Time from an upgrage from Tannoy Revolution Signature

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi All - I would like some advice please on upgrading my speakers. I currently have Tannoy Revolution Signature - DC6T (Front) DC6 (Centre) and DC4 (Rears) all running from a Pioneer LX85 receiver (And a Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra Sub) . I do love this system but I do have a fundamental issue with it. The issue is that if something has been recoded very well then the system sings and sounds superb. However, when something is recorded badly it sounds absolutley terrible - in other words it is very revealing.

When I visit my parents house my Dad has a pair of very old 1970s Monitor Audio speakers (Quite large things!) and everything seems to sound superb! very sweet mids and quite laid back in terms of the overall sound which a top end with an incredible level of clarity. I apriciate this set up is geared up for music listening but I wanted something whcih would produce something that had similar aproach.

The top end on the Tannoys is very impressive but it can be a little 'harsh' and doesnt seem to have the same level of clarity as the system at my parents.

I have been looking at the Monitor Audio Gold 300 and just wondered if this would be a direction I should be looking as a result of the above. I should add that my system will ultimatley be 50% for TV/Movies and 50% for music listeing - whether it be on CD or 5:1 blu-ray audio - so I intend to eventually upgrade the other speakers but for now it would just be the fronts.

Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been through this exact excercise - out of curiosity does your Dads system use a stereo or hifi products or an AV Receiver?

What source are you using going into your AV Receiver - how do you have it wired up?

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi ellisdj - thank you for your response. Well that is a big factor perhaps.....He has his speakers powered through a Quad audio Sterro amp. My speakers are powered by a Pioneer AV receiver which although is frowned upon for stereo listening, it is a high end 200 pound amp. The other thing which may cause an issue is that my amp is CLass D! Maybe the answer is to chancge my amp ? I could only really go down the AV receiver route though due to my 5.1 set-up but maybe something like a Yamaha would be better suited ?

To answer your other question, my source is CD, Blu ray Audio, and spotify Premium (320KBS) all DACs within the amp - HDMI from Pioneer blu ray with PQLS

It would be good to maybe find a stereo amp from somewhere and wire my fronts up just to give it a test, but I dont have any hifi friends with a spare amp unfortunatley

insider9

I don't know your amp but read WHF review. I know the speakers well as I've owned them. Amp was my first thought since WHF review mentions "Careful pairing" which in other words means bright. Tannoys are best suited to warmer electronics. Maybe an Arcam AVR would work here. Particularly if you go with one with Dirac Live. It would not just evolve your system but revolutionise it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
umbucker said:
Hi ellisdj - thank you for your response. Well that is a big factor perhaps.....He has his speakers powered through a Quad audio Sterro amp. My speakers are powered by a Pioneer AV receiver which although is frowned upon for stereo listening, it is a high end 200 pound amp. The other thing which may cause an issue is that my amp is CLass D! Maybe the answer is to chancge my amp ? I could only really go down the AV receiver route though due to my 5.1 set-up but maybe something like a Yamaha would be better suited ?

To answer your other question, my source is CD, Blu ray Audio, and spotify Premium (320KBS) all DACs within the amp - HDMI from Pioneer blu ray with PQLS

It would be good to maybe find a stereo amp from somewhere and wire my fronts up just to give it a test, but I dont have any hifi friends with a spare amp unfortunatley

What your doing now and what your experiencing is exactly what I was going through about 6 or 7 years ago.

I had the Pioneer LX83 Av Receiver and I was trying to get really high quality stereo out of it - it can sound good but never has the magic your after.

Its hard getting very good stereo from AV - something I have been hell bent on for years - I was convinced I could get AV to sound as good as stereo and to a large part I did manage it. However I had to part from AV Receivers and go over to Pre and Power and buy the right products from the right companies.

Even then, or even now I have an Arcam AVR850 - it doesnt do music like proper stereo equipment does, it just doesnt. To a point it does and to a point better but to a point it doesnt all at the same time.

There are a few things you can do - For stereo bypassing the Pioneer altogether will be the best approach.

Proper HiFi Dac and Integrated Amp (with HT Bypass) fed from a good source, not a blu ray player will sound best for music.

Then feed into the Integrated HT Bypass from the L & R of the Pioneer for movies only. This is the common advice and it is good advice.

Buying other speakers will very likely be more of the same - I went through about 4 pairs - B&W 805, MA Gold then, MA Plat to realise it.

If you dont have space or the inkling for all that then a music oritentated pre and power might work better for you - Meridian, maybe Arcam 860 as it has balanced connections and Dirac Live.

I think dont jump in - put some stereo equipment around your budget on your current speakers and see if that give you what your missing for music - if it does then you have your answer - if it doesnt put the speakers your considering on the end of a Pioneer Receiver and see if that does.

I have been through it all PQLS as well. Good source, good dac, good amp = good music (providing setup is good)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts