Ellisdj review Arcam

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Andrewjvt said:
Sorry but isolation products adding colour is going against all logic.

Are not they meant to remove distortion (added colour)?

In the world of hi-fi what something is supposed to do and what it actually does can be 2 different things. Make that 3 different things with isolation products as the results can depend on the system and the location (quality of mains power supply) and the time of day.

Also we may down to semantics here. Where what was meant was that the isolation product helped the system to be be more transparent and allow the natural "colour" of the recording come through, particularly in the midrange. Wheras without the isolation the recording sounded a bit bleached / bland / loss of detail / loss of dynamics.

That is my definition of less colour
More detail due to less distortionsmearing etc

But definitely not adding anything extra

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Guys latest review is up - Chord Hugo TT

I have tried to improve the quality of this review in terms of the look and the presentation of it. Its in 4k now as well.

Interested in your feedback on it please as always - but from a look and delivery point of view especially.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Little to criticize....except....Don't Sing! *wink*

You're even starting to describe the musical experience (where the intent and even interplay of the musicians, starts to be noticed) in a similar way to me....so you must be on the right track (obviously). The stuff I judge a system by, can't be measured.

My only observation would be.....how much of that wonderful inate musicality, that has you checking out other music, is down to the Amp. My suspicion is that the DAC brings a very clean, clear, detailed and powerful element to the mix....which mixes really well with the organic and natural character of the Amp.....in the same way that you get, when combining a Class A amp with detailed speakers.

Good Job.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The amp is definately in play here - its a big part of this sound quality - had I reviewed the hugo tt dac first then I would be thinking the amp as well but because I did the 2qute first I can hear how much better the Hugo TT is with the same kit if that makes sense.

However on the amp now I have heard it with a better dac its a marvel. The bass quality its giving me from the Kefs I cant quite believe. For the first time I feel I dont need the subs on, its driving them so well. The Kefs are eating up the 300w and not leaving much change. Its a Great sounding amp, I would love to keep it

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
However on the amp now I have heard it with a better dac its a marvel. The bass quality its giving me from the Kefs I cant quite believe. For the first time I feel I dont need the subs on, its driving them so well. The Kefs are eating up the 300w and not leaving much change. Its a Great sounding amp, I would love to keep it

It's on a system of the quality that you are now listening to, that highlights just what a difference a high quality Source can make....it has to be heard, to be believed.

radiorog said:
plastic penguin said:
@Radiorog

"What did you make of the yam 2100 pp?"

Very good actually. There was little to fault. However, the retail price was the biggest sucker punch. The comparison with my old Pulse was minimal. The Leema outgunned the Yam when it came to tight, controlled bass - and the fun factor. Most other areas, the Yam was slightly better.... that price tag again. I couldn't get my head around 2k when my Leema cost me £750, albeit it was end of line (brand new) example.

Again the Arc A39 was better than the Pulse in some respects, but not in others. Hi-fi is a real s##t when it comes to comparing similar priced components, hence why I went for broke and purchased the Tucana. Much better overall performance and - buying s/hand from a reputable dealer - cheaper than a brand new Yam 2100.
Yeah, I'd not really heard of the new tucana before, but by looking at reviews, it sounds like a superb amp.

Yup, the Tucana is off the scale compared to cheaper offerings.

In terms the way the Tucana and Pulse handles bass - the definition is staggering. However, if you worship by the temple of bass, you might be disappointed with either. Other brands may dig a little deeper in the LFs but in terms of detail and definition, neither Pulse or Tucana IMHO can be bettered in their respective price brackets. They are game changers.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Guys latest review is up - Chord Hugo TT

I have tried to improve the quality of this review in terms of the look and the presentation of it. Its in 4k now as well.

Interested in your feedback on it please as always - but from a look and delivery point of view especially.

Thanks

Well you've sold it to me, I want one!

Would love to compare it to my Audiolab M DAC+

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I would say def try it, its brilliant but let me listen to the Hugo 2 first and see how that compares, thats a big comparison.

I prefer the larger format of the TT but the Hugo 2 is cheaper and has the newer chip in it so might be better

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have made a website - would be interested to see what people think of it.

Its not finished yet, just interested in the reaction to it - thanks

Personally, I find the background is too "beige, fussy and distracting"....but it has potential. Sometimes "simple" and not "over-egged" looks classier.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am trying to make it so it transistions as you scroll down and so you can access the whole site from one hand from a phone - however what are you looking on computer or phone?

All the fancy effects dont work on a phone - its a more plain version of the real thing. On the computer the fancy effects are fancy

Sorry thanks for the FB BTW

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I am trying to make it so it transistions as you scroll down and so you can access the whole site from one hand from a phone - however what are you looking on computer or phone?

All the fancy effects dont work on a phone - its a more plain version of the real thing. On the computer the fancy effects are fancy

Sorry thanks for the FB BTW

I am viewing on a Laptop.

There is a brown background, with a Treble Clef sign, with music written in colours merging from green, to yellow, to purple. Overlaid on that (at the top), is a box with the title of the Website on a darker brown and simial written music.

I would try simplifying that. The written music is a nice touch, and might look better, as more of a watermark, with a much lighter background. The whole effect is rather dull, clumsy and heavy - IMO.

Try removing the separate box with the website name and integrate it into the front page better.

Keep the thing Light, Fun, simple and airy....remember, less is often more.

What you really need, is Vlad....but failing that, I'm happy to give my opinion.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cant really take the header out as its doesnt work, and its a big button to my you tube channel.

However I have tweaked it - see what you think now?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't see much difference.....the background is still very prominent and distracting....and brown.

If you like it, just ignore me.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I like it.

I think the presentation is an extension of your character and as such does the job very well.

I am sure you will tweak it over the coming weeks with a little more feed back, but overall a very good site, keep up the good work . *good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Electro, appreciate - its the first one I have ever done - just like all of this its massive learning curve. The stuff I am having to learn I am a novice still with a lot of it

Now I know I need certain photos and video just for the site - didnt know that weeks ago when I started so dont have a lot :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Insider how I am doing the website it will be much easier to catch up directly on there.

It will also be easier to compare videos etc for the sound as they will all be on the same page and you can start and stop them much quicker and easier.

Its not quite so easy on a phone sadly but still a quicker way to browse them than on you tube which is a bit clunky for such a thing

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ellisdj

From the quick look I've just had and from my point of view, which will be very different from everyone else, it seems to be user friendly for my special software., so I'm happy.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9

ellisdj said:
Insider how I am doing the website it will be much easier to catch up directly on there.

It will also be easier to compare videos etc for the sound as they will all be on the same page and you can start and stop them much quicker and easier.

Its not quite so easy on a phone sadly but still a quicker way to browse them than on you tube which is a bit clunky for such a thing
Agreed, it's added to bookmarks :) I'll eventually clear my youtube backlog.

But the way, earlier I visited it from a PC and on mobile it looks even better. Really well done!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Steve if you mean the music over the regularly used short intro I am not sure.

When I first started I had to ask a few favours to get up and running with artwork etc.

That intro was done for me and I really like it and its why I am still using it.
Although the rule brittania version makes me chuckle when I hear it.

If thats not what you mean please let me know. Thanks

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oh wow - I will see if I can get the info for you, I will ask.

I have just uploaded the next review for the Hugo 2 if anyone cares.

I am going to be doing a cool comparison video between the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT - I have done all the work for it just need to put the video together, will update when that goes on

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts