Grainy Blu Ray

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes right with you there andrew,I only have a 32" sony lcd and i can tell the diffrence with dvd vs blu-ray.If people have bigger screens then you are going to see more grain/detail.Same as digital stills camaras.if you enlardge a photo to a4 size using 3 mega pixels you will lose detail,but on 12 pixels you would pack more information.I like the gain on films when watching blu-rays,gives it that feeling.Same as when people moan about them "bloody black bars" then stretch the image and distorte the image even more when watching films lol.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I just hope that we don't get the same, tragic phenomenon with Blu-ray as we have with 'audiophile' hi-fi, of people being more interested in the 'clean' quality of the transfer than the quality of the content.

Obviously it's great to see a superb transfer of an excellent movie - but i'd rather have a dollop of grain or touch of noise with my, say, Hitchcock than an ocean of antiseptic 'quality' with a merit-free movie....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I fear i've just watched two hours of movie that did just that
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:Couldn't agree more. Let's not forget about cinematography, script writing, dialogue, acting, plot...

Why? Most of Hollywood has.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:I fear i've just watched two hours of movie that did just that
emotion-7.gif

I've just spent 2 1/2 hours ripping 24 discs of Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix audiobook so the wife can listen to on her ipod. Terminator 4 sounds like the better deal.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

Clare Newsome:I fear i've just watched two hours of movie that did just that
emotion-7.gif

I've just spent 2 1/2 hours ripping 24 discs of Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix audiobook so the wife can listen to on her ipod. Terminator 4 sounds like the better deal.

Yes, but the HP will give you over day of listening pleasure, so it is well worth it. Stephen Fry is a terrific narrator.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

I just hope that we don't get the same, tragic phenomenon with Blu-ray as we have with 'audiophile' hi-fi, of people being more interested in the 'clean' quality of the transfer than the quality of the content.

Obviously it's great to see a superb transfer of an excellent movie - but i'd rather have a dollop of grain or touch of noise with my, say, Hitchcock than an ocean of antiseptic 'quality' with a merit-free movie....

You know, you can have both Clare
emotion-5.gif

I do.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:But as we've established, gel, you can't differentiate between film grain and digital noise
emotion-5.gif

At least I know why you like the Denon so much now.
emotion-21.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gel:

Clare Newsome:But as we've established, gel, you can't differentiate between film grain and digital noise
emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif

Though we still haven't worked out why you insist an aged Pioneer can miraculously change a Blu-ray transfer from being mastered from film stock to a digital print. Get real, gel.
emotion-12.gif

Yes, you love your Pioneer - an Award winner in its time - and good luck to you, but even that manufacturer knows there are better players (even within its own range).

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

gel:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif

Though we still haven't worked out why you insist an aged Pioneer can miraculously change a Blu-ray transfer from being mastered from film stock to a digital print. Get real, gel.
emotion-12.gif

On my AC/DC live at Donington blu ray and on the Matrix blu ray there was alot of grain on the picture for the Denon but when I watch the same blu rays on my pioneer there was no grain.

That's what I like no grain.

Clare Newsome:Yes, you love your Pioneer - an Award winner in its time - and good luck to you, but even that manufacturer knows there are better players (even within its own range).

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gel:Clare Newsome:

gel:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif

Though we still haven't worked out why you insist an aged Pioneer
can miraculously change a Blu-ray transfer from being mastered from
film stock to a digital print. Get real, gel.
emotion-12.gif

On my AC/DC live at Donington blu ray and on the Matrix blu ray
there was alot of grain on the picture for the Denon but when I watch
the same blu rays on my pioneer there was no grain.

Clare Newsome:Yes, you love your Pioneer - an Award
winner in its time - and good luck to you, but even that manufacturer
knows there are better players (even within its own range).

Gel, that white font is just not working for me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:On my AC/DC live at Donington blu ray and on the Matrix blu ray there was alot of grain on the picture for the Denon but when I watch the same blu rays on my pioneer there was no grain.

In other words, you're saying that by modern standards the Pioneer is a bit soft...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BTW, Martin Scorsese recently gave a keynote speech at a Blu-ray Disc conference, where he said: "Movies viewed in the HD format boast a "'film-grain quality'." He added that Blu-ray "allows the film to be seen as closely as possible to how it was intended to be."

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

gel:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif

emotion-12.gif

Yes, you love your Pioneer - an Award winner in its time - and good luck to you, but even that manufacturer knows there are better players (even within its own range).

Pioneer knows that there are better player's within it's range.

You mean the 91. Yes I agree it is fantastic if I won the lottery I would be 4 of them.

I would prefer the 91 to the marantz at £5,000 blu ray player everyday of the week. because that's the way I like my picture.

Grain is something I have not noticed on this one or the 71.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts