Freeview / satellite radio vs DAB

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
I was after a DAB tuner but was disappointed by reviews stating that even the best ones were hampered by poor UK dab bit rates. It turns out that the bitrates delivered by radio on freeview tuners and satellite receivers are mostly double that of DAB!
SO I bought a Musical Fidelity V-Dac (£140) instead and connected the digital output from my freeview tuner.
Well impressed, the sound can't match my dedicated arcam cdp but is clean, punchy and has better dynamics than I expected. (You can't expect too much from 192kbs, but its better than 128kbs or less).
Has anyone else gone down this route?
Oh, I can also play computer files through it..You can't do that with a DAB tuner

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
nij_1:I was after a DAB tuner but was disappointed by reviews stating that even the best ones were hampered by poor UK dab bit rates. It turns out that the bitrates delivered by radio on freeview tuners and satellite receivers are mostly double that of DAB!
SO I bought a Musical Fidelity V-Dac (£140) instead and connected the digital output from my freeview tuner.
Well impressed, the sound can't match my dedicated arcam cdp but is clean, punchy and has better dynamics than I expected. (You can't expect too much from 192kbs, but its better than 128kbs or less).
Has anyone else gone down this route?
Oh, I can also play computer files through it..You can't do that with a DAB tuner

I'm not a big radio listener but for the cost of an optical lead, I use Sky HD with my Dacmagic - also good for Jools Holland, Glastonbury etc..

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the radio stations broadcast at their chosen bit rate. So how can two different receivers receive differing bit rates? If it is broadcast at 128 or lower how can it be received at 192? I am confused.

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, that was on my mind too when I bought the thing. I had a surround set up a few years ago but never fell in love with it. Stereo does it for me, less messy!
just got to wait till the festivals start.

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi jimdonnely
I dunno, but if you do a google search on freeview v dab bit rates, sites will give you the difference between selected radio stations through each transmission method.
www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/digital_radio_bit_rates.htm

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Ok, I'll have a look. Just seems odd that a radio station will transmit the same programme twice in different bit rates, but I suppose that what Sky do with HD. I'm losing the plot with all this technology stuff. Maybe I am getting too old.

A

Anonymous

Satellite Radio Tuner offers thousands of Satellite Radio

Tuner Latest Satellite Radio Tuner products are posted daily.

Online shopping for Top Brands.This component Satellite Radio

Home Tuner works with any audio system. Use the included

remote control to operate the SRH2000 from across the room.Ten

years ago it was digital HD radio, two years ago it was

satellite radio, now it's the internet radio tuner that is

making waves in the tech ...

Satellite Radio Tune

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty easy to downsample or transcode a single digital source feed to different bitrates and different codecs for different media (DAB, internet etc.). Interestingly enough the analogue FM signal is actually sent to the transmitters as a digital signal (Nicam) and then passed through a D-A converter for broadcast.

T

the record spot

I've been listening to internet radio for a year or two now via phone - my current Nokia E52 and the preceeding E55 had this capability, so it's been a handy feature as it can be played in the office! More recently, the Onkyo I'm using now has this capability thanks to the network connectivity and I'm spoilt for choice for radio at home now. Quality is very good.

multybit

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It is still very sad only KEXP delivers a 1411 KBPS bitrate

The Philips Redbook (the technical details for a Compact Disc) says : The audio bit rate is 1,411.2 kbit/s (as 2 channels × 44,100 samples per second per channel × 16 bits per sample = 1,411,200 bit/s = 1,411.2 kbit/s).

A lot of people have so heavily damaged their ears they cannot hear the difference anymore, but in my case (I'm 50 year old) the difference in audio quality between streaming radio and an excellent recorded CD on a high quality deck like Sony cdp 338esd is HUGE. A good CD player, a good CD an excellent amp and speakers may reproduce that well that you really "feel" the musicians around you... I never had this experience on streaming radio...

You cannot believe your ears. But even the difference between a good cd player (Sony x-333 es) and a standard cd player (for eg a philips cd 630) is HUGE (you cannot imagine how much...) The difference can be described as ticking on a tin and a ringing small church bell.

But I must admit I'm a little bit spoiled : Kenwood Model 500 amp (Supreme Series) , Infinity Qb speakers, Sony cdp 338esd, kenwood kt 990d (the FM tuner could be better.. .) Magnum Dynalab ST2 antenna and xtrend xt 6500 (for satellite - mostly 318 kbps )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts