Frustration Frustration

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Over time, i've invested a lot of time and money in my hifi set-up. It's not a high en set-up by any means but it still has a cost for the average joe like myself.
The thing is though that I'm not getting much satisfaction out of it.
I based my initial research on forums, youtube, Whathifi and a listen at the local hifi shop and ended up going for a Cambridge Audio CXA60, CXC and Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers. Although I can see why these are all considers good buys, they don't work for me as a combo. I listen to a lot of bass heavy hip hop and electronic music and this hifi system doesn't give me my fix.
I've since got lost in the reviews and discussions about what to do..Should I replace the amp with a warmer, deeper sounding one? Should I switch the speakers because they're too bright? So many questions and every day I get lost in all the different solutions available. Thing i don't want to do, is spend some more dosh and end up getting a similar result.
I'm thinking the speakers are probably the main cause here and i've been looking at the KEF Q350s and the B&W 607s to replace them but will this help?
I also thought about swapping the amp for an IOTAVX SA3 or the DENON PMA 600NE but that could be the second step of my journey.
All thoughts are welcome :)

matthewpiano

I've never found Dynaudio speakers to be bass-light or unengaging, so I wouldn't rush to replace those. I own a pair of DM2/6 (smaller than your Emit 20s, which replaced the DM2/7) and they remain one of the best standmount speakers I've had.

I do, on the other hand, think Cambridge Audio kit is generally over-rated and I don't think the CX-A60 will be getting the best out of your speakers. Cambridge amps tend to be quite clinical, almost verging on bland, and I think your speakers have more to give.

Spending more money and ending up being no more satisfied is a very real risk - trust me, I've been there more than once. You may find a simple move to something like the Audiolab 6000A, Marantz PM6007 or Denon PMA800NE would give you a more engaging sound and make more of your Dyns, but the key to mitigating the risks is waiting until lockdown is over and auditioning. When you do audition, it's crucial to do so with your music and at the sort of volume levels you normally listen at. If you can, a home audition is even better.

I suspect that once life has returned to something better resembling normality, there will be a flood of hi-fi hitting the used market - equipment that people have purchased blind and found disappointing for their needs. I'd urge you to avoid becoming one of those people.

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
I was thinking of trying out the Denon PMA600NE (even though i'm not a massive fan of the way it looks) which apparently has a warm sound to it. It also has integrated bluetooth and a sub out. I am tempted by the IOTAVX SA3 though. it looks the business.

Last edited:

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Speakers are a very personal choice and its going to depend on your room and your ears, however it's where I would start.
Have you considered floorstanders?
I haven't for the simple reason that my flat is too small and the speakers are on a piece on furniture up against the wall.

Reactions: Al ears
I haven't for the simple reason that my flat is too small and the speakers are on a piece on furniture up against the wall.
That might be your issue right there.
Not an ideal placement for those speakers and, as previously stated you might need a more powerful amplifier, however in your position I would look for speakers that are going to work better in the position you have to place them.

matthewpiano

The speakers aren't right up against the wall. They're 15/20cms away. I also have the sponge thingy that I put into that back port.
Your positioning of the speakers, their placement on a surface rather than dedicated stands, and the use of the port bungs will all be contributing to sucking the life out of your Dynaudios. They're excellent speakers but not suited to this kind of set-up and your biggest reward would come from either finding a way to position them better, or a change to speakers better suited to the situation.

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Your positioning of the speakers, their placement on a surface rather than dedicated stands, and the use of the port bungs will all be contributing to sucking the life out of your Dynaudios. They're excellent speakers but not suited to this kind of set-up and your biggest reward would come from either finding a way to position them better, or a change to speakers better suited to the situation.
I can't do anything about positioning because of the size of my front room. So front facing port would be more suited? Any suggestions?

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
I bought them two years ago more or less.
What about the ELAC Debut 6.2s front facing port? They might me a step down from the Dynaudio M20s but if they're better suited to me room, that could work right?
I couldn't seem to find any front facing port speakers with my size requirements..

I have DM 2/7's. Aslo look at the used/second hand market for Rotel's RA-1062. For not too much the RA-1062 should help balance the system as it'll grip, drive and energise the Emit 20's very effectively.

You should be able to find a good RA-1062 for around £200 - £300.

I have DM 2/7's. Aslo look at the used/second hand market for Rotel's RA-1062. For not too much the RA-1062 should help balance the system as it'll grip, drive and energise the Emit 20's very effectively.

You should be able to find a good RA-1062 for around £200 - £300.
An excellent amplifier, got mine for £310. He still needs to look at speakers and placement though particularly losing the bungs.

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Ok so first step is changing the speakers as i can't position them any differently. I'm thinking of front facing port speakers such as the Elac Debut 6.2s. I'm going to get them off Amazon so I can send them back more easily if they don't fit.
I'll then turn to the amp. Thanks for all the input.

I'd be wary of halving the speaker spend and necessarily expecting entirely satisfactory results - I think Elac do some speakers closer to your existing price point. I think Focal also does some front-ported standmounters - Richers should do them with the option of returning if you aren't happy.

Last edited:
I bought them two years ago more or less.
What about the ELAC Debut 6.2s front facing port? They might me a step down from the Dynaudio M20s but if they're better suited to me room, that could work right?
I couldn't seem to find any front facing port speakers with my size requirements..
I'd be wary of halving the speaker spend and necessarily expecting entirely satisfactory results - I think Elac do some speakers closer to your existing price point. I think Focal also does some front-ported standmounters - Richers should do them with the option of returning if you aren't happy.
I would agree. Unfortunately set-up needs a complete rethink and it just shows that five star products don't necessarily go together well nor work in the wrong situation.
I would be spending top dollar on speakers that will perform well in the given position and worry about amplification later as it's less important.

Reactions: Tonestar1

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
I would agree. Unfortunately set-up needs a complete rethink and it just shows that five star products don't necessarily go together well nor work in the wrong situation.
I would be spending top dollar on speakers that will perform well in the given position and worry about amplification later as it's less important.
What should i be looking at here for top dollar?

gasolin

I have had a cambridge audio cxa 60 and it's very open sound but also a litte thin and bright

I have had Dynaudio emit m10 and they lack a little bass and are bright sounding

I have a pair of 607's s1 not the s2 anniversary edition which in the B&W group on facebook they say sounds better (anniversary edition) BUT steve guttenberg say it only has a slightly different tweeter and 2 different capacitors, price diffrence is that the s2 anniversary model costs 50% more than the older 607 s1, for that money you can buy a better amp, a good dac or what ever you like

The 607 has good bass. an open and clear midrange, they highs are good but denpendt on what you play, mediocre (sound quality) youtube video it will sound mediocre, if it's a high quality recording it wil sound very good

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfw8Bx6__cg&t

TRENDING THREADS