Finally decided to get a subwoofer.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
After years of consideration for my neighbours, I've felt underwhelmed by the lack of low-frequency presence in my system of late and decided to invest in a (hopefully relatively unobtrusive) box to add the missing .1. Having never owned a sub (despite more than a decade of surround sound use), I'm something of a novice here, so all advice is welcomed.

It would slot into a system comprised of Yamaha 1065 receiver, B&W 602 and LCR 60 fronts (old but still good) and M1 rears. I'm not really sure what level/price of sub I should be looking at. It's also a relatively small room, so presumably something like the MJ Acoustics Pro MKII would seem a reasonable bet? The Wharfedale SW150 is also available for £150 now, but would I be selling my system short here?Perhaps I should be working with a larger budget?

Any help in compiling a shortlist for audition would be great.

A

Anonymous

strapped, check out the acoustic energy radience sub, i took delivery of one on friday and i have to say im very impressed with it..its b stock, but it looks brand new to me..and comes with a year warranty. only £197 here.. suggested rrp is £510..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for both replies. I just worked through the other thread on subs under £300 and saw both the BK and AE were recommended. I guess the only drawback is not being able to audition either of them. Is there anyone who has heard both and can comment on performance?

The AE deal might be too good to pass up on. As it's 'B' Stock, were there any noticable cosmetic issues with the sub you received Max?

EDIT: read post in full! You stated it looks brand new already!

A

Anonymous

nope..it looks brand new strapped..cosmetically perfect
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
And with the return option it's worth a punt. My finger is hovering over the buy button. Now for the really dumb question: Do I only need a subwoofer cable to connect this to the receiver (already I'm revealing my naivete).

A

Anonymous

just a sub cable and you're good to go.. pistol pete has been very helpful in advising me how to setup mine.. there is a little bit of effort involved in setting them up, im still fine tuning mine, but its worth it
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Happy to help......

It's a great sub, and they have been great at sorting out my replacement sub, now the original one has died on me.......
emotion-6.gif

I bought two from them, and both were like new machines.......not a scratch on them....

A

Anonymous

strapped, ive just read through that add on ebay, and it states that the subs are cosmetically imperfect.. i thought id better mention that seeing as you asked me.. although as i said, mine looks fine..

edit..only a one month warranty, apparently..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I saw it was only a one month warranty. I thought what the hell and bought one. It's not a massive outlay and will hopefully prove a bargain; and if I'm not happy I'll return it... Now some advice on cables/connections!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Happy to help......

It's a great sub, and they have been great at sorting out my replacement sub, now the original one has died on me.......
emotion-6.gif

I bought two from them, and both were like new machines.......not a scratch on them....

The only worrying thing is of one dies soon after the warranty runs out; though by the sound of things AE CS/aftersales are pretty helpful.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I use the QED Signature sub cable......

I spoke to AE about the one month warranty too.....as the original advert offered the year warranty.

Without saying too much, I would just contact them if you have a problem within 12 months......you never know
emotion-5.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
I use the QED Signature sub cable......

I spoke to AE about the one month warranty too.....as the original advert offered the year warranty.

Without saying too much, I would just contact them if you have a problem within 12 months......you never know
emotion-5.gif

Might be worth an email, then... cheers for the heads-up.

A

Anonymous

i doubt you'll be dissapointed strapped, the radience is in another league to my old brw10 anyway, even though it cost me less..

i use a poverty spec sub cable myself, though i may buy something of better quality..

(oh my god, am i going to start believing in cables now
emotion-3.gif
)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Max. I'm not looking to start another cable debate, but did the sub come with a cable when delivered? I can't locate the WHF sub cable reviews and I'm intrigued to see what's recommended without spending silly money.

A

Anonymous

no it doesnt come with a sub cable strapped, i cant find the whfi sub cable reviews either..sure there must be some though..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sub was dispatched today Max, so it's optimistic to expect delivery tomorrow... perhaps Thursday, so I'll post my impressions soon after. How did you get on with notch-fllter adjustments?

On the Buttkicker front bigboss, it's probably well beyond my budget, though I'd be intrigued to feel/hear(?) it in action. I'll have to abandon neighbourly principles in the short term!

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:
Sub was dispatched today Max, so it's optimistic to expect delivery tomorrow... perhaps Thursday, so I'll post my impressions soon after. How did you get on with notch-fllter adjustments?

On the Buttkicker front bigboss, it's probably well beyond my budget, though I'd be intrigued to feel/hear(?) it in action. I'll have to abandon neighbourly principles in the short term!

i havn't done too much fine tuning yet strapped, ive had a bit of a play with the notch filter, and it has altered the sound slightly, ill probably try and tune it to satisfaction tmw
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
And I'm sure you'll fine-tune the settings for a while thereafter. I was interested to know how complicated it is to get right (i.e. do we need to download tests that pass different frequencies through the sub)? It sounds like something I'll be endlessly messing around with. I'm yet to decide whether this is a good or bad thing!

A

Anonymous

jim did reccomend downloading test frequencies, apparently someone mentioned from where on a recent thread, but i cant find it.. i dont think its that complicated to get it sounding good though, mine sounds great as is, though i agree that tuningitis may set in
emotion-1.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash:And I'm sure you'll fine-tune the settings for a while thereafter. I was interested to know how complicated it is to get right (i.e. do we need to download tests that pass different frequencies through the sub)? It sounds like something I'll be endlessly messing around with. I'm yet to decide whether this is a good or bad thing!

I have a notch filter on my sub and it came with a calibration CD, just play the different test tones and use a SPL meter and find where the peak frequency is and then turn it down with the notch filter and just repeat the process a few times till you get a flat ish reading from the SPL meter and that's it.

Once I calibrated mine it was super deep bass, turn the notch filter off and then there's a lot of upper bass instead, better with it on!

If you want a copy of my set-up CD that came with my sub let me know and I can do an ISO and send it to your email address.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts