davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
did anybody else mutter "...cardiogram" to themselves in a faux german accent after reading the subject line of this thread?

No, but I did strart singing Nervous Wreck by 'Radio Stars'.

Electroencephalograph (wreck wreck) x 2

Electroencephalograph (plug it in my brain)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Get on with it PP, we've cancelled dinner reservations for this.

(I am expecting at least a photograph of your new Icon Audio valve amplifier.)

We all know he is dying to try one then say its not as good as his Leema and prove us all cloth eared

stevebrock said:
chebby said:

We all know he is dying to try one then say its not as good as his Leema and prove us all cloth eared

Like you saying the Icon is the best thing since sliced bread. Perhaps listen to a Leema before casting empty, baseless aspersions.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
chebby said:

Like you saying the Icon is the best thing since sliced bread. Perhaps listen to a Leema before casting empty, baseless aspersions.

PP dont take yourself too seriously

And yes it is the best thing since every SS i have heard under £2k

I have no desire to listen to a Leema and for that matter any Rega, Naim, Rotel etc etc unlike yourself who is very curious to here a valve, even going as far to go to a dealer!

Just chill out for a bit - you have been calm of late!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
popcorn2.gif

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Same old, same old with you "only joking, PP" or "don't take yourself too seriously". The key word is "The SS amps I've heard", clearly you have no idea about the Leema, just making wild assumptions based on what?

On the assumption that when you demoed the Elicit R you likened it to your Leema - go figure

Leema, Rega, Naim - much of a muchness

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
Same old, same old with you "only joking, PP" or "don't take yourself too seriously". The key word is "The SS amps I've heard", clearly you have no idea about the Leema, just making wild assumptions based on what?

On the assumption that when you demoed the Elicit R you likened it to your Leema - go figure

Leema, Rega, Naim - much of a muchness

No, wrong again. If you find that thread (I can't be bothered to look), you'll read that I heard the Elicit-R in isolation at the dealers i.e. they had no other amp fired up nor did I take the Leema. In addition, the Rega was connected to PMC Twenty 23 speakers, which are unfamiliar to me. Yes there were aspects that sounded familiar but, without another amp available, couldn't say for sure.

Don't take everything so literally, Stevebrock.

plastic penguin said:
... I have something that may interest you. I'll try and paste it over a little later. :)

Better late than never.

13728191385_31bc3fe659_b.jpg

I turned this copy of WHFI from Oct 2004, and the Group Test which features EC1-3 (alongside Cyrus 8VS, Roksan Caspian, Onkyo A-1 VL, Exposure 3010, Unison Unico, Arcam A90 and Eclipse).

I know you have said many times *I should hear one* but will a amp from the late 90s still cut the mustard with the new kids/models on the block?

This is the larger version.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:
... I have something that may interest you. I'll try and paste it over a little later. :)

Better late than never.

I turned this copy of WHFI from Oct 2004, and the Group Test which features EC1-3 (alongside Cyrus 8VS, Roksan Caspian, Onkyo A-1 VL, Exposure 3010, Unison Unico, Arcam A90 and Eclipse).

I know you have said many times *I should hear one* but will a amp from the late 90s still cut the mustard with the new kids/models on the block?

A BIG yes, when are you having the 'demo' (might be hard that) or have you seen a used cheap one and are going to take a blind punt

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:

Better late than never.

A BIG yes, when are you having the 'demo' (might be hard that) or have you seen a used cheap one and are going to take a blind punt

Kronos have an ex-demo one going for £2350. Not sure if that is a bargain as have not looked up full RRP.

Seems to have risen very steeply in price since 2004 :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There have been some minor changes to the Eci3 over the years mainly to the power supply , the rest remains pretty much the same from 2000 to present day .

This is the Norwegian way , they spend years getting things just right with the best possible quality for the price and then leave it alone !

Why change something unless you can make a real improvement :)

Here is a chart that shows the longevity of some of their products , it only goes up to 2010 but you get the idea :)

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/files/manuals/EC-OTHER-PRODUCTS-HISTORY.pdf

and power amps .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/files/manuals/EC-POWERAMPS-HISTORY.pdf

What in your opinion is best, a manufacturer that changes models and casework every year or two for no sound reason or a company that gets it right and sticks to it .

IMO the Eci3 still outclasses most amplifiers even though it is now 14 years old , but then I would say that I suppose :)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi PP & Electro

I've been intrigued by either the Leema Tucana II or the Electro ECI 5 Mk II as a possible match with my ProAc D2s.

I'm not able to audition either amp at home with my setup but could probably listen to them at the dealers' premises, albeit with diffferent speakers.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hi PP & Electro

I've been intrigued by either the Leema Tucana II or the Electro ECI 5 Mk II as a possible match with my ProAc D2s.

I'm not able to audition either amp at home with my setup but could probably listen to them at the dealers' premises, albeit with diffferent speakers.

If you are quick you might pick up this bargain :)

http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/used-products/electrocompaniet-eci-5-mkii-integrated-amplifier-very-low-use

If you ask nicely Mike and Caroline will probably let you try before you buy at home with the usual conditions .

It should work very well with the proacs but as always it is best to try for yourself to see if the sound is to your taste :)

Al ears said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:

Better late than never.

Kronos have an ex-demo one going for £2350. Not sure if that is a bargain as have not looked up full RRP.

Seems to have risen very steeply in price since 2004 :)

That's a silly price. That I would expect for a brand new example. Have seen ex-dems (dealers) for around £1200.

Singslinger said:
Hi PP & Electro

Can't give you any info on the amp but as regards dem then go a shop audition if a home one is out of the question. The acoustics won't be the same but it's better than nothing.

Electro said:
There have been some minor changes to the Eci3 over the years mainly to the power supply , the rest remains pretty much the same from 2000 to present day .

This is the Norwegian way , they spend years getting things just right with the best possible quality for the price and then leave it alone !

Why change something unless you can make a real improvement :)

Here is a chart that shows the longevity of some of their products , it only goes up to 2010 but you get the idea :)

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/files/manuals/EC-OTHER-PRODUCTS-HISTORY.pdf

and power amps .

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/files/manuals/EC-POWERAMPS-HISTORY.pdf

What in your opinion is best, a manufacturer that changes models and casework every year or two for no sound reason or a company that gets it right and sticks to it .

IMO the Eci3 still outclasses most amplifiers even though it is now 14 years old , but then I would say that I suppose :)

Cheers, Electro.

I agree, if it ain't broke... but as they tweak the amp every so often that pretty much explains. It seems to the trend with the big brands to update every 12-18 months.

Also thought it would make interesting reading for you in the 10th year since the Supertest.

(Blimey, with the amount of old mags, I should become WHFI's archivist. :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts