Google data-mining?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
A funny thing happened...

A friend, wealthier than I, asked advice on streaming services. He was keen on something one-box but with multiroom capabilities. The obvious answer is Sonos but, due to his sickening wealth, I thought I'd Google to see if there were better (more exclusive/expensive) alternatives.

Fast forward 12 hours and an email arrived in my Gmail account asking whether I knew that my Sonos system had many, many amazing features, but I might not be aware it was also (gasp) had multiroom capable! It then went on to describe how to unlock this potential (“can you say houseparty” it patronisingly asked…).

Now I know Google mine my searches and provided targeted adverts on pages I view (I bought a new watch a month back, but I still see it advertised every time I check a website), and I know they mine my inbox and have sponsored adverts – but… This was an email directly from Sonos to me.

Is it just a co-incidence or are google now monetising me in a more insidious way (and actually providing my contact details to people who pay them). I am a Sonos beta tester, so they do have my details – so this may be a startling co-incidence. Did any of you have a similar email from Sonos in the past week or so?

daveh75

Big Aura said:
Is it just a co-incidence or are google now monetising me in a more insidious way (and actually providing my contact details to people who pay them). I am a Sonos beta tester, so they do have my details – so this may be a startling co-incidence. Did any of you have a similar email from Sonos in the past week or so?

Yes its a coincidence. Your data is more valuable to these companies than just selling your personal details to anyone that wants it...

TRENDING THREADS