

Anonymous

[quote user="andy444"]

[/quote]

Well, yes - maybe it isn't a duff track, but I don't think it fits on the album. I enjoyed it as a single at the time, but now I think it sounds really dated.

Lots of the mid/late Depeche Mode albums also suffer from from the great-single-but-sticks-out-like-a-sore-thumb-on-the-album syndrome - Personal Jesus on Violator being the best example.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="shep1968"]To my mind, and that of others, the greatest album ever made has two appalling tracks on it. Within you without you and when I'm 64, both on Sgt Pepper. [/quote]

I'd concur with 'Within you Without you' - (tho not When I'm 64 ) - spoiling an otherwise brilliant album.

I couldn't bear this song when listening to it on my Mum's reel-to-reel at the age of 4, had to lift off the needle for it on the vinyl version and now aged 38 still skip it on CD - actually - I have NEVER heard it all the way through as it's simply painful!

A

Anonymous

Have to disagree with 'industrial disease' i'm afriad, it's a great track esp loud, in fact the whole album's a classic from start to finish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts