FAO Brisk - alternative solution to buying your power amp

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
how about a pair of these AVI Neutron 5s with amp packs to run with your little dot instead of the power amp - if you didn't win the naim the other day - could be a real good solution - just order a set for my spare room - should kill your BR2s

A

Anonymous

I didn't win the naim, phew. Interesting solution, I don't really 'get' the Neutron's though. Are they active speakers? Would this make my marantz obsolete? Slightly confused.

I'm really looking for an upgrade for upgrade sake at the moment, so I'm exploring every avenue. Might just stick with integrated. I think speakers will be my next upgrade as the BR2s are probably my weakest link, although I enjoy them very much. Hopefully I will get to some auditions in the summer.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not in the true sense although they are classed as active -but think of them more as speakers with power amps attached - these would make your marantz redundent but if you sold your amp and current speakers would make a nice dent in the cost of these

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the advice. Think I will try and audition them soon. You said you have got some for a bedroom setup, how do they sound?

Just noticed you said that you have ordered them, let me know how they sound after you are all set up.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well i am hoping they arrive tomorrow so can have a play before the weekend otherwise won't be able to open them till after the bank holiday as will be noticied if i suddenly start moving kit around - not mentioned them to the other half and she will prob moan as already have two sets that i am not using!

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
The difference between the Neutron amp pack solution, and indeed the forthcoming neutron 2.1 solution and 'fully' active speakers lies with the crossover.

Speakers such as the ADM9.1 have an active crossover.... I understand this meaning that the signal crossover takes place prior to amplification (though that could be a terrible over simplification or just plain wrong).

The Neutron amp pack has the crossover taking place after the amplification.

By adopting the active crossover approach, you reap a number of sonic benefits including the ability to heavily reduce distortion.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thats pretty much right - the amp packs are basically just amplifiers attached to the speakers as oppossed to having active crossovers

is a bit confusing as still classed as active speakers but minus the active crossovers - think this is one of those grey areas in hi fi

The avi amps were always highly regarded so these shouls sound really sweet - like i say going to run it with my littledot mkiii tube headphone amp which should all pull together nicely

A

Anonymous

I eagerly await your findings.

Just out of interest, which tubes are you using at the moment? I'm still fixated on the Mullard M8161s. Looking at trying some more soon from different families.

A

Anonymous

You have to try them, they are great little tubes. I've been meaning to get some more but really not sure what to go for, might try some EF95's. Keep looking at the thread on headfi about dot tube rolling, but is so big I can never get any clear recommendations form it. They should do a variety pack.

TRENDING THREADS