Galaxy S2 - Question for the What Hi-Fi team

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

When you tested the Galaxy S2 what software did you use to load the handset with music and which file format did you use?

Answers welcomed from any other members too as I want to ditch my old iPhone 4 that I am currently using as an iPod!

Many thanks,

JayKay

A

Anonymous

Hi. We tried Kies with an Acer PC, but with Macs we'd simply put the device into USB Mass Storage Mode and then drag-and-drop folders into it (it automatically transfers the relevant media to the relevant folders). We worked with FLAC, MP3 (320kbps) and AAC (including some lower-quality iTunes-default file types) but of course, the FLAC content sounded best.

A

Anonymous

Ah, so you used kies - heard a few bad things about that but will give it a go!

Many thanks.

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I am looking to get a galaxy 2 but i understand it cannot play apple lossless files. All of my CD's were ripped using lossless. Is there a way around this? would I have to convert my files before transferring onto phone

Jaykay BTW why do ou want to get rid of your iphone? I like the bigger screen on the galaxy (videos and surfing web), and its cheaper than i phone

A

Anonymous

Dan.m said:
I am looking to get a galaxy 2 but i understand it cannot play apple lossless files. All of my CD's were ripped using lossless. Is there a way around this? would I have to convert my files before transferring onto phone

Jaykay BTW why do ou want to get rid of your iphone? I like the bigger screen on the galaxy (videos and surfing web), and its cheaper than i phone

Okay, I could have worded that better. I travel a lot running my business and carrying one device is better than two. I like the iPhone 4 but after 2 x 3G, 2 x 3GS and 2 x iPhone 4 handsets I just felt like a change!

A

Anonymous

JayKay70 said:
Okay, I could have worded that better. I travel a lot running my business and carrying one device is better than two. I like the iPhone 4 but after 2 x 3G, 2 x 3GS and 2 x iPhone 4 handsets I just felt like a change!

Do you lose them or break them a lot? :D

A

Anonymous

No I have two business accounts, one in the UK and the other in Ireland. Hence the need to two handsets at a time and they soon add up with annual upgrades!!

A

Anonymous

To be honest, I doubt very much anyone alive can tell the difference between lossless and 320 MP3 (and abx it). Certainly not on a phone.

Try this test for starters using your PC/Mac headphone out...

http://mp3ornot.com/index.php

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would not use Kies as you can't nicely organise the music, in folders etc, they just upload as files themselves to the root of the SD. Best bet is set the SGS2 to usb mode and drag and drop as suggested. Secondly I would purchase PowerAmp App, much better than the standard music app from the Vanilla SGS2.

Regards

Phil

A

Anonymous

CustomCable said:
I would not use Kies as you can't nicely organise the music, in folders etc, they just upload as files themselves to the root of the SD. Best bet is set the SGS2 to usb mode and drag and drop as suggested. Secondly I would purchase PowerAmp App, much better than the standard music app from the Vanilla SGS2.

Regards

Phil

Thanks. I will give that a go.

SteveR750

Did I read correctly that you can play flac files on the s2? If so how? I have got a pile of mp3 files on it at the moment that are a legacy from my itunes / ipod days. If I can play flac on it, then a whole CD / HD tracks collection opens up!

SteveR750 said:
Did I read correctly that you can play flac files on the s2? If so how? I have got a pile of mp3 files on it at the moment that are a legacy from my itunes / ipod days. If I can play flac on it, then a whole CD / HD tracks collection opens up!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.neutroncode.mpeval&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLm5ldXRyb25jb2RlLm1wZXZhbCJd

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Although poweramp will play flac files, they dont show in the library - only in the file browser.

To get round this, install and run 'Extended Media Scanner' from the android market. (its free)

All the albumn/song info will now appear in the library of your music player - (works with any music player)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts