Finally decided to get a subwoofer.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash:Thanks a lot for that. I'll see how I get on first: as I don't own an SPL meter I'm not sure how this would work? It might end up being a tune by ear job...

No problem, its here if you want it.
emotion-2.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
OK, here's the dumb and embarrasing question:

The AE Sub was delivered this morning and is in-situ awaiting delivery of a subwoofer cable. I'm eager to find out how it sounds. Presumably as a stop-gap I can use a standard analogue interconnect from receiver to sub (or even a digital coax), or is this a bad idea? Like I said, I'm a novice in the world of subwoofers! Thx for any advice guys.

A

Anonymous

come on strapped??, im dying here
emotion-4.gif

actually im watching the "fellowship of the rings", its lashing rain outside, ive got the fire lighting and im loving this sub
emotion-11.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm feeling a little underwhelmed at the moment, but I'm not sure if this is down to my needing to fine tune various settings, or perhaps the lack of a decent subwoofer cable? I desperately want to shake this anticlimactic feeling, as so far the sub seems to veer from sounding too tubby or having little to no presence at all. I must be doing something wrong, though I'm not sure what. Maybe it needs running in? Maybe the new cable (hope this is delivered tomorrow) will make all the difference?

Seeing as you both were so impressed with yours, it can't be a problem with the Radiance range; but I've read the manual, spent the afternoon tweaking the settings, tried an assortment of Blu Rays, and it's just not happening. I also can't seem to get the sub to fill the room with sound (if I shut my eyes it's easy to tell where the sub is placed, despite the fact that I've experimented by placing it in different locations). I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with the sub I received? I'll reserve judgement till I've changed the cable and given it a few days to bed in, but you both sounded enthusiastic from the off...

A

Anonymous

thats interesting strapped, perhaps the stop gap cable you're using isn't up to scratch. its funny but as ae jim mentioned the other day a sub shouldnt really be heard as such, it just underpins the speakers. perhaps you were expecting more of an impactful sound?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I understand what you mean Max: the sub should blend seamlessly with the other speakers and therefore not draw attention to itself, but I either can't hear it at all and my system sounds the same as before I connected the sub, or there's a noticable gap in sound between low and higher frequencies.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something really dumb (a bit like somebody who buys a new washing machine and puts a load on without removing the transit bolts). Have I missed a key stage in the basics of subwoofer connection? As far as I can tell it's not rocket science: plug it in, connect to receiver via cable, job's a good un (at least in theory).

I'll persevere and report back. Perhaps things will improve tomorrow. Glad you're enjoying yours Max; and Pistol Pete, better luck with the replacement (I'm sure it'll be fine).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I changed the settings manually. It is working, just not to my liking. I'll run an auto-set up tomorrow and spare my neighbours the annoyance, as it's getting late now. By the way Max/Pistol Pete, what setting(s) do you use for crossover? I've tried experimenting with this as well, but it hasn't really improved things.

A

Anonymous

well mine is not properly tuned, but its doing a fine job of creating deep bass, it can be a touch boomy at times though, hopefully i can tweak that out..fwiw heres how mines set..

volume 50%

crossover frequency is set to 50% on the sub, but afaik thats irrelevant as my avr is controlling that..

phase 0..

notch frequency 50%

notch slope ..max

notch level..max..

as i say im pretty sure i need to fine tune, but its very bassy setup like that...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
What crossover setting have you set on the receiver?

Started at 80, then experimented with everything from 60 up to 100.

Volume on the back of the sub around half way?

Bang in the middle(though I tried adjusting this slightly in either direction.

Left crossover setting on back of sub?

I tried various crossover settings on the back of the sub, though I'm not entirely sure how this should be set (should it be the same, roughly, as the setting on my receiver)? If you can advise me that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

i ran the auto setup on my avr and it set the crossover frequency to 80, and all the speakers to small..

strapped, afaik the avr overides the subs crossover frequency when connected to the single, sub in input..

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I wrote mine down before packing up for collection, as I had mine about right FOR MY ROOM.

Obviouly these settings are dependant on the room......

Volume...just over half way

Crossover...left as receiver is set to 80Hz

Phase...0

Notch Freq: 40Hz

Notch Slope: max

Notch level: -3dB's

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers for the advice both.

If I understand correctly, the crossover setting on the sub is automatically disengaged when you connect a single sub cable line-in, so this shouldn't change the sound produced?

Need to sign-off now as I've work to finish, but I'll check back tmw.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:

Cheers for the advice both.

If I understand correctly, the crossover setting on the sub is automatically disengaged when you connect a single sub cable line-in, so this shouldn't change the sound produced?

Need to sign-off now as I've work to finish, but I'll check back tmw.

Correct!
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
My replacement sub is back on the granite tile....
emotion-2.gif

Delivery was just after 9am this morning....
emotion-21.gif

Not a scratch on it...perfect condition.....
emotion-4.gif

Time to bed the sub in again...

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
My replacement sub is back on the granite tile....
emotion-2.gif

Delivery was just after 9am this morning....
emotion-21.gif

Not a scratch on it...perfect condition.....
emotion-4.gif

Time to bed the sub in again...

emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif

let us know if you end up with different settings pete
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm celebrating the delivery of a sub cable almost as much. It's a relatively cheap Belkin cable (reduced significantly on Amazon), so perhaps things will improve further if I shell out a bit more, but having run an auto set-up and tweaked a few settings things sound a lot more convincing. Half way through the semi-degrained Aliens Blu Ray and feeling much happier! Not sure I'm completely blown away yet, though a bit more tinkering might help.

Glad you got your replacement Pete!

A

Anonymous

thats good news strapped, i was tuning mine this morning and after changing the notch level i went to make a cup of tea ( flight of the phoenix was playing at high volume)and when i went back into the room i seen the sub had moved half way across it..
emotion-40.gif

looks like more tuning is needed aswell as changing the rubber feet for spikes
emotion-8.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
At what volume were you playing Flight of the Phoenix? The average washing machine manages to stay in position on the highest spin cycle (you mush have been going some to get the sub to physically move)! I'd like to hear that in action, but not sure I'd want to live on the same street!
emotion-2.gif

Did you not receive spikes with the sub, Max, or were you simply looking out for your flooring/carpet?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts