Given a Gift Voucher for 20K, what system would you buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Is the voucher in the post Cno?

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I think I sent you 2 by mistake....so could you send one back. Thanks. *pardon*
*mosking*

I don't know why you're sniggering....it was yours that I sent him! *wink*

I hope you haven't forgotten to send my voucher Cno, you do know I would invite you to stay for a while so that you could listen to your gift, plenty of drinks and all that too . *angel* *kiss3*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Electro said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

*mosking*

I hope you haven't forgotten to send my voucher Cno, you do know I would invite you to stay for a while so that you could listen to your gift, plenty of drinks and all that too . *angel* *kiss3*
now now no creeping now !

daveh75

Pair of Kii Threes, Kii Control and their dedicated stands, replace my ageing 1080p projector with something that does native 4k, and a pair Kef LS50 Wireless for another room with the change..

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I must be a failed audiophile because I have no desire to spend £20,000 on a hifi system. Maybe £3000 to swap my DM10 speakers for the newer DM12 model but I'm not even particularly fussed about that either as I'm perfectly happy with my DM10s and have no desire to upgrade them. *unknw*

But if forced to spend £20,000 I would probably use it to fit out a custom built home cinema/games room. To start with I would spend about £2000 on a custom built ultra quiet gaming PC. Audio would be courtesy of a 5.1 surround sound speaker setup with AVI DM12 speakers all round. Maybe a large JL Audio subwoofer (or two) instead of the usual AVI subwoofer because they go deeper for the movies. As they are active speakers there would be no need to go overboard with the AV reciever/processor so only a few hundred pounds would be spent here, probably on a second hand one.

A largeish TV or projector, probably second hand again to make the most of the budget. Also some well chosen room acoustic treatment, some pretty furnishings and a few comfy chairs to finish it off. I think that lot would come to about £20,000.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I must be a failed audiophile because I have no desire to spend £20,000 on a hifi system. Maybe £3000 to swap my DM10 speakers for the newer DM12 model but I'm not even particularly fussed about that either as I'm perfectly happy with my DM10s and have no desire to upgrade them. *unknw*

But if forced to spend £20,000 I would probably use it to fit out a custom built home cinema/games room. To start with I would spend about £2000 on a custom built ultra quiet gaming PC. Audio would be courtesy of a 5.1 surround sound speaker setup with AVI DM12 speakers all round. Maybe a large JL Audio subwoofer (or two) instead of the usual AVI subwoofer because they go deeper for the movies. As they are active speakers there would be no need to go overboard with the AV reciever/processor so only a few hundred pounds would be spent here, probably on a second hand one.

A largeish TV or projector, probably second hand again to make the most of the budget. Also some well chosen room acoustic treatment, some pretty furnishings and a few comfy chairs to finnish it off. I think that lot would come to about £20,000.

There you go, it wasn't that hard, once you got going! *dirol*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Actually on second thoughts can I have a second £20,000 voucher so that I could afford the full 6.4.2 cinema experience. Oh, and a pair of 18" JL subwoofers too.

*diablo*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:

Actually on second thoughts can I have a second £20,000 voucher so that I could afford the full 6.4.2 cinema experience. Oh, and a pair of 18" JL subwoofers too.

*diablo*

NO!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

*mosking*

*lol* *lol*
but wouldn’t it be good if someone out of the blue for no reason give you a £20.000 gift voucher I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep I would be laying there thinking about nice bright shiny things all night

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
but wouldn’t it be good if someone out of the blue for no reason give you a £20.000 gift voucher I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep I would be laying there thinking about nice bright shiny things all night

...there would be no point....you'd only have to box them up and send them back! *dash1*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

...there would be no point....you'd only have to box them up and send them back! *dash1*
yes that went back today and it’s definitely a dead amplifier

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I think I'd partly copy Mr bomber and get a Tucana Anniversary and probably an Antila CDP and maybe some Sonus Faber Guarneri speakers (no idea if they'd work together) that's got be around 20 grand, right?

So when should I expect my voucher Mr Cno sir?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
For a moment.

I would look at a system primarily sourced from Audio Note. Some mid level AN-Es and a pair of the smaller monoblocks would be my starting point. I would need to take some guidance here, try and find the best combination up to about £15k. Source would probably be a Linn Akurate DSM, though I would be happy to look at options.

If this sort of setup fails to meet my expectations I would talk to Icon Audio. I would let the expertese of David Shaw and his crew guide me towards the right amplification to suit a pair of SF Olympica II, assuming that they would fit in my room. Again, an Akurate DSM most likely as the source.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I think I sent you 2 by mistake....so could you send one back. Thanks. *pardon*
*mosking*

I don't know why you're sniggering....it was yours that I sent him! *wink*
 *lol*  *lol*
Yeap rush of Christmas at my younger years all over. Come on Cno. Smiles

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I would cash the voucher, and probably upgrade speakers, although to what I've no idea. I would then put the rest away towards the new Alfa Giulia.

You can't cash the voucher...it has to be spent on hifi.

I would recommend a Klimax DS along with your speaker upgrade (PMC Twenty26? or Ref 1s)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
For a moment.

I would look at a system primarily sourced from Audio Note. Some mid level AN-Es and a pair of the smaller monoblocks would be my starting point. I would need to take some guidance here, try and find the best combination up to about £15k. Source would probably be a Linn Akurate DSM, though I would be happy to look at options.

If this sort of setup fails to meet my expectations I would talk to Icon Audio. I would let the expertese of David Shaw and his crew guide me towards the right amplification to suit a pair of SF Olympica II, assuming that they would fit in my room. Again, an Akurate DSM most likely as the source.

Very nice...and somewhat (though not totally) surprising.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I would cash the voucher, and probably upgrade speakers, although to what I've no idea. I would then put the rest away towards the new Alfa Giulia.

You can't cash the voucher...it has to be spent on hifi.

I would recommend a Klimax DS along with your speaker upgrade (PMC Twenty26? or Ref 1s)

Spoilsport! *i-m_so_happy*

Don't know. I'll have a ponder.

A little part of me hankers after a pair Dynaudio Contours, but they are probably sideways step. Trouble is you need to live in a barn to accommodate the Dyns - they are very deep.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
For a moment.

Why?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
CnoEvil said:
davedotco said:
For a moment.

Why?

.....because of your like of the very clean, neutral, detailed, controlled, analytical(?) and accurate presentation of the active route.....which is almost the exact opposite of what AN delivers.

Though I take on board that on a limited budget, the Active route gives (for your taste) a better compromise. You could though, have dumped the 20k on an active system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts