Can't get ARC working on my Onkyo TX-SR608 from my new Samsung RU7400 TV

brian_d

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Just bought a Samsung RU7400 UHD tv. It's way better than my previous TV so am happy with it. Problem is that all my inputs had previously gone through my Onkyo a/v receiver and the tv was purely used for picture. Now that the TV has Netflix and Amazon Prime installed 4k is great but I can't get sound out from the a/v receiver through the Arc HDMI port.
I know the receiver is older but even with all the settings as per the manual on the TV and the receiver I'm still not getting any sound. I'm connecting them using an "AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable - 7.5m / 25 Feet (Latest Standard) Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return" running through cable trunking in the wall. Any ideas welcome!
I'm pretty much stuck and am thinking my only option is a new a/v receiver

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I eventually sacked ARC on my Sammy KS8000/ Yamaha AV amp. It caused all sorts of weird side effects. Now I run the app direct on the TV and handover audio from the TV to the amp via optical.

Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: brian_d

brian_d

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Cheers Minkey1! I had considered an optical cable but it defeats the clean, wire free look i was going for when I embedded the hdmi/power and cat6 cables in the wall. May have to consider it again if I can't work something else out.

Reactions: Minkey1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I know. The idea is great, and I'm all in favour of the fewer cables the better. In my case it was complicated by the fact that my older AV amp didn't support 4K pass through anyway. So after weird HDMI switching issues I decided to sack it and just pass DD audio back to the amp and let the TV handle the 4K streaming and pic.

It's OK on my BD player as the amp can handle the DTD/DTS M HD audio and pass the video side up to the TV.

Hopefully someone else with more idea than me will chime in 👍

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Samsung RU7400 UHD tv. It's way better than my previous TV so am happy with it. Problem is that all my inputs had previously gone through my Onkyo a/v receiver and the tv was purely used for picture. Now that the TV has Netflix and Amazon Prime installed 4k is great but I can't get sound out from the a/v receiver through the Arc HDMI port.
I know the receiver is older but even with all the settings as per the manual on the TV and the receiver I'm still not getting any sound. I'm connecting them using an "AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable - 7.5m / 25 Feet (Latest Standard) Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return" running through cable trunking in the wall. Any ideas welcome!
I'm pretty much stuck and am thinking my only option is a new a/v receiver

Hi brian_d

There are actually 3 things that we need to check here :

1. You have to log into the settings menu of the Sammy TV, and enable sound output via ARC, basically defeating its own inbuilt speakers.

2. The hdmi cable should have enough band width to pass audio back to the AVR. This should usually not be an issue though.

3. This might sound really dumb, But my LG tv has 5 hdmi inputs but only one that is 2.2 hdmi + Arc enabled. Please make sure that you plug your hdmi cable into this one. Besides my marantz AVR has 2 hdmi outs, and only one that has hdmi arc enabled again. So please check these too .

brian_d

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Hi brian_d

There are actually 3 things that we need to check here :

1. You have to log into the settings menu of the Sammy TV, and enable sound output via ARC, basically defeating its own inbuilt speakers.

2. The hdmi cable should have enough band width to pass audio back to the AVR. This should usually not be an issue though.

3. This might sound really dumb, But my LG tv has 5 hdmi inputs but only one that is 2.2 hdmi + Arc enabled. Please make sure that you plug your hdmi cable into this one. Besides my marantz AVR has 2 hdmi outs, and only one that has hdmi arc enabled again. So please check these too .

Thanks for this - I am pretty sure that all 3 are correct and as you've stated but I will definitely check it all again just in case. N0.3 is definitely true as only one of the hdmi's is arc enabled, fingers crossed it's as straight forward as this!

Cheers

Tonestar1

Cheers Minkey1! I had considered an optical cable but it defeats the clean, wire free look i was going for when I embedded the hdmi/power and cat6 cables in the wall. May have to consider it again if I can't work something else out.

If you can;t get it to work and need an optical you could also use one of your existing cables to pull through an optical cable and a draw wire, then pull the existing cable back through using the draw wire. When running cables behind walls I always pull though a double length of spare wire, usually telephone wire or lighting wire to be used should I need to pull through any additional connections.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts