Given a Gift Voucher for 20K, what system would you buy?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
paulkebab said:
£8k on DSP hardware and an engineer to set it up, feeding a 500 WPC Nord amp setup. The rest will go on their nominated builders to sort an anechoic listening room as an extension to my existing room... and furniture. Phewwww it took me ages to think of that!

That's certainly one of the most interesting answers in this thread. *drinks*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
paulkebab said:
£8k on DSP hardware and an engineer to set it up, feeding a 500 WPC Nord amp setup. The rest will go on their nominated builders to sort an anechoic listening room as an extension to my existing room... and furniture. Phewwww it took me ages to think of that!

I don't think so, having been in an anechoic chamber on a couple of occasions I can assure you that it is not what you want as a listening room.

Treating a room to sound great with full (ish) range speakers isn't difficult, you just have to be prepared to lose a lot of space to bass traps and put up with some pretty wierd looking treatment panels. Not cheap but not £20k either.

The biggest problem is sound insulation, if you have any neighbours and want to play at reasonable levels, this is the real challenge. Truly effective solutions usually involve a 'room within a room' approach, the listening room is built on a floating floor and not structurally connected to the main room, a big job for which the £20k budget will be nowhere near enough.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
about the level of you music, use the voucher to buy six of these:

perspective_pb16-ultra.png

problem solved, no more neighbours, possibly no more house either. *biggrin*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
steve_1979 said:
paulkebab said:

I don't think so, having been in an anechoic chamber on a couple of occasions I can assure you that it is not what you want as a listening room.

Treating a room to sound great with full (ish) range speakers isn't difficult, you just have to be prepared to lose a lot of space to bass traps and put up with some pretty wierd looking treatment panels. Not cheap but not £20k either.

The biggest problem is sound insulation, if you have any neighbours and want to play at reasonable levels, this is the real challenge. Truly effective solutions usually involve a 'room within a room' approach, the listening room is built on a floating floor and not structurally connected to the main room, a big job for which the £20k budget will be nowhere near enough.

They don't come much weirder than mine. *biggrin*

2017-11-30%2019.36.34_zpskie6wqsg.jpg

2017-11-30%2019.37.45_zpspsbhjyhj.jpg

2017-11-30%2019.38.45_zpsvkygbjtp.jpg

If you are wondering why the chair is covered it's to reduce reflections from the chair.

All of this acoustic treatment is work in progress but the effects so far are nothing short of astonishing and it will be made to look more professional sometime in future, ---- maybe .*biggrin*

Definitely not £20k's worth of treatement but it does make £20k's of improvement to what was a very good sound before. imo *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

I just worked out my current system including TV costs £13k, so I would probably buy the same system again, but I think this thread is Hifi anyway, but a home cinema system can be two things. Especially with my Arcam rBlink.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts