Fubar IV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
its not very shiny - why didn't you go or the silver 1!
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Fubar is great little dac in black. Got mine couple weeks ago from firestone audio. it arrived two days earlier than expected. it needs at least 100 hrs run in time. sound changes are quite drastic. soundstage is very good and detailed.caiman in comparison edges over fubar mainly due to different op amp. best connection is via coax. usb can have background noise with some cans. as standard you get 2yrs warranty which is void when you attempt opamp swap. this small dac is worth having.

customer/after sales service from firestone audio is excellent. all qustions i had were answered very quickly.

A

Anonymous

Mine arrived yesterday! I'd been looking for a headphone amp for a while, so to get one including a DAC is great. Using mine with Grado SR 80's and sounds much better than my iMac headphone output. Sound has opened out a bit since I first plugged it in. For the money it is great value and fits under my iMac beautifully. Chuffed!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Sorry, just been in three hour meeting. Took me a while, but am now hooked up to some Grados.

Ooo...

Ah, that's what you urgently needed some headphones for this afternoon...

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Seems like Grados are a popular choice to partner with the Fubar IV judging by comments on here.

Incidentally, I'm still very much in the early stages of my appraisal, but I'm sat here listening to Leftism by Leftfield, and... damn it's good. :eek:)

Anyone got any opinions as to whether I'd get better results using the optical out of my iMac rather than USB? Improvements to be had?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Laceybloke:Seems like Grados are a popular choice....

All hifi enthusiasts will probably have a pair somewhere even if they don't remember buying any. (Like wire coathangers and keys that don't fit anything in the house.)

I found a pair of SR-60's in an old shortbread tin a few weeks ago when putting some Christmas decorations away. I remembered I needed to superglue the metal stem into the LH earset and put them away somewhere safe. (Then forgot to get the superglue and eventually forgot I had the headphones!)

That was years ago.

I have now repaired them and they sounded great through my Beresford TC-7520. (I originally used them with a Rega EAR headphone amp.)

They are back in the tin now because I don't use headphones much.

I also have a virtually unused pair of HD-595's somewhere.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:Sorry, just been in three hour meeting. Took me a while, but am now hooked up to some Grados.

Ooo...

Ah, that's what you urgently needed some headphones for this afternoon...

Yes, and they lay on my desk while I was in the meeting so I didn't hear it till after six. All I need now is my own pair...

John Duncan

chebby:
Is the demo Beresford Caiman still knocking around somewhere to compare against the Fubar?

Dunno. And I wouldn't be qualified to compare them I think ('ooo' is about the limit of my descriptive powers) - maybe I'll just hand over the F4 to Simon for a few days while I wait for something else to arrive...

idc

JohnDuncan:chebby:

Is the demo Beresford Caiman still knocking around somewhere to compare against the Fubar?

Dunno. And I wouldn't be qualified to compare them I think ('ooo' is about the limit of my descriptive powers) - maybe I'll just hand over the F4 to Simon for a few days while I wait for something else to arrive...

But which one gives the biggest 'ooo'? Thats a start.

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been a number of days since the Fubar IV arrived, and I've put it through its paces with a variety of different music. I'm feeding it with lossless files out of iTunes via the optical out of my iMac, through an Ixos toslink cable. The cans I'm using are Grado SR80i's. I have to say, I'm really very impressed. I've noticed a steady improvement as the Fubar has got itself run in, and the detail I'm hearing is incredible. It's a good warm, round sound from solid bass through to well-defined treble. It does show up poor recordings, but with a well-produced album it's giving some excellent results. I've been noticing lots of extra details that I'd never really heard before, even in albums I know really well. The separation of different parts is superb, and it's very easy to pick out an instrument and follow it through a track - but at the same time there's a really nice cohesiveness to the sound overall. I'm used to listening to my music through my separates hi-fi, but I can honestly say that this little set-up is blowing it out of the water!

I've yet to set up the Fubar with my Airport Express - to date I've left it in situ with my iMac as I seem to be getting more listening done that way. I may yet change this, but at the moment I'm having too much fun with it the way it is.

An excellent purchase - quite the bargain all things considered. I'll certainly consider the Supplier at a later date, but even as a standalone unit I'm really pleased with it. Thanks to all of you who recommended it.

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Just discovered that Firestone Audio Europe are doing a special offer on The Supplier, much in the same way as they did with the Fubar IV at Christmas. Look here: http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/

Normal price for The Supplier is 115 Euros, but they're offering it for 75 until 1st May. With UK shipping, this translates as £80 (give or take). Only about a £20 saving, but that's good enough for me!

Needless to say I've just ordered one.
emotion-2.gif

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard the FUBAR IV plus? For those who own the regular IV, did you consider buying it when you looked at the regular IV, and if so, what made you go for the FUBAR IV and not IV plus?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ID.: what made you go for the FUBAR IV and not IV plus?

I think most of 'em were reaping the rewards of a £100 discount on the IV, Firestone were having about 3 months ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts