External DAC for Cambride Audio 751BD to improve audio?

rootsrider

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ahoy partisans,

I have a Blue-Ray player, the Cambridge Audio 751bd, and I want to use it as CD player as well. I read now several times if you have a CD player and you want to enhance the audio quality, you might transfer the digital signal to an external DAC.

For the CA 751bd, I am not sure yet, if it’s worth (in terms of audio improvement) to enhance the system by an additional external DAC and connecting it via the CA’s S/PDIF output.

Do you have maybe any experience with that set-up? If yes, which DAC would you recommend (in same price/quality as the CA 751bd without “overkilling” the system)

Many thanks for your hints!

Merry Christmas,

Marco

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi - I have the 751 BD. Honestly, don't bother. It really is a very good audio player already, and a DAC at anything like what would seem like a reasonable amount to spend, isn't going to be an improvement.

I've tried via analogue and digital into my active speakers and I simply can't hear any difference. Before having these speakers I tried it analogue and digital into the Naim SuperNait that I used to own - again couldn't tell the difference.

If in doubt try it for yourself and get a demo with the most expensive DAC you'd be prepared to buy, but my advice is not to worry about it - save some money and enjoy what you have!

Dan

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Agreed with Dan above. The 751BD has the same DAC and chipset as my 740c which is an excellent <£500 CD player/DAC.

It is purposely designed to be an audiophile level CD player and prrobably won't be bettered unless you connect to a DAC costing £1,000 and above.

You don't say what amp or speakers you have but if they up to approx £800 you don't really need to improve on the 751BD.

Merry Christmas also!!

T

the record spot

Same as the other two, I'd stick with it. It gets good write ups across the board, so it's clearly doing something right.

If, on the other hand, you can't scratch that itch, then try and find a dealer who will let you try some on a sale or return basis (if you can). Then you'll see for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS