Rip off hi fi true or false ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
I have to bite my tongue on occasions, system building appears to be something of a dying art and components and combinations that I know to produce poor results are often recommended together, their unsuitability is easily proved by demonstration, though sadly I am no longer in a position to do so.
Agree.

matthewpiano said:
One of the biggest problems for customers in the hi-fi industry is the perception that there is a direct correlation between price and sound quality. I've listened to enough different kit at all sorts of prices to know that there isn't.

It's not just the hi-fi industry. Initially my girlfriend was cheap to run, then she became my wife and ............................ :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
...On a slightly different point, John Curl was, for a while, my boss at JBL/Harman. He also had did one job that I would have given my right arm for, consultant audio engineer to the Grateful Dead...*dirol*

My Grateful Dead albums sound disappointingly poorly engineered.

Especially when you consider that they are such an iconic band.

lindsayt said:
davedotco said:
...On a slightly different point, John Curl was, for a while, my boss at JBL/Harman. He also had did one job that I would have given my right arm for, consultant audio engineer to the Grateful Dead...*dirol*

My guess is it was deliberate. Nodoby would want to think they were a polished outfit now would they.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
lindsayt said:
davedotco said:

My guess is it was deliberate. Nodoby would want to think they were a polished outfit now would they.

John Curl was part of Alembic, responsible for Phil Lesh's phenominal 4 channel bass setup and later consultant on their huge touring rig. 'Owsley' and Dan Healy were responsible for most of the early recordings and defined the Deads unique sound.

John was an inovative audio design engineer whose career highlights include hi-end custom musical inntruments and amplification to the greatest touring sound system of its era, even including hi-fi, such as the early Mark Levinson amplifiers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts