Ellisdj review Arcam

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Each box is about £6k

The dac has a network card to stream from and supports mqa. I have not tried that yet.

I have not tried the memory player either yet.

I did hear a Full ps audio system when i picked these up. Very good

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have posted up 3 demo videos now for the PS Audio directstream Dac. They should play on all devices.

Birdy - Fast Cars Cover - Live Lounge 2016

Paul Roth Vincent from Pearl Diver

Diana Panton - Hold me Hold me from Pink

I am hoping to get MQA working tomorrow and if I am successful will do a couple of videos for MQA so you can hear whats its like. Fingers crossed its easy :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I got Tidal MQA Masters Working - its works brilliantly in the PerfectWave Dac with the PerfectBridge II

I have done a comparison Video here - demonstrating the benefit of MQA Master Files over normal Streamed Files.

I think its pretty obvious - what do you think?

insider9

Now you've opened a big can of worms... MQA :biggrin:

Glad I'm not the only one who hears a difference. Although I've put MQA on hold with diy active etc.

Big question is would you be prepared to skip Dirac altogether if you could only listen to MQA?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Short for once Video on the PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player.

First time I have heard DSD from SACD - its much better than CD great format shame it didnt get more popular

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Short for once Video on the PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player.

First time I have heard DSD from SACD - its much better than CD great format shame it didnt get more popular 

Watched the video
Looks very nice

Question: while making the review videos do your wife and kids poke faces at you?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
They are sound asleep - We only have 2 rooms one is pitch black so I have to wait for the other room to be vacant so I can get in there and set it all up.

Normally shooting at 10pm or later at night why I always look like I am half dead.

Then you have big bright lights shining in your face while your trying to do it :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
My latest Video is up

KEF Reference Speakers Review Part 1

I visit KEF and find out more about the Reference range History and then look at the manufacturing - followed by an Interview with their Head of Acoustics.

I think this is the best video I have done yet.

Interested in feedback

insider9

ellisdj said:
My latest Video is up

KEF Reference Speakers Review Part 1

I visit KEF and find out more about the Reference range History and then look at the manufacturing - followed by an Interview with their Head of Acoustics.

Interested in feedback 
Wow, this is like a Top Gear for hifi enthusiasts :biggrin:

Fantastic effort!!! Loved it. I really enjoyed how you relaxed throughout the interview. Could see some tension to start with. Excellent job!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
My latest Video is up

KEF Reference Speakers Review Part 1

Interested in feedback

Definitely your best effort to date....and what a coup to get an Interview with Dr. Jack....which you handled very naturally. Good questions, though I see you steered clear of asking his view on cables.....pity, but I understand why.

Having sat through an evening where Kef were present, I'm aware of the attention to detail that goes into the Refs.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I was very nervous and tense - thats my first ever interview and normally I do all the camera work on my own.

Doing it in front of other people is much harder - especially someone you have just met, it was more daunting than I expected but I am really happy with the outcome.

I didnt edit or cut anything out of the interview - only me looking down at some prompt notes I took with me.

Jack didnt prepare or plan his answers they were all natural answers and that helped with the flow I feel and shows his deep understanding of what they are doing. He was also very up front that its a team effort and its not all his credit - he even shared the chocolates I bought him with them lol

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ellisdj that's how I felt with the Dali opticon range how you feel with your Kefs

i found out that with the right amplifier I got the very best out of my Dali opticon 8s and the reason for a start I kept changing amplifiers as I knew I was on to a winner with my opticon 8s and was worth the effort to chase for perfection which is what's it all about .

you do not have to spend tons of money you just need the right amplifier to get the very best out of your speakers and I really believe that there has to be a good sonic marriage between amplifier and speakers or your just wasting money and time .

I liked the Kef tour that you did it shows you have passion and believe in the product which is how I feel about the opticon range and Dali them selfs both companies seem to have the same goals in quality and getting the very best out of music which makes a difference to me as a customer and your self .

great work mate I look forward to part 2 *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
:) Thanks

I know that sounds extreme but when you think about it makes sense as well
I measure the distance apart and from back wall as well as from side walls but my speakers fire straight head with no toe in as Dali says you get a wider sound image but if you do toe in then the sound image is much more focused to one spot were the listener is sitting .

insider9

ellisdj said:
:)
Thanks

I know that sounds extreme but when you think about it makes sense as well
Extreme? Not at all. Differences of 10cm can have a huge impact when it comes to frequency response.

Great tip about measuring in 3dB intervals though. I usually measure at volume in listen at but now I'm interested to see how systems behave when at lower and much higher volumes :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
My latest Video is up

KEF Reference Speakers Review Part 1

Interested in feedback 

Anyone interested in kef speakers will love this video.

Only meaningful feedback i can give is that I would have preferred it if you remained barefoot while giving the interview and touring the museum.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys yeah made barefoot my thing without even meaning to.
People all seem to notice must be my pasty complexion.

I would like to do more of these types of videos.
I was hoping to do one for the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista amp. Really miss that amp.

Hopefully I can now show the sort of video I would make to manufacturers maybe make them interested to do it.

I really enjoy making them very interesting to do

insider9

ellisdj said:
Cheers guys yeah made barefoot my thing without even meaning to.
People all seem to notice must be my pasty complexion.

I would like to do more of these types of videos.
I was hoping to do one for the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista amp. Really miss that amp.

Hopefully I can now show the sort of video I would make to manufacturers maybe make them interested to do it.

I really enjoy making them very interesting to do
If you're doing any more visits like this and need a cameraman give me a shout :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts