GAMING and PLASMA

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone, perhaps one of the hi-fi crew can tell me - are there currently ANY plasma tvs out there that can play games without leaving phosphor trails. I really dont consider myself a 'sensitive viewer' but i have seen phospher trails on 2 of my friends plasmas. One is a pansonic. They both say that it doesnt bother them too much - but i speculate whether that is also a defensive position because they were expensive and they game a lot.

It would certainly bother me, as i picked up on it straight away and from that moment on - its all i could see!

I do want a plasma but it is 50% gaming and 50% films. Plus i want to sell my 40v000 in order to get a larger screen (was thinking about plasma) but do not want to risk phosphor trails.

Are there any plasmas out there that are known for handling gaming better than most other plasmas?

Help needed!!!!

A

Anonymous

Hey there!

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I must say I'd be interrested to find out what models of plasma your friends have, as I am starting to settle on the idea of getting a Panasonic TH42PZ81 and would hate to see my High Def PS3 games displayed badly.ÿ

ÿTÿ

ps: just a thought, how did your friends setup their games consol with the TV (HDMI, Componant?), 'cause that would make a massive difference on a large screen..

also, what games console did they have?

(essentially I kind of need more info....)

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I play PS3 games on my th46pz85 and ive never noticed any phospher trails.......

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Do your mates have all the picture enhancements switched off. This could possibly be an explanation, also some people seem to notice trails more than others - You maybe need to check out a few different sets and see if you notice it on them all.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Phosphor trails are present on all plasmas as far as I know, just down to the way they work. 99% of people won't see them 99% of the time, but some people have very sensitive eyes for this and for them, there are only a few things which may help:

1. Light your room very brightly when watching the TV.

2. Lower the contrast on the TV.

3. Apparently the effect should lessen over time as the luminosity of the phospors reduces.

4. Sit further away from the TV.

5. Use an LCD...
emotion-1.gif

So, if you've tried all these things at your friends' and they haven't helped, unfortunately I think it's unlikely you'll be able to do anything other than audition as many plasmas as you can and see if any are better / worse than others. Just make sure you view them in normal lighting conditions given the condition will not be as prominent in brightly lit showrooms.

A

Anonymous

I one of them has a slightly older model (x series) and i know the other one does have a Z model (its the freesat built in one). Thet are into tvs and have all processing of. they are playing both xbox 360s and PS3 through hdmi.

If this is down to the technology i would seriously consider looking at one whilsts playing a game. I dont understand how other people cannot notice this. They say it doesnt bother them so much be i know that they would wish is wasnt there.

I must also say....the z model handles 24p MUCH better than the X model. personally i would pay extra for the Z, just for this smoother playback.

Anyway, Its annoying as i will have to fork out for a lager 50" LCD now, which is costly!!!! Was hoping to go plasma.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
This is something the a few people notice and for some reason those the do notice it from posts I have read on here and other forums the Panasonic screens seem to crop up more often than not. I used to notice it slightly on my old Panasonis series 5 but can't honestly say I notice it at all on my Samsung 50".

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Use my plasma for gaming all the time and I honestly don't see it - I wouldn't lie if I did, I would buy a new TV! So sorry you can see it, but I promise it's not a conspiracy, it's just some people can't see it.

A

Anonymous

Suprising case this as my friend bought a 42pz85 and has no issues when gaming
emotion-7.gif
and he works with tv's and knows exacty how they handle, I've been round his house gaming on his tv and found the picture fantastic, it made my small lcd picture look v.poor when gaming at home.

He used to have a px and they're not 24p compatable so watching Blu ray through the tv will judder plus the fact the px range isn't a full HD 1080p screen, pz series support 24p so it will give you a much smoother image whilst watching blu ray.
emotion-2.gif

If you are looking at getting a 50" screen I think you should strongly think again about buying a plasma, an Lcd at that size will struggle, even if the majority of use is gaming.

altho it's whatever makes you happy, maybe go and demo the 50" screens and check the difference with your own eyes before shelling out alot of money on such a big screen.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I did go out today and look at a few tvs. I saw a nice pioneer for 2000. I cant remember the model type is was in JL in southampton.

There was another pinoeer for £4000 - that was possibly is the holy grail of HD viewing - cant remember model for that either, but it was astounding.

I remember reading somewhere that pinoneer plasmas were literally the only make that can gaurantee no phosphor trails for gaming. But i have yet to see if that is 100% accurate or not. I do have another friend with a pioneer - he has no trails but i class that in a different league. I will not risk the plasma road, because from what i am reading on the net, most of them do it.

Other Tvs of note were - sony 52w4000 which had an amazing picture on blue ray - not so hot on SD but i guess that is the standard trade off in this instance. I tried calibrating it in JL, which showed a better result but its still pretty harsh.

Otherwise i was thinking about a 46w4500 - but again......the clouding? motion smear.....? these things are always set sepecific and there is never a gaurantee that it wont come without its own problems. Clouding....well i just assume it will come with it - its just a case how bad - or rather - how much of that 50,000:1 ratio that sony can deliver in realistic terms without shining huge spotlights at you through the screen.

I wish i had What hi-fi's luck. 3 w4500 sets with no clouding....claires parents got a 40w4500 set with no clouding....Hmmmm.

Anyone fancy buying a cheap 40v4000? I want to get this set quite soon

A

Anonymous

Ob1777:

I'm hoping that someone, perhaps one of the hi-fi crew can tell me - are there currently ANY plasma tvs out there that can play games without leaving phosphor trails. I really dont consider myself a 'sensitive viewer' but i have seen phospher trails on 2 of my friends plasmas. One is a pansonic. They both say that it doesnt bother them too much - but i speculate whether that is also a defensive position because they were expensive and they game a lot. I believe the latest 2009 Panasonic plasmas have made inroads in reducing phosphor trails. Havent seen any real detail on this though.

TRENDING THREADS