Format problems with the new Samsung UE55C8000 3D LED TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just purchased the new 55" Samsung 3D LED TV. Great picture except for the format problems. I'm finding it won't convert 4:3 to 16:9. And there's no Auto Format option. The Troubleshooting option in the TV tells me it can't convert it. Apart from that I have 2" black lines down each side when I'm watching certain channels including E4 and Sky Arts. Rang Samsung but no help - no idea whatsoever - waste of a 30min call ! Is this something I have to live with if I want to keep this set ? How can this be new technology. My old Samsung 52" LCD TV never had this problem as it had an auto format option.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You should at the very least have a button on the remote to change the picture ratio? Yes you have, it's the button marked P.SIZE on the remote. The first option is Auto Wide.

Rather bizarrely the Samsung website is under the impression that the UE55C8000 is a 46" TV, not a 55" one (the clue's in the name you'd have thought...).

A

Anonymous

set the picture ratio to "just scan" it displays every source in its natural format.. and when watching blu-rays , you wont have any overscanning going on ..

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I going to guess here that you currently have your SkyHD output set to 1080i? if so I'm also guessing your old LCD was a model before HDMI also controled the auto switching of your TVs screen mode? so your new TV is displaying both HD and SD using JUST SCAN (easily checked by pressing the info button on the TVs remote)

Try setting the SkyHD output to AUTO and screen format to 16:9 and you should now get TV programs in 4:3 now displayed in 16:9 NOTE to make sure you have your TV settings set to SIZE 16:9 SCREEN MODE 16:9 which will affect how it displays a SD image yet still auto switching to JUST SCANN fo programs at a native HD resolution.

A

Anonymous

Just checked the info button and it tells me Satallite STB - 1920+1080i - 50 htz.. No mention about Just Scan ?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Ally1,

Aspect ratios, don't you just love 'em - obviously not. The two channels you mention do feature a lot of archive material which would have been originated 4:3.

4:3 material displayed correctly on a 16:9 screen should have the pillar boxing (both in SD or HD). By making it fit the width of the 16:9 screen you are either keeping the correct aspect ratio by zooming in and hence removing the top and bottom of the image or stretching the picture horizontally and making everyone wide and fat and making the aspect ratio wrong - watch an old 4:3 edition of Top Gear and be amazed at the oval wheels!! (and none of those clever 'stretching' modes work either - watch a plane take off and enjoy the wingspan mysteriously expand as it comes closer !). 'Just scan' will make no difference to the pillar boxing.

I can't really see the problem watching a 4:3 pillar box image on a TV the size of yours especially as that is how it should be watched. No amount of techno wizardry can get away from the fact that that image is a 'square' 4:3 shape (not even 'Sh-ambilight'), and doesn't fit into a rectangular 16:9 hole. Remember you are watching the approximate equivalent of what would have been a 49 inch 4:3 CRT. Hope that helps !

Wish I was still stuck in Cyprus and diving!

Rob Scuba

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts