Ellisdj review Arcam

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Really miss that amp.

That's how I ended up with the 35i....brought it home for a long weekend, but took it back, as I didn't want to spend the money.

I then missed it every time I played some music...so, some months later, I was tempted back by a very good price....and the rest is history.

I have yet to hear anything that I prefer that isn't insane money.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have got an arcam avr850 at the minute. Its brand new opened yesterday so need to give it some time.

Will be interesting see how I get on but already can see the difference.

Big change from the ps audio directstream dac and Nu Vista to an AV Receiver.

Also had to change speaker cables as cant use spades on the arcam.

I have got audioquest tree something. A good set with the battery on them

I didnt ask Jack about cables because I didnt want to ruin the video with a cable debate :)
But I have seen whats used inside and it will do :)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have got an arcam avr850 at the minute. Its brand new opened yesterday so need to give it some time.

I didnt ask Jack about cables because I didnt want to ruin the video with a cable debate :) But I have seen whats used inside and it will do :)
Nice video there. Am Looking to purchase an Arcam 850 later in year so will be interesting to see what you think of the sound. You really going places now, nice job. *good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:
Really miss that amp.

That's how I ended up with the 35i....brought it home for a long weekend, but took it back, as I didn't want to spend the money. 

I then missed it every time I played some music...so, some months later, I was tempted back by a very good price....and the rest is history.

I have yet to hear anything that I prefer that isn't insane money.

I havent heard enough yet to know that for sure but its set a high bar.
Effortlessness control if that is a word

I even miss twisting the volume knob. Best *** touched in years lol

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
ellisdj said:

I didnt ask Jack about cables because I didnt want to ruin the video with a cable debate :) But I have seen whats used inside and it will do :)
Nice video there. Am Looking to purchase an Arcam 850 later in year so will be interesting to see what you think of the sound. You really going places now, nice job. *good*

Cheers Native. Its getting there. Nearly 19000 video views last 28 days. Pleased with that. Averaging about 40 hours of content viewed a day. This is still really low but is getting there.

Dr Jack has made me get my tape measure out and move the speakers a bit he is right does matter even a few mm

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Once it's warmed up, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it is, especially for 2 channel. It should be a step up from my my AVR600, which isn't too shabby.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cno does your 600 run hot?

I thought this would run cool after using the P49 but it runs pretty hot. Wondering if its on its limit with these speakers or if its normal

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Cno does your 600 run hot?

I thought this would run cool after using the P49 but it runs pretty hot. Wondering if its on its limit with these speakers or if its normal

Not particularly...but I seldom run it loud and the L&R speakers are LS50s.

When it had its gremlins, I had to send it back as the bias went haywire, which left it very hot....I don't think it affects the 850 though.

I remember David talking about running a full Kef Ref system (previous model) from an AVR600 all day at a show (I think)...without a problem.

Maybe Arcam might comment if you give them a ring...Andy Moore, I think is your man.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am considering having one of these to allow atmos, using it as an amp for the 4 rear channels only with another power amp for the heights and centre then stereo power amp with HT bypass for the fronts.

That will allow me to test stereo equipment better, other av equipment as well right up to modern spec

Its complex but I dont see any other way to do it better.

Means some change here I will need to manufacture more rack space, I have a plan for that.

This is all funds permitting, they are not there right now to do all that.

Just trying to update the firmware on the 850 - it doesnt like me atm

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've just checked.....and with the AVR600 on quietly, the Amp is noticeably warm (more than slightly warm), but not hot.

How's the 850 sounding so far?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Native_bon said:
ellisdj said:

Nice video there. Am Looking to purchase an Arcam 850 later in year so will be interesting to see what you think of the sound. You really going places now, nice job. *good*

Cheers Native. Its getting there. Nearly 19000 video views last 28 days. Pleased with that. Averaging about 40 hours of content viewed a day. This is still really low but is getting there.

Dr Jack has made me get my tape measure out and move the speakers a bit he is right does matter even a few mm
I did exactly that yesterday with my speakers, and i must say it really opened up the sound and brought much more balance from top to bottom of the music. Sound improvement for free. *dirol* As per views just keep at it, sure to get much more views as time goes on. You on the right path.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CNo

I am deliberately not reading any reviews for the kit I am doing as I do not want to be influenced by anything.

I have now read that review as my Part 2 is filmed and should be up later today all being well.

Interesting to see what I have said compared to this - I 100% did not read this until now and when I bought my Ref 3 there wasnt many reviews for them out.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
CNo

I am deliberately not reading any reviews for the kit I am doing as I do not want to be influenced by anything.

I have now read that review as my Part 2 is filmed and should be up later today all being well.

Interesting to see what I have said compared to this - I 100% did not read this until now and when I bought my Ref 3 there wasnt many reviews for them out.

Anybody who has heard these speakers on the end of a decent system, will hear a similar presentation.

I had the chance to directly compare them with 203/2s and wrote about it here: https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/if-i-was-starting-again

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Here is the link to Part II of the Reference Speakers Review.

Another good job....though near the start, I think you gave a distortion figure (0.2%?), but the figure that came up on screen was different (0.5%?).

One of the talents that I have mentioned regarding the older Refs, was how versatile they are regarding both AV and 2 Channel duties.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ellisdj said:
Here is the link to Part II of the Reference Speakers Review.

Another good job....though near the start, I think you gave a distortion figure (0.2%?), but the figure that came up on screen was different (0.5%?).

One of the talents that I have mentioned regarding the older Refs, was how versatile they are regarding both AV and 2 Channel duties.

Thats deliberate CNo - there is a higher distortion figurte for 40 - 100khz 0.5%

But between 200hz and 10khz so most of the mid range and treble its even lower at 0.2%

<0.5% 40Hz – 100kHz
<0.2% 200Hz – 10kHz

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
I would like to congratulate you on perfect length video :)

Ideal for gym to do some cardio on a stationary bike. Looking forward to watching it in a bit.
LOL sorry they are all so long :)

I like long videos something to listen to while doing the washing up :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I think your on-screen info and what you say should match up....as it all happens too quickly, to necessarily pick that up. I didn't, and then didn't go back to double check.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Fair point - it doesnt matter that much its just highlighting the low thd figures for the speakers.

I dont remember seeing THD for speakers before in their spec

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Latest Video has just gone up lads and ladies

Its not in 4K atm, chances are will be by the time you watch it, You Tube takes a while to get it up to 4k. Really happy with this has come out

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Would be nice to see your home cinema going with them 2 SVS subwoofers in action whether your camera can handle the bass in a action scene ?

I haven't got a projector but good video it still applies to TVs as well but most of us do not have the luxury of a man cave sorry bat cave anyway I thought of a good video you could do is how to probably setup a AV amplifier with all the different settings just in case someone didn't understand the different settings when they first buy a AV amplifier as they have so meany different settings i my self might of missed something on mine

or how to setup a subwoofer properly for music or films just an idea

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi BS that is a good idea.
I have not tried to record the system for movies but in a way I dont see why it would be any different to recording music so maybe I will give it a try and see how it comes out.

It would be great to do setup videos for all the different av receivers I would need them all (not same time) to do it. I dont know them all well enough to make it without them.

I am going to do a setup video for the arcam 850 with Dirac as part of the review of it. Its actually very easy but that might be because I already half know what I am doing

I havent worked out how to play music with speakers and subs but I havent had enough time messing with it. Day job has been killing me. Stresssful job

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts