Front left and right speaker position for 5.1 system

clive m

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm going to mount my front Kef 2005.3 Eggs on the wall of my sitting room burying the cables into the wall !!!

My 42" Panasonic will be wall mounted, so where do I position my Eggs? Each side of the TV at ear height, or in the corners of the wall at the same height, I only want to chase the wall out once..... For reference, there will be 4 foot of wall each side of the TV to mount them

Thanks for your replies :p

Clive

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Think equilateral triangle between speakers and seat unless its a very big room. Eggs between 1/2m and 1m from edge of screen. Use as a starting point and then ezperiment if u can sincw rooms/boundaries will also have an effect. Toe in too ofcourse! Ear height definitely assuming screen is also at head height. Dolby website recommended

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Clive

A friend of mine in Kent did the same thing with B&W M1s but allowed for getting a bigger TV in the future before placing his speakers. Good luck with the eggs and enjoy the movies.

Best Wishes

Chris

clive m

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone!!

A few more questions before I get the chisel out :exmark:

I'm thinking of running a 'channel' under the plaster that would allow the Ethernet / HDMI cables to be removed / replaced, rather than permanently plaster over them. Apart from using Egatube trunking I'm also as the channel, anyone have any idea's or details on other products I could use to carry this out?? :quest:

I'm also after people's opinion of running an Ethernet cable (CAT 6) down a wall chase, together with Ring Main cables and an Aerial cable?? Is this advisable?

Once again, thanks for your replies.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm no electrician, but I would personally keep the electric ring main cable safely cased in its own plastic trunking under the plaster with any other cables at least 5cm away in their own trunking.

With cables such as HDMI, speaker and ethernet, I would want to be able to replace them easily in the future.

I have a D-line 40mm x 20mm piece of trunking running down the wall from the ceiling, going behind the wall mounted tv and down to the av equipment. It is big enough to take 2 x ethernet cables, one mains cable, one HDMI cable, one arial cable, and 3 x speaker cables. It is the same colour as the walls and unless you look for it, you would not normally notice it. As an option - it is easy to open and get at the cables - maybe not as neat as a wall chase though.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
On a related thought, just think very carefully before choosing the exact positioning of the TV.

A common problem is that people decide where to put it whilst stood up, perhaps locating it in the same way they might hang a picture on the wall. They then permanently fix it to the wall, sit down on their sofa and realise they're having to crick their neck to see it because they've sited it too high.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Leeps said:
On a related thought, just think very carefully before choosing the exact positioning of the TV.

A common problem is that people decide where to put it whilst stood up, perhaps locating it in the same way they might hang a picture on the wall. They then permanently fix it to the wall, sit down on their sofa and realise they're having to crick their neck to see it because they've sited it too high.

Yep - I did this - thankfully only by six inches though - but one day when I re-decorate I will be lowering the tv bracket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts