Ellisdj review Arcam

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro mate not forgotten.

I have been waiting until I have used the best possible source for it I can.

I currently have the Chord Dave I will do that first then I can do the MF as I doubt I will get anything better than Dave as a dac for a while.

Its all coming mate :)

I am uploading the hugo tt vs hugo 2 video now.

Its done as a blind test listen and see what you think is best??

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
who hear all these differences between the 2 dacs

listen again with headphones - but this time dont look on the youtube video so you have no idea when the dacs change and be honest if you have no idea when they change (except the normal obvious song change)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice. Pass the Parcel. Althogh it would have been more fun played with a load of birthday guests sitting cross-legged in a circle. *music2*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Latest Video is up if anyone is interested

Nice *good*

I don't seem to be able to watch the hugo A/B video on any of my i phones or i pad ( video not available) but it plays fine on my windows pc .

This is a shame as I would like to play it through my system to hear the difference.

All you other videos work fine on the i pad it is only the Hugo A/B that's not working can you do anything about it ?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Electro - sorry about that

There is copyright issues that stops some content being played on ipads etc even though they play fine on a computer. Its bonkers. Some content gets blocked straight away. Whats crazy is any money made goes to the copyright owner so they do benefit from the music being used but thats just how it is at the minute.

My issue is I dont know what songs are allowed and what are not until after I upload the video and test it out

By then its too late as I need to have done the recordings before hand

If I used the same music in every video it would be fine - but how boring would that be.

I need to start finding more diverse music where they are happy to have it played on YT - that is my plan for moving forward. Over time I will know what I can and cant use from exeperience but for now its guess work or repetition.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
ellisdj said:
Latest Video is up if anyone is interested 

Nice *good*

I don't seem to be able to watch the hugo A/B video on any of my i phones or i pad ( video not available)  but it plays fine on my windows pc .

This is a shame as I would like to play it through my system to hear the difference.

All you other videos work fine on the i pad it is only the Hugo A/B that's not working can you do anything about it ?
Listen blind with earphones

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrew I can assure you in real life the differences between the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT are there - they are totally different presentations. You can hear it in the recordings as well. I have done my best to demonstrate it - not easy.

I have the Dave now and thats different again, more akin to the TT than Hugo 2.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrew I can assure you in real life the differences between the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT are there - they are totally different presentations.  You can hear it in the recordings as well.  I have done my best to demonstrate it - not easy.

I have the Dave now and thats different again, more akin to the TT than Hugo 2.
I also heard differences but when I listened blind I can't hear any or don't know when it changes

Source is laptop and earphones

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
When I do the follow up I will see if I can put a few clips in to highlight it. I left long play sections to stop it being so choppy that might not have been the best approach

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
When I do the follow up I will see if I can put a few clips in to highlight it.  I left long play sections to stop it being so choppy that might not have been the best approach
I'd make the change overs more often also
Like 10 seconds or so

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've listened to the A/B demo on my computer speakers and I can clearly hear the difference, I have come out in favour of A .

I still don't know which is which but A sounds more open and detailed with a wider spread of sounds.

B sounds more shut in and narrower in width with more upper bass content clouding the detail a bit that makes it sound smoother but less exiting.

I did it blind on first listen and again sighted and the results were the same, I also noticed that the A/B graphic was slightly out of sync with the dac change.

A very good demo indeed, I am going to watch your follow up now .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A is the Hugo TT - that is overall my preference out of the 2 but the Hugo 2 is still very good.

The follow up will work on phones and ipad etc I used the only song I could gaurantee it to do so - not the best demo song for the test

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just watched the follow up video on the computer speakers and I found that the two Dac's sounded almost identical in fact I could not tell the difference blind at all, they both sounded like B if anything which is odd as the first video was quite clear on the differences.

I still don't know which is which.

Edit .

I have just noticed that the follow up is playable on my i pad so I will listen again on my main system .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its a shame it didnt come out a bit better for that track - its hard to get presence and scale of sound from headphones so maybe it will be more obvious on the main system - please update me Electro - thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To the follow up video
Using benchmark dac and studio monitors
I cant hear any difference

Just made my wife and son listen blind and told them to shout when anything changes to the sound.
Not one of them could hear any difference

Then i told them it's changing from a to b often and they were just plain guessing lol

Then my son all of a sudden started getting the right answers only to catch him cheating

TRENDING THREADS