Experimenting with power cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

He didn’t really have many nordost cables as a small shop but he lent me some black rhodium iris speaker cable. Am trying it now. It is silver coated copper but it could be different.

I bought the 3 Titan Audio Helios mains cables and the Titan Audio Styx power bar. He is going to burn in on his burn in machine when they arrive.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Thanks for recommendations. I tried that qed silver anniversary stuff. Tiny and lacking any body in my system of yesteryear. This chord epic reference doesn’t sound balanced with new cables. It’s as if every detail is coming out which is good but with hazy treble around the vocals of female singers. Too much I think. I might try an audioquest copper cable and atlas again because they believe in the all copper philosophy. Plugging the black rhodium in now.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes one of the non silver telleriums would be best. This black rhodium is a bit like chord, it’s hazy treble around the vocal notes etc. Oh well, it’s worth trying what he had. Atlas hyper is reasonably good value but it wasn’t great on old speakers.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I recently found an old and expensive at the time screened and mains conditioning power lead? purchased from the Audio Salon in Scotland that I had stashed away in a box years ago when I downsized by Hifi.

I didn't even bother listening to it, instead just put it on ebay along with other miscellaneous items that were surplus to requirement like a passive pre amp and a valve headhphone amp. All items sold except the power lead so one day whilst wondering what to do with it I decided to plug it in and see if it made any difference (Linn by the way don't recommend such products which is partly why I had it sitting in a box)

Well I couldn't believe what I was hearing, it made a really noticeable and very positive improvement to sound, in all areas, including the usual focus and detail. I immediately took it off ebay and it's been in situ on the end of my streamer ever since, I wouldn’t part with it now. I wasn’t expecting a positive results , I had no interest in the thing really as it is big and bulky, and very inflexible and takes up 2 sockets when plugged in. I was kind of hoping it didn't make a difference so I could get shot of it. It really did take me by surprise and from that point on I would certainly advise trying these products and to keep an open mind (and ear of course)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I totally agree Mond, but you too have to have very good stuff as you clearly do, to hear these changes. The most revealing systems show them more.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I totally agree Mond, but you too have to have very good stuff as you clearly do, to hear these changes. The most revealing systems show them more.

Yes I agree, with a lot of things hifi related it all depends on the system in question and doesn't always apply to all other systems! I was recently blown away with the supertweeters I bought, made an amzing difference to my system, but the one area that was lacking was treble - so it made sense to try this option. Might not make sense on your system or anyone else’s, but I now swear by them.

It really is horses for courses and the more revealing and detailed your system the more likely you are to notice differences .......

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
mond said:
All items sold except the power lead so one day whilst wondering what to do with it I decided to plug it in and see if it made any difference (Linn by the way don't recommend such products which is partly why I had it sitting in a box)

Well I couldn't believe what I was hearing, it made a really noticeable and very positive improvement to sound, in all areas, including the usual focus and detail. I immediately took it off ebay and it's been in situ on the end of my streamer ever since, I wouldn’t part with it now. I wasn’t expecting a positive results , I had no interest in the thing really as it is big and bulky, and very inflexible and takes up 2 sockets when plugged in. I was kind of hoping it didn't make a difference so I could get shot of it. It really did take me by surprise and from that point on I would certainly advise trying these products and to keep an open mind (and ear of course)

The power of the placebo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oldphrt said:

You should be thankful to us loons on here...for without us, there would be no dems, no write-ups, no arguments (as there would be nobody to educate) and no whacky threads.

The place would die without us. Where there's Yin, there has to be Yang.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Oldphrt said:

You should be thankful to us loons on here...for without us, there would be no dems, no write-ups, no arguments (as there would be nobody to educate) and no whacky threads.

The place would die without us. Where there's Yin, there has to be Yang.

There never used to be bollocks written about hifi like there is now. It is a science, after all. :O)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I agree, it depends on your view as to whether you think it’s cahonas or not.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

But I wouldn’t go near a conditioner I don’t think. Tries to solve a problem of rfi etc and throttles current which is what the amp surely needs.

gasolin

Inspired of the peter bruninger video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXxekB7RmY&t the other cable thread and the fact that i get some tax money back next month, i went ahead and bought 2 pair of Clearer audio alpha one mains for my yamahas.

https://www.whathifi.com/clearer-audio/copper-line-alpha-one-mains/review

I had 2 pair of the cables, when i sold my Marantz PM8005 i let him have a pair (doesn't fit on my nad 3020i).

Since i needed slighlty longer cable than last time (one cable (i use for my cdplayer) would be to short for my yamahas) i had to pay a little extra, also a little more than the tax refund,but not to much. Chose free delivery so i think i would get them before next month,which is pretty nice considering delivery is free.

Who said it's cheap to have a hobby,passion. Theres also 60 Day Money Back Guarantee if it happens not to sound good with my system,speakers.

Also a thing that is diffrence about clearer audio cables besides that they make the cable when they get the order, is that you all the time get an order update like these (pretty nice, i don't know if other companys does that)

Date Ordered: Wednesday 09 April, 2014

Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Product(s) being manufactured

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

Date Ordered: Wednesday 09 April, 2014

Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Product(s) built and in testing

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

I was thinking of upgrading my gpu to a gtx 1080, that could have been a very expensive upgrade since graphic cards are expensive these days and i have to buy one before i could sell my current graphics card, my cpu is a ryzen cpu and therefor i need a dedicated graphic card. Have also though of a 32" 3840x2160 g sync monitor but those are a 1000€ minus what i could get for my main monitor.

Mabye graphic cards will be a bit cheaper,powerfull when nvida launch there 2000 card's and also with ryzen+ next month there is alot of money i could spend on new hardware, for now it's only a pair (2) of high performance entry level power mains, as you can se,hear peter bruninger in the youtube video together with the guy who makes the cable, talking about power mains,cable that could make a HUGE difference in sound quality.

When you you watch the video you know power cables can make a huge difference,i also think that a audio note system can reveal if power cables can make a difference.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
But I wouldn’t go near a conditioner I don’t think. Tries to solve a problem of rfi etc and throttles current which is what the amp surely needs.

Thats not true at all Quest far from it

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Thats not true at all Quest far from it
I’ve watched your videos on the audioquest power conditioner and power cables the audioquest stuff you had or still got are very expensive and would put most people of spending that kind of money on something that might not change anything or does change the sound .

But this bothers me is your paying out a lot of money on a amplifier and you have a demo of that amplifier your happy with the sound of that amplifier then you go home and use power cables and conditioner and DSP .

How much of the original sound of that amplifier is sounding the same before you added everything to the chain ? In regards of mains cables , power conditioner , DSP .

Have you placed Restrictions to the amplifier by using all of that

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Just going on my experience Ellis of trying the isol-8 mini sub axis at about £1300, which is comparable to say a isotek Aquarius i think, and the effects of putting the power chord from the block to the mains and two cables on the power amps, was much more dramatic than the mini sub for less than half the price. Albeit the two mains cables on power supply not to my liking, the cable on the block to the mains and one other on my streamer from the block is. Some people are going to like the power cables on amps more than me, and with the effect being more marked than the isol 8 with standard mains cables, I’d expect more people to like a power bar and mains cable set up to the isotek. If you buy the isotek you’ve also got to spend loads on the cables too. The two philopsphies seem counter productive - filter when the effects can effect dynamics and use big gauge conducting expensive cables, versus simply getting the current to the hi Fi unfiltered, obviously taking out nasties affecting the cable, which on my experiences is I think a better option.

dont get me wrong I rate isotek but the mini sub is on paper at least just as capable, if not more with dc blocking than the Aquarius. So I’d expect the Aquarius with the same tech as the isol 8 to cope and perform similarly. Also the guy who designed the isotek stuff set up isol 8 after they had a falling out with the current owner of isotek I understand.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Also Ellis and black sabbath, it’s very important to be aware of how much common Mode and differential mode noise are present at hi Fi shows like at Bristol, with so many exhibitors demonstrating. When I’ve heard the isotek demo I was amazed at what they can do, but it doesn’t relate to my experiences so much at home. That’s why I think a 2stage ups and regenerator is probably going to do a lot more and cope with all the noise too. The conditioners do play to an ideal of being good because they condition, like making your hair great. Obviously not anywhere near as much as a power cable and bar, sold for a price which is expensive (has to be due to niche market etc), that’s probably why I’d geuss conditioners have a bigger market.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
the Nigara 7000 allows the amp to work at its very best thats its design mate since I have had it everything I have plugged into has sounded incredible. If I had to buy the Niagara or the Luxman I would buy the Audioquest right now and worry about the amp later.

In this room you hear the kit more than in most rooms mate where its 70% room sound just for starters

DSP doesnt affect the amp its more speaker orientated and has only positive effects.

I am not advocting you spend any money certainly not niagara 7000 money although it would be a great product to try.

I have suggested a home demo of a product I know works really well and is a great product to try for a first time situation and is expensive but if you want to hear the benefit of these types of products it makes sense to try reasonably big to see what its all about.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Also Ellis and black sabbath, it’s very important to be aware of how much common Mode and differential mode noise are present at hi Fi shows like at Bristol, with so many exhibitors demonstrating. When I’ve heard the isotek demo I was amazed at what they can do, but it doesn’t relate to my experiences so much at home. That’s why I think a 2stage ups and regenerator is probably going to do a lot more and cope with all the noise too. The conditioners do play to an ideal of being good because they condition, like making your hair great. Obviously not anywhere near as much as a power cable and bar, sold for a price which is expensive (has to be due to niche market etc), that’s probably why I’d geuss conditioners have a bigger market. 

The noise at bristol this year was pretty low lower than the average you get at home and the Isotek conditioners still improved the sound. Lots of people heard it and commented regards to it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
the Nigara 7000 allows the amp to work at its very best thats its design mate since I have had it everything I have plugged into has sounded incredible. If I had to buy the Niagara or the Luxman I would buy the Audioquest right now and worry about the amp later.

In this room you hear the kit more than in most rooms mate where its 70% room sound just for starters

DSP doesnt affect the amp its more speaker orientated and has only positive effects.

I am not advocting you spend any money certainly not niagara 7000 money although it would be a great product to try.

I have suggested a home demo of a product I know works really well and is a great product to try for a first time situation and is expensive but if you want to hear the benefit of these types of products it makes sense to try reasonably big to see what its all about.
I would have the luxman that’s one serious amplifier and looks good too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts