Frustration Frustration

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Dance and hip hop with hard hitting bass sir :D

Pmc are right up your alley. I was a head banger listening to EDM mostly when I started in this hobby. So I borrowed my friends pmc db1i golds for a week. I've heard speakers that do deep bass. But for dance music, apart from the depth of bass. The speed is equally important. And the pmc's lived upto their reputation. Partnered with my friends then naim nait 5 ( the older model to the newer 5si). They just boogie with the music. The bass is deep, fast and pacy. I would say the pairing sounded wicked :D

My then qacoustics concept 40's sounded lazy in comparison ( though i still love the concept 40's for their strengths).

I was so impressed that I presently have the bigger pmc 20.26. Since you are presently looking for bookshelves I would recommend keeping an eye out for the pmc db1i gold's, as they keep popping up from time to time.

In fact the db1i golds sound sweeter and better than my bigger pmc. As the newer 20 and 25 series are lean and dry sounding speakere. But the db1i has a sweet mid range and top end, with all the bass you need. All the best :)

Reactions: nopiano

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Update : I sent those Elacs back the following day as it was clear that they weren't what i was looking for. I then borrowed the KEF Q300s from my neighbour (with a view to buying them) and straight away, things fell more or less into place. The bass is more controlled and although the vocals aren't as clear as with the Emit M20s, that's fine by me as everything seems much more balanced. The Dynaudios were so bright (in my set-up) that after 15/20 mins I felt like I needed a break...
I've yet to try them out with all my sources - turntable, cassette deck, TV - but the CXC transport works just fine with these little gems.

Reactions: newlash09

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
That’ll either be that they’re slightly less sensitive (loud) or because they’re a bit easier on the ear they are more comfortable at higher volumes.
KEF are a very dependable brand ime.
I have to turn the volume up with the cassette deck only. The volume is the same as before with the CD transport. Also, I hooked the speakers up with two sets of wires (bi-wired connection). Not sure if this is necessary or not ?

I have to turn the volume up with the cassette deck only. The volume is the same as before with the CD transport. Also, I hooked the speakers up with two sets of wires (bi-wired connection). Not sure if this is necessary or not ?
That’s a bit confusing then, because you said above that ‘The one thing I have noticed is that I need to turn the volume up more than I did with the M20s’. So do you mean you turn it up more on cassettes only?

You don’t have to use bi-wiring but it certainly shouldn’t be a disadvantage.

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
That’s a bit confusing then, because you said above that ‘The one thing I have noticed is that I need to turn the volume up more than I did with the M20s’. So do you mean you turn it up more on cassettes only?

You don’t have to use bi-wiring but it certainly shouldn’t be a disadvantage.

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
New listening update. These KEFs are more to my liking globally, especially the bass but it sometimes can be too heavy...which got me thinking about room space.
My listening area is very small (around 6m2) and I sit about 2 meters away from the speakers.
I'm thinking that maybe a smaller speaker might be better suited. The front port is definitely a big YES so the KEF Q100s I might like to try...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts