Floor standing speakers comparison -WHF team

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Since the release of the new KEF iQ50 speakers that appear to be a step down from the previous iQ5se, I’m wondering as to what the best floor standing speakers in the sub 500 pound where some regarded the iQ5se as first choice.

Considering the current financial situation I’m sure that allot are cautious on how they spend their cash and I’m sure that a group test in the category would be well received (and possibly shake things up a bit). Some that would possibly fall into this group (though I probably haven’t listed all) might be:

-Kef iQ50
- Monitor Audio BR5
- Mission M34i (M33i or M35i)
-Mordaunt-Short Avant 914i (or 916i)
-Tannoy Mercury F4 Custom
-Q Acoustic 1050i
-Wharfedale diamond 9.5

Otherwise, how do the forum members rate these speakers or other floor standing speaks in the class against each other?

T

the record spot

Shopping around might alter a few star awards for previous 4 star winners - e.g. Q Acoustics 1050i can be had for £259 if you hunt around, almost £100 off. Richer Sounds have the KEF IQ7s for about £299 I think and the IQ5se for £199. I'm VERY tempted by the Qs - a lot of speaker for the money, but with a good sound to boot. Well reviewed in WHF & elsewhere.

Incidentally, I hear that Q were formed by one of the guys who was involved at Mission before they went to IAG (according to one Glasgow dealer). They've certainly got Mission's knack of turning out good quality product for a good price.

RS also have the Tannoy Mercury's for £149 just now. (Sign up to their VIP email list but it's also on the website too).

A

Anonymous

Yes, the iQ5se are sweet, but the availability is decreasing and if you are looking for a specific the colour (try find a pair in black) or trying to find matching colours for a home theater set then you out of luck, I would say that they aren't going to be available for much longer.

I'm not really looking for value for money, which sub 500 pound floor standing speakers are the best sound wise (you may find a cheaper speaker outperforms a pricier make)

A

Anonymous

IMHO, for GBP 500, it's always better to buy a bookshelf speaker. Floorstandings start to sound good at 1K or so. At least that's my experience.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I would love this group test as I want some sub £500 speakers I've got it down to 2 the Tannoy F4 at RS and MS 906i's also at RS and I would love the Team to pick the best sounding one so I can go out and buy ASAP

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I love my Quad 22L2's which although were £900, can now be had a lot closer to your budget...

T

the record spot

SouthFly:
Yes, the iQ5se are sweet, but the availability is decreasing and if you are looking for a specific the colour (try find a pair in black) or trying to find matching colours for a home theater set then you out of luck, I would say that they aren't going to be available for much longer.

I'm not really looking for value for money, which sub 500 pound floor standing speakers are the best sound wise (you may find a cheaper speaker outperforms a pricier make)

Fiar comment - I wouldn't overlook the Q Acoustics 1050i's in that case then. Very good reviews.

A

Anonymous

I think the KEF iQ50 speakers look really good, I would probably sway toward them. Not before hearing the opposition obviously.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Well I've now put my Mission M32i's for sale on ebay and even my Teac micro I fancy a total change for the bedroom with some floorstanders so a group test would be really handy - but I like the look of the MS 906i's they have a nice clean look but I would change if the Tannoy F4's sounded better and that's where the WHF team come in

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts