Electrostatics: brilliant answer or impractical solution.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I had some Martin Logans a few years back and just couldn't get on with them. Yes the clarity was superb and very natural, but the sweet spot was very narrow and changed when you either stood up from your listening position or even moved your head. They also seemed to project the sound right into your face so that the effect was altogether claustrophobic. I'm not sure if this was just an effect of the room they were in, but it was very uncomfortable.

In the end they just had to go.

I find the Focal 1008Be's I replaced them with have almost as much immediacy and speed of attack (probably due to the beryllium tweeter), without any of the effects listed above.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Just-Ears said:
CnoEvil, I think you are very correct in that it all comes down to the ears. No expert can calculate what I hear. If you are asking for oppinions, here is mine. I have an Audiolab 8200 amp with the 8200DAC CD player paired with KEF R700 speakers. The sound is well balanced across the range (Better balanced than some more expensive amps. Again, I let my ears do the talking) and staging is admirable. It is bi-wired with good quality cables and generally performs well in my living room. I have just returned from visiting my brother who has bought (Roughly at the same time) a Primare 30i with comparable cd player. He has more space in his living room and had paired his equipment with Martin Logan eloctrostats. The two amps are comarable so I do not believe that any sound difference is due to quality issues. Yet, I find that the clarity of sound from the Martin Logans is significantly better (to my ears) then my KEFFs. The sound is brighter, more life like, appears spacious with good depth and clarity. We both have a very eclectic taste in music which ranges from heavy classical to heavy metal and everything inbetween. I find that the Logans cope very well with all thats thrown at it, probably better than my KEFFs. It is true that the Logans lack a little in the bass compartment and my brother is considering a sub woofer. The sweet spot is smaller than with conventional speakers but even outside of the sweetspot, the clarity is beautiful. Don't get me wrong, the KEFFs are a very decent set of speakers but if I had the room (and the money), I know what I would be buying..... Am I jealous of my bother? .......Lucky sod
Hi there, and welcome to the mayhem...you must be a cousin of Al ears. *wink*

IMO. People can no more tell you what Hifi to buy, than what Art to choose, or what clothes to put in your wardrobe.

The Kefs are brilliant speakers and work well with a clean neutral amp...and the New Refs are a big step up again (provided you feed them with suitable components).

CnoEvil said:
Just-Ears said:
CnoEvil, I think you are very correct in that it all comes down to the ears. No expert can calculate what I hear. If you are asking for oppinions, here is mine. I have an Audiolab 8200 amp with the 8200DAC CD player paired with KEF R700 speakers. The sound is well balanced across the range (Better balanced than some more expensive amps. Again, I let my ears do the talking) and staging is admirable. It is bi-wired with good quality cables and generally performs well in my living room. I have just returned from visiting my brother who has bought (Roughly at the same time) a Primare 30i with comparable cd player. He has more space in his living room and had paired his equipment with Martin Logan eloctrostats. The two amps are comarable so I do not believe that any sound difference is due to quality issues. Yet, I find that the clarity of sound from the Martin Logans is significantly better (to my ears) then my KEFFs. The sound is brighter, more life like, appears spacious with good depth and clarity. We both have a very eclectic taste in music which ranges from heavy classical to heavy metal and everything inbetween. I find that the Logans cope very well with all thats thrown at it, probably better than my KEFFs. It is true that the Logans lack a little in the bass compartment and my brother is considering a sub woofer. The sweet spot is smaller than with conventional speakers but even outside of the sweetspot, the clarity is beautiful. Don't get me wrong, the KEFFs are a very decent set of speakers but if I had the room (and the money), I know what I would be buying..... Am I jealous of my bother? .......Lucky sod
Hi there, and welcome to the mayhem...you must be a cousin of Al ears. *wink*

IMO. People can no more tell you what Hifi to buy, than what Art to choose, or what clothes to put in your wardrobe.

The Kefs are brilliant speakers and work well with a clean neutral amp...and the New Refs are a big step up again (provided you feed them with suitable components).

No relation of mine., and as this thread is a few years old I will decline to interrupt. ;-)

Just-Ears

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Hallo CnoEvil and All ears. I am very new at this forum game. Takes me ages to find my topic back never mind post something usefull. I had no idea that the thread was old, I hope my oppinion was of use all the same.

Indeed, I'm no relation to All ears (Didn't know of his/her existence) but I'm sure we can all be friends.

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Just-Ears said:
Hallo CnoEvil and All ears. I am very new at this forum game. Takes me ages to find my topic back never mind post something usefull. I had no idea that the thread was old, I hope my oppinion was of use all the same. 

Indeed, I'm no relation to All ears (Didn't know of his/her existence) but I'm sure we can all be friends.
I am Luke's father - electrostatics are fine indeed - need good amp - and good subwoofer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts