Fit to screen or 16.9

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have always set my DVD/BLU RAY players & TV's to 16.9. Is there any difference between SCreen Fit & 19.9 via the TV settings ?

Samsung 46" TV SONY BLU RAY

Thank you

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
near dark said:
Hi,

I have always set my DVD/BLU RAY players & TV's to 16.9. Is there any difference between SCreen Fit & 19.9 via the TV settings ?

Samsung 46" TV SONY BLU RAY

Thank you

Hi there near dark, how's it going?

Screen fit and 16:9. I think screen fit is the Overscan option. Basically with the Screen fit mode you should be getting the full 1920x1080 picture.

Pause a BD on a shot with plenty round the edge, then set the TV to screen fit mode and see how much more picture you get.

With DVD and SD broadcast content, mainly broadcast you may get black masks either side of the pic and sometimes little white dashes along the top of the picture. This is normal and should only be visible on old content. These days though they should have gotten rid it.

Check out this link for an explanation. A picture pesented in 1.78:1 should completely fill the 16:9 screen. 1.85:1 is slightly wider so you will see small masks top and bottom of the picture otherwise either left and right edge of the picture would be wider than the TV if you understand that.

Let me know how you get on. Oh and when you switch between 16:9 and screen fit use a BD presented in 1.78:1.

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

And thank you both for the help.

Its going well,thanks for asking .Hows you?

I will follow your advice and have a fiddle tomorrow .I will have more time then to properly fine tune my TV.

To be honest,I can not fault the current settings on my UE46F6500,but deep down I know theres room for improvement.

I have always thought Screen Fit was the correct setting,but have always selected 16:9.

I will post back after my fiddle lol

Thank you again

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Could not wait until tomorrow,so had a fiddle.

I selected Avengers Assemble,and went to scene where Iron Man in flying around.The view from inside his helmit,the HUD,was indeed wider with more to see then with 16.9.

Think thats my queestion answered :)

ps,

I have Motion Plus set to Clear,is this the correct setting?

Thanks

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
near dark said:
Could not wait until tomorrow,so had a fiddle.

I selected Avengers Assemble,and went to scene where Iron Man in flying around.The view from inside his helmit,the HUD,was indeed wider with more to see then with 16.9.

Think thats my queestion answered :)

ps,

I have Motion Plus set to Clear,is this the correct setting?

Thanks

Oops I forgot to paist the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

there you go.

All extras settings should be set to off, like Motion flow, Dynamic contrast, Noise reduction and anything else like that.

Backlight will depend on how the Brightness and contrast are set. When I set up aTV I set the back light to it's minimum setting then I do all the other picture setting having turned off all the etras first.

Using test patterens found on most Pixar discs and Disney/Buena Vista discs I set the colour, contrast and brightness settings. I check the picture then do the same again with the back light on the middle setting and see which gives the most detail and the darkest blacks. The backlight at the minimum setting may give the darkest blacks but might lose some detail in the dark parts of the picture. Then if the blacks still look too grey with it in the middle setting I'll take it down till I get the best compremise.

Do any setting in the darkest you can get the room. Not easy in summer unless you have blackout curtains. I'd happely come and do it for you if you are not too far away. I do charge of course. Contact me through my The Cable Madman facebook page if you like.

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again.

I bought a disc from PC World,it uses step by step guides for obtaining the best possible picture.Will post back .when I have used the dsic,plus followed your advice

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
near dark said:
Thanks again.

I bought a disc from PC World,it uses step by step guides for obtaining the best possible picture.Will post back .when I have used the dsic,plus followed your advice

Ooh £30. Sure you don't have any Pixar movies or any BDs that have THX on the back? Oh well you bought it now. I guess you can sell it on. I did get my THX disc for free at a show but I use it a lot. Hope you get the picture you want. Let me know what you think of the disc you bought.

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
near dark said:
Thanks again.

Ooh £30. Sure you don't have any Pixar movies or any BDs that have THX on the back? Oh well you bought it now. I guess you can sell it on. I did get my THX disc for free at a show but I use it a lot. Hope you get the picture you want. Let me know what you think of the disc you bought.

Hi.

I managed to buy the disc for £20 ,nice.

I used the basic settings option,most of the settings were OK,according to the test patterns .The only 2 which required attention was the Gray Scale & the Colour. The GS was to bright,adjusted the brightness not the backlight . The colour was too hign,according to the blue/green/red lens (blue test shows the error)

I havent used the Advanced tests as yet.

I dont have any Pixar BD,but my nephews do. How will a Pixar BD help the settings?

Thanks

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
near dark said:
Hi.

I managed to buy the disc for £20 ,nice.

I used the basic settings option,most of the settings were OK,according to the test patterns .The only 2 which required attention was the Gray Scale & the Colour. The GS was to bright,adjusted the brightness not the backlight . The colour was too hign,according to the blue/green/red lens (blue test shows the error)

I havent used the Advanced tests as yet.

I dont have any Pixar BD,but my nephews do. How will a Pixar BD help the settings?

Thanks

Oh well done that man for getting it at £20.

With regards the colour filters you get, the blue and the red will be most acurate. The green won't quite show green with black unless you are lucky. A full ISF calibration would almost achive this. You should get Blue and Black and Red and Black no problem.

Did you do the setting when the room was at it's darkest? You should also get someone else to look throug the colour filtes at the colour bars onec you think you have it as you would have been staring at the screen for a while.

So you did the Pluge? Is the test pattern white to black top to bobottom? Once the contrast and brightness are done and you've done the colour, go back and check the brightness and contrast. You don't want to see any colous other than white, grey and black in the Pluge. I'm sure the disc explains well what you have to do.

I say Pixar because they all have a set up section with simple test patterns for setting the contrast, brigtness, colour, overscan (mainly the screen orientation of how central the picture is) and Gamma. If there are gamma test screens on your disc I don't think you will be able to do them without a meter to read the screen. The Pixar ones are designed so you can use your eyes for the Gamma.

I wish I had one of them disc so I could help more if you get stuck as I don't know what test patterens are on it. If you come across a pixel clock screen thats a good one to see how well the pixels are working. It's basically alternate black and white pixels. There should be no moire (mirage type movment you get when looking at fine lines) when you look at that test pattern.

There should be a sync clock too like a radar screen. It will check your video and audio sync.

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Yes the room was dark,and no,I didnt ask someone else to view the scree/tests. I like things my way lol

The Pluge test was carried out,no real adjustment required here

I have asked my nephews if I can borrow one of their Pixar discs,will be collecting tomorrow

So far Im impressed with the results. I will be having another go with the disc,and of course the Pixar disc

Thank you for the help

TRENDING THREADS