Old set up vs new set up

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi peeps, I am new here.

Back in 1990/1 (can't remember which year now) - I bought a pair of Rogers LS6a's and an Arcam Delta 60. Back then I thought it was the best thing I'd ever heard. My Dad had a pair of Linn Sara's - which he was running through a Linn Amp, and when we tried the Rogers on that also - the compairson between them and the Sara's left us susprised to find the Rogers were a better sounding speaker, by quite a strech. But recently, the Rogers blew after 22 years or so useage... and instead of getting them repaired (altough I still have them) - I started out again.
I bought myself a pair of B&W CM10's, along with a second hand Linn Klout and Kairn (later models). The only thing I haven't upgraded yet is a CD player. I've put down the deposit on a Naim CD5XS, which I'll get in February - but with the CM10's and Linn amps, I'm currently using an old Philips CD610.

Thing is, I expected to be blown away with the CM10's and klout and Kairn - It's certainly a powerful sound, punchy as hell too. But I'm not as impressed with it as the Roger's LS6a's - which sounded a LOT more natural, plus the sound didn't sound like it was coming out of the speakers as much as it does with this new setup (I'm curious as to if the CD player upgrade will make that much difference).

But also now, I am thinking that my best move might be to get those Rogers speakers repaired (as the cainets are still in good condition) and use them with the Klout and Kairn, plus the Naim cd player, when I get it. As I just can't imagine the Naim will make that much difference.

Does it sound crazy that those Rogers could sound better than the CM10s? And/or could the Naim CD5XS make that much difference?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
it could be a case of 'the devil you know' - chances are you are too used to those Rogers or the CM 10's deliver more detail than you're used to.

how would you discribe the differences between these speakers.

The cdp could make a difference but generally speaking you are getting most of what these speakers will deliver i.e emphesis on bass or midrange or top end

pls expand.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

I have a Linn Kairn and an LK100 (the Klout is a big step up)......and for what it's worth, prefer the "old" Linn sound.

My advice would be to consider a Linn Streamer (Sneaky or Majik) and some Kef LS50s.....if the Kef's don't do it for you (but I'm convinced they will), get your old ones fixed. I think this will get your system singing again as it should.

Saying that, another speaker that I liked on the end of my Linn system were the Spendor SA1s (now replaced by the D1s, which would be worth a listen).....the Spendor needs a smallish room to have enough scale.

Demo all options, and don't take my word for this.

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
The Rogers sounded much more natural - the blance between bass, midrange and top end was just right. A very open and big sound.
The B&W's in compairon, sound boxey, though more punchy (I suspect that also might be down to the Linn amps?). As I said, it's more as if the sound is coming from the speakers instead of just being there, if you get my drift...
The set up I've got now seems to be lacking in midrange a little compared to my old set up as well. And the bass kinda drones (if that's the right word, I'm not sure how to describe it) on certain tracks. Queens "I was born to love you" is one paricular track stands out as doing so. Overall, something doesn't sound right. It's got the punch, and the depth, but something's not right.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd be very surprised in the Naim proves a massive step up from the 610 (I had the mk2, and thought it was great. Rose tinted specs ?).

Maybe see if you can borrow a dac from your dealer. I seem to remember the Phillips were praised for their transports.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Will said:
The Rogers sounded much more natural - the blance between bass, midrange and top end was just right. A very open and big sound.
The B&W's in compairon, sound boxey, though more punchy (I suspect that also might be down to the Linn amps?). As I said, it's more as if the sound is coming from the speakers instead of just being there, if you get my drift...
The set up I've got now seems to be lacking in midrange a little compared to my old set up as well. And the bass kinda drones (if that's the right word, I'm not sure how to describe it) on certain tracks. Queens "I was born to love you" is one paricular track stands out as doing so. Overall, something doesn't sound right. It's got the punch, and the depth, but something's not right.

I can believe that Linn and B&W wouldn't be a great mix......imo. it's not worth beating a dead horse.

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Will said:

I can believe that Linn and B&W wouldn't be a great mix......imo. it's not worth beating a dead horse.

It's been an expensive way of finding out if that is the case. :cry:

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Also, because of this, it's reinforced my thoughts on those Ls6a's. Does anyone know what the modern equivalent would be to them? (or the Ls7's, which it seems are still held in high regard)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Will said:
Also, because of this, it's reinforced my thoughts on those Ls6a's. Does anyone know what the modern equivalent would be to them? (or the Ls7's, which it seems are still held in high regard)

There was a good reason why I suggested Kef's LS50s.

You might like to read this while paper: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-ls50a-technical-tour-de-force

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again.

The write-ups sound promising. They're quite a bit smaller than the ls6a's - so I should imagine less bass than what I'm used to. Although I'm tempted to have a listen now. What about the KEF R300 speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Will said:
Thanks again.

The write-ups sound promising. They're quite a bit smaller than the ls6a's - so I should imagine less bass than what I'm used to. Although I'm tempted to have a listen now. What about the KEF R300 speakers?

They sound much bigger than they look, if well driven (which they will be) and on decent stands (heavy and filled).

The R300s have much more scale, but lose a little of the speed and accuracy........see if you can borrow both to try in situ, or failing that, bring your amp to the shop.

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I must say, I do like what I'm reading about the R300s, plus the look of them. Elsewhere on this forum, I read through the 'KEF R300 Best speakers I've ever heard' post too. I'll ask at my local shop about them tomorrow.

I still want to get my Rogers fixed, even if I let them go afterwards I'd still make a bit of money from doing so. Not sure what I'll do with the CM10's. Shame really, lovely looking speaker. My own fault though - should've listened first.

*Just come back here to add something else*....

Since I've had the CM10's have been using the bungs in the back of them, I've just removed those. Tomorrow, I'll try them at a decent volume and see if it makes them any better. (I read that using bungs can make speakers sound like sealed boxes - not sure if that's true or not).

Anyway, I'll let you know tomorrow if there's an improvment...

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

I finally got around to getting the Naim CD 5XS, and rid of the old Phillps CD player. And I have to say, as soon as I got it going and heard it, I knew hat the money I'd spent a few months back on the CM10's and Linn amps (as well as the Naim cd player) had been worthwhile. The Naim's brought everything together and it now sounds superb. It's opened up the sound, made it richer, and yes, it's honestly made the world of difference.
Now at last, I am thoroughly pleased with the set up, and it's far better than the old set up I had years ago.

That old Phillips player was seriously letting the rest down.

Will

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

I finally got around to getting the Naim CD 5XS, and rid of the old Phillps CD player. And I have to say, as soon as I got it going and heard it, I knew that the money I'd spent a few months back on the CM10's and Linn amps (as well as the Naim cd player) had been worthwhile. The Naim's brought everything together and it now sounds superb. It's opened up the sound, made it richer, and yes, it's honestly made the world of difference.
Now at last, I am thoroughly pleased with the set up, and it's far better than the old set up I had years ago.

That old Phillips player was seriously letting the rest down.

TRENDING THREADS