Given a Gift Voucher for 20K, what system would you buy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Sugden Masterclass IA-4 Integrated Amplifier
£5,000.00

Piega Premium 5.2 Speakers
£2,900.00

Linn Akurate DSM
£6,300.00

Sennheiser HDV 820 Headphone Amplifier
£2,000,00

Sennheiser HD 800 S Open Back Headphones
£1,400.00

Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Hi-Fi Turntable
£2,400.00

That's my 20 bags spent!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
For a moment.

I would look at a system primarily sourced from Audio Note. Some mid level AN-Es and a pair of the smaller monoblocks would be my starting point. I would need to take some guidance here, try and find the best combination up to about £15k. Source would probably be a Linn Akurate DSM, though I would be happy to look at options.

If this sort of setup fails to meet my expectations I would talk to Icon Audio. I would let the expertese of David Shaw and his crew guide me towards the right amplification to suit a pair of SF Olympica II, assuming that they would fit in my room. Again, an Akurate DSM most likely as the source.

Very nice...and somewhat (though not totally) surprising.

Why?

.....because of your like of the very clean, neutral, detailed, controlled, analytical(?) and accurate presentation of the active route.....which is almost the exact opposite of what AN delivers.

Though I take on board that on a limited budget, the Active route gives (for your taste) a better compromise. You could though, have dumped the 20k on an active system.

As you say, most 'regular' hifi leaves me pretty cold, particularly at affordable levels. It would take a budget approaching 5 figures to find something that I would like, even from the more obscure brands. Small active speakers offer something very different at more affordable price levels but, unless you have a well treated room and very understanding neighbours spending more that £2-3k on the speakers simply buys you more spl and bandwidth than you can hope to use.

With the given budget and the practical constraints of apartment living, something that engages at more modest level would be the priority, hence the Audio Note thoughts. Other valve/high sensitivity combinations would come into the equation though this is an area in which I would need considerable guidance.

The Icon Audio/Sonus Faber suggestion is a more practical all round solution, powerful valve monoblocks and 'proper' SFs would definitely be worth a try, I still miss my Audio Research driven SF Electa Amators. Whether they would engage on the same level as triode driven, sensitive speakers would have to be determined.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Stuart.W.D said:
Sugden Masterclass IA-4 Integrated Amplifier £5,000.00

Piega Premium 5.2 Speakers £2,900.00

Linn Akurate DSM £6,300.00

Sennheiser HDV 820 Headphone Amplifier £2,000,00

Sennheiser HD 800 S Open Back Headphones £1,400.00

For CD playback Primare CD35 Prisma £2,400.00

That's my 20 bags spent!

I see you have a well thought out and detailed plan...almost too well thought out and detailed, to be a spur of the moment. *diablo*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
For a moment.

I would look at a system primarily sourced from Audio Note. Some mid level AN-Es and a pair of the smaller monoblocks would be my starting point. I would need to take some guidance here, ...

After my experience of the AN AX-Twos, it would be amazing to hear what they could do for £20,000 instead of £750 !!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:
For a moment.

I would look at a system primarily sourced from Audio Note. Some mid level AN-Es and a pair of the smaller monoblocks would be my starting point. I would need to take some guidance here, ...

After my experience of the AN AX-Twos, it would be amazing to hear what they could do for £20,000 instead of £750 !!

I have....and it is (the speakers AN E Lx were in a 43k system).

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Avid Volere SP Turntable - 5000
SME Model 309 - 1875
Nagaoka MP500 - 700
Luxman L-590AX II - 6995
KEF Reference One and stands - 5500

Total is £20,070

Anyone? It's only £70....

I'd just keep the CD player I have.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
That's actually quite problematic :) oh no what would I do? *biggrin*

I'd like a full Linn Klimax Exakt setup and keep my speakers. However £20k wouldn't cover it. So I'd have to settle for Akurate Exakt setup, please. If anyone is feeling charitable.

Problem is I really would like to keep using Roon and Linn and Roon can't seem to work things out. Come on Linn just do it.
A Linn Exakt box for my system, or Mini DSP is the only thing in this whole thread so far that I'd try with a £20k SYSTEM voucher.

It'd be interesting to find out what this technology could do in my main system.

It looks like everything else mentioned so far would be a downgrade or side-grade on my Studer / EMT / Philips - NVA - Korneff clone - EV's.

If I were given a voucher I'd be looking to spend it on tapes, vinyl and CD's if I could.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
macdiddy said:
the voucher would be for hifi equipment, not cd's, tapes or vinyl.

*scratch_one-s_head*

Oi, stop re-writing my rules! *ok*

I was just glad Lindsay didn't buy Ebay's entire vintage listings with the 20k. *biggrin*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Gazzip said:
Not looking to downgrade at the moment.

Are you seriously saying your system couldn't do with a 20k injection. *blum3*

Oh I see! I can upgrade and I don’t have to replace the whole thing. Am I allowed to sell stuff to bolster the budget? If yes then the MB2SE’s and Bryston 7B3’s would be sold and MB2SE actives would be in my listening room.

if it was a new system then I would be looking at an Audio Research GSpre, a Chord Qutest DAC and PMC Two Two 8 actives. Cheap PC with a linear power supply to serve up my tunes.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
CnoEvil said:
Gazzip said:
Not looking to downgrade at the moment.

Are you seriously saying your system couldn't do with a 20k injection. *blum3*

Oh I see! I can upgrade and I don’t have to replace the whole thing. Am I allowed to sell stuff to bolster the budget? If yes then the MB2SE’s and Bryston 7B3’s would be sold and MB2SE actives would be in my listening room.

if it was a new system then I would be looking at an Audio Research GSpre, a Chord Qutest DAC and PMC Two Two 8 actives. Cheap PC with a linear power supply to serve up my tunes.

Yup. You have 20k to spend as you wish, as long it's Hifi related.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Trade in my stuff and then it's Linn Klimax DSM + ATC SCM 40a's all the way to heaven....no contest.
regular_smile.png

Edit: Maybe not easy. Might swap the ATC's for Kudos. Maybe.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Trade in my stuff and then it's Linn Klimax DSM + ATC SCM 40a's all the way to heaven....no contest. 

Edit:  Maybe not easy.  Might swap the ATC's for Kudos. Maybe. 

But with a EAR tube pre amp...ATC SCM 40 actives seem to be the flavour of the month :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
I am almost tempted to go and demo that just so I know what I'm missing.

You are now realizing the real and somewhat underhand motive of the thread. *diablo*

You never know what will happen when you open Pandora's Box. *acute*

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Would probably take a risk on the AVI DM12's (£3k) and spend the rest on a really really nice turntable/arm/cart.

I was thinking along the same lines. Would love to hear the DM12s, I hoping to get a demo later on in March. Really impressed with the DM10s and sub difficult to believe the DM12s will be any better.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You are now realizing the real and somewhat underhand motive of the thread. *diablo*

You never know what will happen when you open Pandora's Box. *acute*

I know you too well......even a serial demo'er like me knew what you were up to
regular_smile.png

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
If I had 20k HiFi voucher my audition will start with the ACT SCM40A active system, then I suppose I will have to upgrade my CD ripper (I have a Cocktail Audio X10 at present), also rebirth my vinyl collection so a turntable is in order, then I will audition solid and tube preamps (eg Naim, Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Ayre just name few) as to a Dac, maybe this will be included in the preamp and then there is the phono stage (hopefully a preamp will include both). I think by the time I am content or satiated with the new system the cost will go a wee over 20K...!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts