CYRUS 6A Dac - which floor standing speakers?

PhilRis

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping someone could please offer me a bit of advice.
I run a Cyrus 6 a dac in conjunction with a Project Debut Carbon, Rega MM mk2 and a NAD CD player. I run this though a set of KEF IQ5SE’s (bi-wired with decent audio quest cable). Whilst the sound is very detailed and accurate, partly why I wanted the Cyrus, it lacks bass and feeling. It’s just a bit too bright. I listen to lots of rock, indie, blues, electronic etc. Many people have told me to expect this from the nature of the amp and speakers. Any suggestions / advice on which floor standing speakers I should go for to improve this? My budget is around the £600 mark.
Many thanks,
Phil

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The newer Cyrus integrated amplifiers aren't on the bright side like the older 6vs/8vs models, although they are still detailed. Also, the iQ5se was smoother than the previous iQ5 model, so I wouldn't expect this combination to be sounding overly bright or even lacking bass really. The problem with adding more bass to the system is that this will cloud midrange/treble detail unless it is done properly (ie, a better quality speaker than something at £600). Your best bet at that budget would be to have a look at the Q Acoustics 2050i.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there

i am running a 6a bi amped with a smartpower. I have these bi-amped to a pair of quad21l2's

this is the most satisfied I have been with a setup so far in my 3 years or so of eBaying!

it was the addition of the smartpower that really helped bring more body and fullness to the sound.

it would be cheaper to try a power amp than replace your speakers probably'?

will

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Before you start throwing money around, do experiment with changing seating and speaker positions. A lot of people have 'bright' rooms such is the trend for minimalism nowadays.

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just in case you may be interested, I have a pair of Quad 22L2 speakers in immaculate condition, that I need to reluctantly replace with bookshelf speakers owing to newborn.

These are beautifully smooth sounding with a lovely full, deep base.

Regards,

Jamie

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The newer Cyrus integrated amplifiers aren't on the bright side like the older 6vs/8vs models, although they are still detailed. Also, the iQ5se was smoother than the previous iQ5 model, so I wouldn't expect this combination to be sounding overly bright or even lacking bass really. The problem with adding more bass to the system is that this will cloud midrange/treble detail unless it is done properly (ie, a better quality speaker than something at £600). Your best bet at that budget would be to have a look at the Q Acoustics 2050i.

I got the old 8vs2 plus PSX-R but even without the supply and wouldn't describe it as 'bright'. Amplifiers that 'sound' 'bright' usually have high levels of distortion, uneven ones, rather than any frequency anomalities ... and cyrus certainly don't.

The 6 series has limited power but decent supply regulation. Used with a reasonably easy load speaker and I'm not even speaking about high efficiency it should be fine but there are limitations of course, both in loudness and current to exert grip on drivers. More reason to take care in choosing a sympathetic match.

Kef's iQ series of speakers use crossover components to cut off ultra low bass. A wise move imo as doing it this way they don't try and chew off more than they can cope with.

I personally think it is an unfortunate combination that will inevitably result in a slightly bass light presentation.

There are plenty of speaker brands around you could look at, some not so obvious as others and many dealer carry cyrus so you should have no problems auditioning a few. Worst case you'd have to take your 6DAC with you ... it doesnt weigh to much.

I personally would try and listen to something like Guru's Junior which is said to have fantastic bass even though it is a stand mount. Alternatively models by Sonus Faber and Opera have a 'warmer' balance.

regards

TRENDING THREADS