John Duncan

Very good value to be had at the moment - is it a worthwhile purchase as a combined USB DAC/headphone amp, given that I have no headphone amp at the moment and it might be used with something like a Grado 125 or similar?

Does quality come close to a DACMagic (if anybody's compared)?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not compared to the dacmagic but have been very pleased with mine so far - also great servis and fast delivery order two at different times both on a thursday and both delivered the following monday with no issues

Neat little device, http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/375667.aspx - the fubar IV is on the right hand side - its well made, sounds great, the power switch is a little fiddly on the back once all connected up but nice little unit. Takes up very little space and plenty of power to drive your headphones - thought you didn't like my rig!

John Duncan

No, I loved yours - and am looking at creating one very similar - the 'unsightly' comment was a reference to JoelSim's CD player
emotion-2.gif

Did you get yours from Russ or direct from Firestone? It's just that Firestone are offering the special edition one with artwork on it for ?125 - just wondering if it comes with a UK power supply...

A

Anonymous

*highjack thread*

Can the Fubar (or any of the USB DAC's be used for multiple devices? For eample, can I run my laptop (itunes) through the DAC into my amp AND my CD player through the SAME DAC into the amp?

Or do I need two DAC's?

Simple question I know. Hopefully it has a simple answer.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:No, I loved yours - and am looking at creating one very similar - the 'unsightly' comment was a reference to JoelSim's CD player
emotion-2.gif
Did you get yours from Russ or direct from Firestone? It's just that Firestone are offering the special edition one with artwork on it for ?125 - just wondering if it comes with a UK power supply...

Oh sorry - now i know what you mean!

I got mine direct from Firestone Audio on the deal you mention - it comes with an eu power supply and a white uk adaptor plug - so can be used straight away - i didn't really like the plug and adaptor for my bedroom as the power supply sticks out at 90 degrees from memory and wouldn't fit under my bedside cabinet so thats why i bought the supplier also imported but has a conventional fig of 8 fitting so just swapped the cable.

I'm sure you could prob pick up a uk power supply if you are bothered - i bought a second for my computer room and not going to bother changing that as the adaptor is fine and more space in there.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Carlosfandangosuperwidewheels:

*highjack thread*

Can the Fubar (or any of the USB DAC's be used for multiple devices? For eample, can I run my laptop (itunes) through the DAC into my amp AND my CD player through the SAME DAC into the amp?

Or do I need two DAC's?

I think the fubar has 2 different dacs, 1 for the usb and then 1 for both the optical/coaxil - not sure how it works when both connected as would have to give one or the other precedent - can try at weekend and let you know just that my computer rooms a right tip so need to do some reorganising

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:Are you saying that I would choose a product based simply on its knob*?

*hint: yes

Well, that and the tattoo...

The one with the tattoo is half the price of the one without.

Usually I find it's the other way round, but hey...

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:Carlosfandangosuperwidewheels:
*highjack thread*

Or do I need two DAC's?

I think the fubar has 2 different dacs, 1 for the usb and then 1 for both the optical/coaxil - not sure how it works when both connected as would have to give one or the other precedent - can try at weekend and let you know just that my computer rooms a right tip so need to do some reorganising

Yes please, unless someone replies before the weekend.

Thank you.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I was a little confused there for a while, there seemed to be a huge price discrepancy between Firestone and Russ Andrews (over £100!). Looking a bit closer it turns out that Russ only sells the Fubar IV PLUS at £338.88.

Very tempted by the Fubar IV at Euro 125 (is there a Euro button on my keyboard?!) on the Firestone site, looks like a bargain. Do you know if you have to pay import tax or anything else if you ship in from the continent?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have ordered two seperatly and not had any issues and not been charged any import tax or anything - postage is 15.9 euros and you can pay through paypal

the second one i bought was about £6 cheaper i think because the exchange rate had got more favourable over the week - is was 1.12 euros to the pound up from 1.08 from memory

there is a difference between the fubar IV and the fubar IV plus - the plus seems to have a better upsampling dac in to not sure if any other differences

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:
I have ordered two seperatly and not had any issues and not been charged any import tax or anything - postage is 15.9 euros and you can pay through paypal

the second one i bought was about £6 cheaper i think because the exchange rate had got more favourable over the week - is was 1.12 euros to the pound up from 1.08 from memory

there is a difference between the fubar IV and the fubar IV plus - the plus seems to have a better upsampling dac in to not sure if any other differences
Thanks for your quick reply matengawhat, I am soooo tempted, when's pay day???

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Diamond Joe:when's pay day???

Friday...

I thought I replied to this already. Shipping is ?15.90 btw.Now write out one hundred times "I must read the thread more carefully..."

John Duncan

Matengawhat - a review mentioned a noisy output with some phones. Do you have any reservations about the quality of the headphone output (when used with top quality cans, I think he may have been referring to earbuds)?

John Duncan

Diamond Joe:JohnDuncan:Diamond Joe:when's pay day???

Friday...

I thought I replied to this already. Shipping is ?15.90 btw.Now write out one hundred times "I must read the thread more carefully..."

No, I think I actually didn't reply, or something broke or something - am working from home and have about seven screens on the go so I may have just messed up.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:am working from home and have about seven screens on the go so I may have just messed up.

So that's this site, Flog It!, a repeat of Top Gear on Dave ja Vu...

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:am working from home and have about seven screens on the go so I may have just messed up.

So that's this site, Flog It!, a repeat of Top Gear on Dave ja Vu...

SQL Server, seven mails, this site, Excel, Stuff, Firestone Audio, Ebay, Djokovic vs Tsonga at one set all, Pop! on in the sitting room for poorly son...

And now I fancy some toast.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I've not had any issues - can't say i have noticed any major hiss or other noise, as mentioned in another post I got a slight hum when placed the headphone amp on top of supplier but nothing major and they are fine when stacked any other way. I've tried sennheiser hd280s which are about 60ohms and my hd650s about 300ohms so have tried both the low and high gain settings without a problem - have a pair of Goldring NS1000s that should be here today/tomorrow so wll try them as well.

For the money I don't think you can fault it - its relatively new to me so not had loads of use yet or time to experiement - only thing may mention is with the 280s the sound is quite forward and poss lacks a little bass not sure if down to headphones as they're new also - some reviews online suggest the same for them ie forward and bass light, the 650s were just quite mellow - don't have any experience with the Grados

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
My Grados are 32ohms and there is absolutely no hiss at all with the Fubar, I think that review was referring to earbuds. For the money the Fubar4 is a no brainer. You can buy the Fubar without the tattoo for the same price with a choice of black or silver face plate, or at least you could do when I ordered mine from Firestone.

You can also pay via bank transfer if you don't have a paypal account, thats what I did. Was sent out on Monday with a Friday delivery date and was actually delivered on the Wednseday, Holland to Uk in two days with no other fees to pay (import tax etc). Nicely packaged as well
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts