Goodbye to my Focals

The buyer of my Focal speakers came today and took away my beloved floorstanders.
I had them on for 3-4 hours before they arrived and really enjoyed their sound, it was familiar and comfortable, they sounded really good.
how quickly you forget what stuff sounds like.
once they left I plugged my new Triangles in, and was instantly wowed. These things are coming on nicely. Barely run in, but a completely different presentation of music. They sound gigantic, the soundstage is huge.
im so glad I had a last listen to the Focals now. It truly has opened my eyes to what I now have.

Sounds familiar to me. I remember thinking how good my old Sonus fabers sounded when I demo’d them to the eBayer who bought them. He has stayed in touch and still enjoys them, and meanwhile my ATCs are sounding great!

Seems like you made a good choice!

Reactions: Al ears
The buyer of my Focal speakers came today and took away my beloved floorstanders.
I had them on for 3-4 hours before they arrived and really enjoyed their sound, it was familiar and comfortable, they sounded really good.
how quickly you forget what stuff sounds like.
once they left I plugged my new Triangles in, and was instantly wowed. These things are coming on nicely. Barely run in, but a completely different presentation of music. They sound gigantic, the soundstage is huge.
im so glad I had a last listen to the Focals now. It truly has opened my eyes to what I now have.
I think "familiar and comfortable" is the problem with most people -- certainly is with me.

It takes a real leap of faith. I've only done it couple of times but generally I'm a creature of habit. I like what I know and know what I like.

I think "familiar and comfortable" is the problem with most people -- certainly is with me.

It takes a real leap of faith. I've only done it couple of times but generally I'm a creature of habit. I like what I know and know what I like.
It's onwards and upwards I would say, you have fancied these speakers for a good while, now you have them and they seem to be working for you..... That's hifi.

robdmarsh

In my case, it was saying goodbye to my Elac DB5 originals. I dearly loved those speakers cos they replaced my old Celestion 3 mkii which I had a special affection for because an old university friend worked on the cross over design. The Elacs were the first Andrew Jones speaker that created such a buzz in the budget speaker arena (well, maybe that Pioneer speaker before that, which was super budget). Anyway, they were so good with my little Marantz that I was kind of enjoying trying out speakers at double (and more than) their price and see them win! Their warmth and coherence was extraordinary. One speaker I thought might beat them was the DB5.2 but no, the magic had gone with these. I felt somehow with these that Mr Jones was being "directed" shall we say in how the speaker should sound and look.

I read about my Triangles, thought they looked great, and was intrigued that they were being described as exciting and lively without being fatiguing. This was something I had to try as one definite criticism of the Elacs was that they were too rolled off in the treble. In some ways it was a bit of a risk getting the Triangles in that one person's lively is another's harsh. But when I got them I immediately knew I'd struck gold. They maxed out what I could get out of the little Marantz and clearly showed an upgrade path for my next amplifier.

And I haven't really said goodbye to the Elacs. They went to my brother.... though he's yet to pay me for them. Grrrr!

I’m really enjoying the running in process, day by day, they are opening up, presenting a brilliant soundstage, digging background detail out, the layers of vocals and guitars are clearly audible.
I didn’t know what to expect from the upgrade, but it’s definitely an UP, rather than a box swap.
probably still got 60 hours of (triangle advised) run in to go, but wow. Awesome.

robdmarsh

I’m really enjoying the running in process, day by day, they are opening up, presenting a brilliant soundstage, digging background detail out, the layers of vocals and guitars are clearly audible.
I didn’t know what to expect from the upgrade, but it’s definitely an UP, rather than a box swap.
probably still got 60 hours of (triangle advised) run in to go, but wow. Awesome.
Glad you're enjoying these so much. Does the rest of your household feel the same way? Oh, and did you get the Triangle speaker cables? I had Audioquest flx slip 14/2 and the step up in sound to the rocket 11 is oh so noticeable (Chord clearway X also very good but I think I prefer the rocket).

I’ve still not heard back from the dealer re the speaker cable, but in no rush to change. Not while im still running them in. My Mrs loves the speakers, she was the one that told me to go with white. I had initially been looking at the Genese Quartet in black, but the Lyrr in white look just stunning.
100% the right choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts