Ellisdj review Arcam

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Nuvistors glowing at the back end of the amp. They put green LEDs under each to bling them up, otherwise they are uninteresting little metal cans.

img122254_19750_10.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oh i thought it was 2 seperate photos. Hard to see on a phone. Cheers.

The lights around the tubes are really nice, similar to what mcintosh do

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
There is more there fore sure, massive sound not enough refinement for me. I think I know the reasons, just didnt have the time to work on it. I did really like the Nu Vista, its a very nice amp overall to look at, to touch and use and to listen to. What more can they do in that regard

How do you know the lack of refinement wasn't coming from Chord?.....which has attributes that include neutrality, incredible detail and ballsy excitement with amazing dynamics. I have never heard a piece of Chord gear that I would describe as refined and organic.....for that I would look to a Linn DS or Electrocompaniet....maybe The Dave is different.

I would say the New Refs sound more refined than what I have.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That is what I was getting from the Dave as you mention - talking about wanting more refinement I mean from the Dave - thats the best source the speakers have had

If I explain the reason I will be called mad obviously - but I was using one my older original XLO Limited Edition power cables on it which make everything sound massive but not that refined.

The newer ones are more in balance - less big but better definition - I ddnt try one of those cables to see if that helps.

I did put a isolation device on top of the Dave and that helped bring things more into focus and I planned to put 4 under and 1 on top but sadly it had to go back as it was needed for a demo. I do hope to get it back to do a review on it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
That is what I was getting from the Dave as you mention - talking about wanting more refinement I mean from the Dave - thats the best source the speakers have had

If I explain the reason I will be called mad obviously - but I was using one my older original XLO Limited Edition power cables on it which make everything sound massive but not that refined.

The newer ones are more in balance - less big but better definition - I ddnt try one of those cables to see if that helps.

I did put a isolation device on top of the Dave and that helped bring things more into focus and I planned to put 4 under and 1 on top but sadly it had to go back as it was needed for a demo. I do hope to get it back to do a review on it.

When it comes to how a Mains Cable can effect the sound, I'm as mad as you.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I felt when I tried the mains cables even the expensive ones they can strangle the sound and restrict it if anything the cheapest mains cable I tried made a small difference . Each to there own I say but when reviewing amplifiers I feel you should test them without the expensive mains cables just as it is with the mains cable that came in the box and see what it sounds like then .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Only just got around to watching the MF amp review... the deal breaker for me would be the heat it throws off. My Sugden ran very warm, not to mention the AMS35! you could almost fry an egg on it.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
Only just got around to watching the MF amp review... the deal breaker for me would be the heat it throws off. My Sugden ran very warm, not to mention the AMS35! you could almost fry an egg on it.

Mac

Its not that bad Mac - really not but on 30c day it might be the rest is fine - I listen in a closed room fully sealed up with 10 ton of absorption so it gets hotter as it has no ventilation

My Bryston gets hotter

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Its not that bad Mac - really not but on 30c day it might be the rest is fine - I listen in a closed room fully sealed up with 10 ton of absorption so it gets hotter as it has no ventilation

My Bryston gets hotter

Ah I see.

In my small listening room it gets very warm on hot Summer days and at times it used to really put me off listening to music with my Masterclass.

@Cno like your thinking, but not Devialet for me. for the Summer, I'll stick with A/B Accuphase.

Mac

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well matched output transistor pairs and heavy biasing towards class A helps getting lower distortion without gobs of global NFB.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I havent tried the 600 but it looks similar to the 800 so sure it will be good as well.

Let us know how you get on with that and please consider speaking to Nintronics when you try/ buy.

I have been thinking hard about how I could buy this 800, I would be happy to keep it for sure.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Is still 200w @8ohm so thats a lot. Fair bit saved as well.

I actually originally thought I was bringing home the 600 only twigged when I took a photo it was the 800.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts