Fosi Audio DA2120C for my Tannoy Revolution DC6T?

rooby

May 10, 2021
Visit site
Hey guys, I was wondering if the Fosi Audio DA2120C would be sufficient to run a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6Ts that I recently acquired? Total noob here.
Would also appreciate better alternatives for a sub $200 amp for the Tannoys.

insider9

Hi Rooby and welcome to the forum. With sub $200 budget I would be looking at a second hand amp. I'm not saying the unit won't work with your speakers but it will be far from what you can get out of your speakers.

These Tannoys can be quite good when driven properly. Manufacturer is very creative with specs writing them out as 2 × 125 W at 10% THD+N Into 4 Ω. Well at 10% THD+N you'd hear distortion so that's not useable spec. Based on that I'd avoid this unit.

Are you only willing to buy new? Is it an amp you're looking or amp/dac/streamer? What are you listening habits? Is sound quality the main goal or convenience / having music playing?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had that particular amp but have had a few small class d similar. They sound ok until you put something more suited in place. It's a waste having such good speakers and using this amp in my opinion. As said above if you are spending only 200 go second hand, but even second hand, I'd recommend to up your budget

Reactions: Al ears

rooby

May 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi Rooby and welcome to the forum. With sub $200 budget I would be looking at a second hand amp. I'm not saying the unit won't work with your speakers but it will be far from what you can get out of your speakers.

These Tannoys can be quite good when driven properly. Manufacturer is very creative with specs writing them out as 2 × 125 W at 10% THD+N Into 4 Ω. Well at 10% THD+N you'd hear distortion so that's not useable spec. Based on that I'd avoid this unit.

Are you only willing to buy new? Is it an amp you're looking or amp/dac/streamer? What are you listening habits? Is sound quality the main goal or convenience / having music playing?

Thanks insider! Well I'm looking for an amp but the fosi just seemed like it had everything in it. I'm open to new/used. I listen to almost anything from jazz to heavy metal. Sound quality is the goal. I'm planning to get a Sony lx310 as well in the near future.

insider9

Thanks insider! Well I'm looking for an amp but the fosi just seemed like it had everything in it. I'm open to new/used. I listen to almost anything from jazz to heavy metal. Sound quality is the goal. I'm planning to get a Sony lx310 as well in the near future.
Where are you based so we can offer suggestions that are geographically appropriate?

insider9

I'm not familiar with how easy is to source second hand components in Malaysia but my guess would be Japanese components should be in some supply. Hopefully at reasonable prices. With your budget don't discount decent home cinema amps. What can you source from brands such as Sony, Yamaha and Marantz?

rooby

May 10, 2021
Visit site
I'm not familiar with how easy is to source second hand components in Malaysia but my guess would be Japanese components should be in some supply. Hopefully at reasonable prices. With your budget don't discount decent home cinema amps. What can you source from brands such as Sony, Yamaha and Marantz?
They're typically going to be at about $500 and above. The used market isnt the best here.

If I had to settle for one a cheaper one now, would this be a better pick instead of the DA2120C? Wondering if it's the output power that I should be looking at. Thanks!

insider9

Honestly it's not just power. It's my experience that DC6T can sound bright on the end of a wrong amp. If second hand is an issue then as long as you can return at no cost if the amp doesn't sound to your satisfaction then order one and try. Your pick. I have no first hand experience with either.

Wander

Sep 8, 2021
Visit site
Hey guys, I was wondering if the Fosi Audio DA2120C would be sufficient to run a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC6Ts that I recently acquired? Total noob here.
Would also appreciate better alternatives for a sub $200 amp for the Tannoys.

I would choose a better amplifier, the fosi audio amplifiers are budget hifi, but your speakers are much expensive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts