Experimenting with power cables

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Regardless of beliefs I think these manufacturers will do what’s best according to their ideals on design, and you go with that or not and trust it on the whole design ie what it sounds like. I don’t think it would be a deal breaking, something as relatively minor to purchasing decision as the cable going with the unit. I suspect most consumers of high end products just buy and leave it like that, whether it’s a topic to us lot. But in any event you wouldn’t probably know what’s in the supplied cable. The chord screened ones look like standard kettle leads. For all I know if I cut open my cyrus leads they may have layered screening.

I was just looking at the cable to a Sony video recorder I’ve got (I’m digitalising music) and it states 2 x 0.75mm relating to the size of wires. Looking at the cyrus kettle leads they are thicker, probably 1.5mm Darren from clearer audio thought. So even there you’ve got them selecting a cable to suit the purpose, no doubt to achieve designed current delivery, so it’s really no different in a the hi Fi manufacturer designing or specking from someone else dialectric screening around the cable to stop interfearance etc, or going on what the cable firm say is best etc.
I bet if you cut one of your Cyrus power leads they would just be standard uk power cord as with all of the hifi manufacturing companies would have to follow the uk or EU law in this regard

So I would of thought that the posh power cords would still have to follow theses laws too as it just comes down to what the cable is made of but still has to meet the standard uk or EU law .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I do think filtering products are different to non yes and I see them as a necessity not an accessory pinching the phrase

In their marketing videos, Shunyata seem to have addressed some of my concerns over filters;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=cYCEFwK8pDg

With a demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=205&v=Z6f1kwyZbM8

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
Regardless of beliefs I think these manufacturers will do what’s best according to their ideals on design, and you go with that or not and trust it on the whole design ie what it sounds like. I don’t think it would be a deal breaking, something as relatively minor to purchasing decision as the cable going with the unit. I suspect most consumers of high end products just buy and leave it like that, whether it’s a topic to us lot. But in any event you wouldn’t probably know what’s in the supplied cable. The chord screened ones look like standard kettle leads. For all I know if I cut open my cyrus leads they may have layered screening.

I was just looking at the cable to a Sony video recorder I’ve got (I’m digitalising music) and it states 2 x 0.75mm relating to the size of wires. Looking at the cyrus kettle leads they are thicker, probably 1.5mm Darren from clearer audio thought. So even there you’ve got them selecting a cable to suit the purpose, no doubt to achieve designed current delivery, so it’s really no different in a the hi Fi manufacturer designing or specking from someone else dialectric screening around the cable to stop interfearance etc, or going on what the cable firm say is best etc.
I bet if you cut one of your Cyrus power leads they would just be standard uk power cord as with all of the hifi manufacturing companies would have to follow the uk or EU law in this regard

So I would of thought that the posh power cords would still have to follow theses laws too as it just comes down to what the cable is made of but still has to meet the standard uk or EU law .

I bet they are of a standard thickness conductor for the application and current/power used, I agree. But I suspect it’s more to do with fire safety than following ‘standard’ thickness conductors, if that’s what you are implying. You could use a thicker conductor in one of these cables, with higher purity occ single crystal copper or maybe silver plated, to change sound quality, and it will be as safe as a cable which has a thinner less pure conductor which is still fit for purpose in an electrical sense (but not in a sq sense, depending your views). The problem would arise if the wire is inadequate to the current drawn, and a fire started.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Then let’s look at what the claims of what a power cord from one of theses companies says

They are meant to stop interference going into you setup so you do not get interference out because of the modern age of WiFi and mobiles and any other interference that can get into your setup as your standard lead acts like a antenna as the cable is not screen against interference but the design of the standard power cables have not changed design for years .

The power cord from one of theses companies says they are screened against interference and apart from using a different kind of plug the construction of the copper is construction in such a way this increases conducting power which the amplifier needs when the amplifier needs the power on tap which a amplifier holds power anyway as reserved power when the amplifier needs it .

but the power cord is just a passive lead that holds electricity to supply what ever it’s got to supply but if it’s true what they say about interference from an unshelled power cable that makes sense to me but not about the supply of electricity that’s the point I can’t get my head round. .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
And the other thing I like to add is if a amplifier is unpowered buy electricity it wouldn’t work and if it was over powered it might not work or just go bang if the amplifier is over supplied with electricity as the amplifier is governed by standard voltage

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s obviously got to be of a certain thickness to not impede current. The physical properties of the cable have got to have an effect on the electrical properties, eg use of occ copper drawn from single crystals etc. The way I’ve understood it, is it’s not just about the ability of the amp to draw power from it’s capacitors, as if the cable is just passive and about ‘water flowing’ and has no effect, but the way the power goes into the circuits of the amplifier which is going to have a knock on effect. This explains it well in myth 1.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/why-power-cables-make-a-difference/

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Blacksabbath25 said:
And the other thing I like to add is if a amplifier is unpowered buy electricity it wouldn’t work and if it was over powered it might not work or just go bang if the amplifier is over supplied with electricity as the amplifier is governed by standard voltage

i wouldn’t get caught up in too many complexities - these are things which are extremely difficult to understand by us as lay people, and all interelating factors, just trial a set of at least two of the same decent ones, one into your power amp, the other into your power bar and a good power bar without busbars, or spike/surge protection,but quality star wired. You might/can form a view it doesn’t work if that’s the case, and that’s fair enough, just like I did before I tried a bar and lesser cable (music works and isotek evo 3) before I upgraded speakers, which did damn all. With really revealing newer speakers the situation is totally reversed. The people who say they don’t make any difference are probably in the same camp I used to be in. Stands to reason, doesn’t it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:
I do think filtering products are different to non yes and I see them as a necessity not an accessory pinching the phrase

In their marketing videos, Shunyata seem to have addressed some of my concerns over filters;

With a demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=205&v=Z6f1kwyZbM8

at Bristol Isotek demo'd a similar thing.

Someone mentioned they plugged an Isotek filter into their main system and they thought their second system sounded better.

Bjorn from Isotek then showed how that is possible in the same way as in the Shinyata video.

That was a surprise to me actually

Everyone down my street must have brilliant sounding systems with the amount of filtering I have got going on :)

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
It’s obviously got to be of a certain thickness to not impede current. The physical properties of the cable have got to have an effect on the electrical properties, eg use of occ copper drawn from single crystals etc. The way I’ve understood it, is it’s not just about the ability of the amp to draw power from it’s capacitors, as if the cable is just passive and about ‘water flowing’ and has no effect, but the way the power goes into the circuits of the amplifier which is going to have a knock on effect. This explains it well in myth 1.

Any adequately rated cable will work as well as a 1,000,000 quid one, and an adequate and safe one will be provided with the unit.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:

With a demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=205&v=Z6f1kwyZbM8
Nice videos again Cno. *dirol* Does what it says on the tin. *good*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm, so why not use thicker cable to your socket and not share it with anything else in your house? I'm sure that will make a bigger difference than your short cable from the socket. Plug your cable into the cooker socket that should make a tremedous difference if your theory is correct.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

We’ve got to work with constraints in the house/flat we have.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Well obviously not, as my kettle has 1mm conductors by the lead text, my video recorder has 0.75mm conductors, and i ascertained the cyrus units leads have 1.5mm conductors.

So as the resident expert, you tell me why a big hi Fi firm decided to use 1.5mm and not a cheaper, no doubt, thinner conductor cable. They’ve obviously specced it.

you come across as thinking you know everything. I’m man enough to say I don’t and can’t explain why these things happen.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Well obviously not, as my kettle has 1mm conductors by the lead text, my video recorder has 0.75mm conductors, and i ascertained the cyrus units leads have 1.5mm conductors.

So as the resident expert, you tell me why a big hi Fi firm decided to use 1.5mm and not a cheaper, no doubt, thinner conductor cable. They’ve obviously specced it.

you come across as thinking you know everything. I’m man enough to say I don’t and can’t explain why these things happen.

I don't know why your mains leads are different, but I do know that a power lead capable of powering 3kW continuously will be as good as any other you find, regardless of cost.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

You don’t know that because you’ve not heard what different cables do in a system, or more succinctly, my system. But you just propose that must be error. If you were really interested you’d make the concession of a change, on hearing it.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
You don’t know that because you’ve not heard what different cables do in a system, or more succinctly, my system. But you just propose that must be error. If you were really interested you’d make the concession of a change, on hearing it.

And we wouldn't hear your system in the same way as you anyway as we probably wouldn't have all the baggage that goes with the various options you have tried and your own bias towards it.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Well I’d agree nick in the sense we make comparative judgements of both different changes we make and between others systems. But cables are always system specific, so it’s not as if your could make comparative judgements of cables between systems because the system is very involved in the sound too, quite obviously.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
System specific? What on earth does that mean. Some work better than others with different systems? In which case its even more bonkers. How would I know which one to get or is that based on subjective opinion as well.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes some work better than others, very much so. Trial and error.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts