Extortionate prices for interconnects.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm quite used to seeing some ridiculous and often extortionate prices being asked for certain so-called hi-end interconnects; many of which are accompanied with a bucket load of Foo. However, having had a look at the prices being asked for AES/EBU digital interconnects (XLR), I'm quite astounded by what appears to be the biggest rip-off of all.

These are for digital signals (ones and zeros) so surely the same argument surrounding USB and Toslink interconnects applies? I cannot see how they can be charging several hundred, even several thousands of £££'s for a short length of cable.

There are much cheaper alternatives available from studio equipment suppliers and slightly more pricier ones than those advertised on eBay.

Assuming the usual criteria for build quality and robustness applies, these should be more than sufficient for the job?

Any thoughts?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
@gowith. Have u looked on this forum since 2009? In 5 years you may have seen a few opinions on cables. Suggest u try a search on here if u have a few days to spare.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Assuming the usual criteria for build quality and robustness applies, these should be more than sufficient for the job?

Any thoughts?

Yes.

Treat them like watches, a cheap Casio does the job of telling the time perfectly, but doesn't look as nice as a Breitling.

Beyond a basic, competently designed cable, they are merely audio jewellery.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
I wonder what pro studios use.

Cables that work. That is not meant to be facetious, but a real answer.

The most common cable in recording studios is a microphone cable terminated 'straight' with 3 pin XLRs.

These cables work perfectly well as AES/EBU connections despite being the 'wrong spec'. I have seen 20-30ft mic cables used to connect digital components that are barely 3 feet apart. They work fine.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:

Going by the over processed and often abysmal sq ... of much of current music probably the cheapest stuff around.

Opus and other speciality recording engineers such as stockfish and a few other select ones probably pay far higher attention to every aspect of recording, from the mic to final mix. I can't say for certain but it probably includes the cabling too, at least the ones for analogue equipment.

regards

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Jota180 said:

Going by the over processed and often abysmal sq ... of much of current music probably the cheapest stuff around.

Opus and other speciality recording engineers such as stockfish and a few other select ones probably pay far higher attention to every aspect of recording, from the mic to final mix. I can't say for certain but it probably includes the cabling too, at least the ones for analogue equipment.

regards

In reality, good studios use decent cables, but they are primarily selected for robustness, consistency and the rest.

The quality of output from any profesional recording studio will invariably be of a high standard, the quality will be fine.

The problems that you describe are mostly the issues of the record companies, their producers and mastering engineers.

TrevC

gowiththeflow said:
I'm quite used to seeing some ridiculous and often extortionate prices being asked for certain so-called hi-end interconnects; many of which are accompanied with a bucket load of Foo. However, having had a look at the prices being asked for AES/EBU digital interconnects (XLR), I'm quite astounded by what appears to be the biggest rip-off of all.

These are for digital signals (ones and zeros) so surely the same argument surrounding USB and Toslink interconnects applies? I cannot see how they can be charging several hundred, even several thousands of £££'s for a short length of cable.

There are much cheaper alternatives available from studio equipment suppliers and slightly more pricier ones than those advertised on eBay.

Any thoughts?

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Jota180 said:

regards

Perhaps a little bit naive.

TrevC

Overdose said:
drummerman said:
Jota180 said:

regards

Perhaps a little bit naive.

Indeed. As long as the connection is properly made all interconnects made with normal wire will sound identical.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
@gowith. Have u looked on this forum since 2009? In 5 years you may have seen a few opinions on cables. Suggest u try a search on here if u have a few days to spare.

Waxy said:

This post isn't about opinions on the effect of cables, or the same old rehashed arguments.

I was simply highlighting what I found when looking at AES/EBU digital interconnects. (Digital signals remember !) A bigger than the normal total scandal IMHO.

e.g. HiFi prices = AudioQuest 1 metre @ £3200. 5 metres @ £8000

Studio grade using for e.g. Van Damme cable and gold plated pin, metal XLR's, between £10 & £20 for 1 metre

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Although using the same coding arrangement as S/PDIF, the AES/EBU standard was designed specifically to work with the existing 110 ohm balanced analogue line level cabling and patch panels found in studios. The idea was that studios could updgrade to digital and use their existing analogue cabling without the expense of replacing all of their studio cabling and patchboards.

As such, the AES/EBU standard is very tolerant of the cabling and connections used. The suggestion that you need to pay more than a couple of pounds per metre for good quality 110 ohm balanced cable for AES/EBU use is laughable.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
basshound said:
I`ve just recieved the latest Russ Andrews catalogue,there`s some "interesting " stuff in it but one that caught my eye was a "super fuse " at £ 25.

Greatly improves the sound stage I believe.
regular_smile.gif

Chris

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Tannoyed said:
Think I'll give up ! My point is that expensive interconnection leads are not worth the money.

I agree with the general sentiment of your (now deleted) post, but i started this thread about a specific type of digital interconnect and the prices being charged for all "HiFi" packaged examples of this type.

The claimed benefits and nonsense surrounding expensive, or "special" USB, HMDI and Toslink interconnects has been well and truly debunked, but it seems the cable purveyors are still "trying it on" to an even greater excess with AES/EBU interconnects.

Kamikaze Bitter

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hard not to love a good cable wars thread. If you have friends who are not initiated in the ways of 'the hobby' one of the best things you can do for them is to give them a copy of the Russ Andrews catalogue to browse. Hours of amusement will ensue as they gasp at the idea that people pay hundreds of pounds for a 3 pin plug. I suppose its a bit like in Victorian times where a popular outing was to Bedlam to laugh at the lunatics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts