Hi there!

I know this is an awfully common topic but I am really struggling and have tried every possible thing I can think of and have seemingly got no where. I have a serious problem with humming coming from my HiFi when trying to use my project genie. It is hooked up to an old Phillips receiver with a built in preamp and earthed to the case too.
The problem I have is a horrific hum at quite a low frequency, it seems to half when the turntable is grounded to the receiver but it is still too loud to enjoy any music. I have tried grounding both receiver and turntable to the mains but has only made it worse! I have found however that if I hook up a headphone fiio amp between the turntable and receiver it improves dramtically, as if the current from the headphone amp cancels out the him, however sound quality is seriously compromised!

I am serious out of ideas and wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas I haven't thought of! I have even tried 3 different locations with no surrounding interference and still no difference!

Thank you for your time! All help would be much appreciated!

Douglas Wicker

Always a tricky one is hum. I would strongly suggest you check the wiring at the cartridge end first then make sure the TT is grounded to something other than the receiver as I feel this is most likely to be the cause. Can you beg or borrow an amp from someone and try your TT with that?

I've checked the cartridge a few times but I'm not sure what im looking for. The original cartridge was broken when I got it so I bought a cheap audio techinca one from Amazon till I can save up for a dedicated one. I have tried grounding the TT to the mains on its own and with the amp but every time it seemed to make it worse!? I'm hoping to try a friends amp later this week so I hope I can make some progress there! Thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts