Fact or myth

Popped into a hi-fi retailer at the weekend just to have a browse. When he asked me what my kit was and I mentioned my turntable, Project Xpression1 with a Clear Audio Cartridge, he said the Roksan Xeres, which he had convieniently in stock, would sent my listening experience to another level.

The problem is I cannot believe a two grand plus turntable would make my £400 Arcam sound significantly better than a £400 table. Am I right or wrong?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, there is the old 'source first' theory, which once had people using Linns with the basic NAD amp and budget speakers, but a £2k turntable does seem a bit OTT with that amp.

Unless of course he can demonstrate so to your satisfaction...

A

Anonymous

I think he is correct, the Roksan is in a different class even the Arcam amp will show this to be true, but to get the best from the Roksan you would find you would need better amplifiers. Amplifiers, speakers and turntables all make the biggest differences, provable? yes very easily.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My problem (right now at least) would be getting two grand to spend on hifi!

If so, I would be very tempted instead to opt for a decent £1000 TT and a £1000 amp. If the pairing is right then you will probably get more 'bang for your buck' than slapping a Xerxes into whatever you happen to be using.

However, I have always been a believer in keeping all of a system's components reasonably balanced in price/performance.

Incredibly revealing amp & speakers with a cheap TT are as bad as a really expensive TT feeding budget amp & speakers.

In one set-up you have the vast 'picture window' with dirt all over it and in the other you are peering through a little hole at just a tantalising part of a wonderful panorama.

A well balanced mid-priced system can provide a good view of what is there without throwing the shortcomings of any individual component into a harsh spotlight.

Spend £2000 on a turntable and it will just end up with you spending the same on all your components.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
silly:I think he is correct, the Roksan is in a different class even the Arcam amp will show this to be true, but to get the best from the Roksan you would find you would need better amplifiers. Amplifiers, speakers and turntables all make the biggest differences, provable? yes very easily.

Er, isn't that most of a system then, apart from other sources and cabling?!!
emotion-1.gif

Of course, some dealers would tell you to keep what you've got and spend £2000 on cables, mains leads, etc ...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you would get £1.6k's worth of difference IMHO... I spent pretty much that amount on my Naim amps (preowned) and RS6s combined, and even an iPod classic and a PL12d sounds stunning through them, so my original belief in source first has been rather turned on it's head...

fatboyslimfast:I don't think you would get £1.6k's worth of difference IMHO... I spent pretty much that amount on my Naim amps (preowned) and RS6s combined, and even an iPod classic and a PL12d sounds stunning through them, so my original belief in source first has been rather turned on it's head...

Agreed. I'm not buying, just enjoy waltzing around a hi-fi store when possible.

TRENDING THREADS