EB2 and ATC SCM 11 are both similar in presentation?

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I am very interested in trying out EB2 but because of long waiting list and high postage charges outside UK cannot order these and try them at home. I have read some post on this forum and many people stated SCM11 and EB2 are similar in sound signature and handling variety of Amp.

If not then which one is better with more bass and handling poorly or low ripped mp3 via Dac. Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not going to say too much as I haven't heaerd them first hand, but my colleague who has (in our demo room), said that the EB's would be great for those that feel the ATC's are a little bright or forward for their tastes (and to make that clear before the replies come flooding in, I myself am not saying the ATC's are bright and forward, but I know from demos that some people do).

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard either of those speakers, but I have read a lot about the ATC SCM11 here on the forum, and it is said to be very, very revealing/unforgiving, so playing "low ripped MP3" probably isn't the best idea. (But then again, I don't understand why anyone would want to play "low ripped MP3's on their expensive Hi-Fi)
emotion-4.gif

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi Chokobolt

I've noticed that you have the Emotiva gear I am having an eye these days and possibly ordering it. What is your opinion? Apparently it is a giant killer according to various reviews.

Thanks

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello xtsili
emotion-1.gif

I'd recommend buying the USP-1 preamp together with the XPA-2 power amp and then getting a warmer sounding source (dac, turntable, cd-player). As you can see in my signature I also have the ERC-1 cd-player, but will get a turntable in about 10 days :)

As for the sound: it delivers a very, very clear sound which in my opinion makes it a lot easier to imagine the singer is standing right in front of you (when you close your eyes). I love listening to Melody Gardot, Agnes Obel, Katie Melua and the likes on this system because it's very life-like. Just sit back, close your eyes and you are at a concert :D

I don't know what else to say (maybe it's because they are neutral) :p

Oh, imo they also deliver a nice wide soundstage and you can also hear where the singer is on the stage (is she standing a bit to the left, in the mid etc.). The same goes for the instruments. This again adds to the realism of the sound, so yeah I really recommend it.

The reason I am after a warmer sounding source may not be Emotivas fault. I think the acoustic in my room is pretty bad, with wooden floor, concrete walls and no soft furnishings (except for my sofa/bed). Something I must fix at some point I guess
emotion-5.gif

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Chokobolt:
Hello xtsili
emotion-1.gif

I'd recommend buying the USP-1 preamp together with the XPA-2 power amp and then getting a warmer sounding source (dac, turntable, cd-player). As you can see in my signature I also have the ERC-1 cd-player, but will get a turntable in about 10 days :)

As for the sound: it delivers a very, very clear sound which in my opinion makes it a lot easier to imagine the singer is standing right in front of you (when you close your eyes). I love listening to Melody Gardot, Agnes Obel, Katie Melua and the likes on this system because it's very life-like. Just sit back, close your eyes and you are at a concert :D

I don't know what else to say (maybe it's because they are neutral) :p

Oh, imo they also deliver a nice wide soundstage and you can also hear where the singer is on the stage (is she standing a bit to the left, in the mid etc.). The same goes for the instruments. This again adds to the realism of the sound, so yeah I really recommend it.

The reason I am after a warmer sounding source may not be Emotivas fault. I think the acoustic in my room is pretty bad, with wooden floor, concrete walls and no soft furnishings (except for my sofa/bed). Something I must fix at some point I guess
emotion-5.gif

Thanks so much chokobolt for your detailed reply.

It seems that this stuff is value for money and I can't resist buying the power amp at least, to fire my diamonds 10.7 - the A-S700 does a good job but...

Besides, I was wondering if I really need a pre amp. The souncard I have outputs 124 db and the vDAC 120db or something, may be they are already delivering a signal high enough to feed the power amp. According to various posts I run accross, a passive preamp may be the solution when the source is a good soundcard or dac.

Any idea how much the customs fees, duties/taxes added to the initial price? (I bet you live in UK, I live in Greece)

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Your welcome
emotion-1.gif

Okay, so I don't really know much about soundcards but I think you will get the best possible sound by adding that preamp to your setup, be it the one from Emotiva or another brand :p

I live in Denmark, but I don't think it would have helped if I lived in the UK, since it's shipped from the US (or maybe you already knew that?). Well, when I ordered my preamp, poweramp and cd-player from Emotiva, they told me that the amps I was about to buy could be had for a lower price since they had been using them when going to "audio conventions". So I bought them and the cd-player and waited (I can't remember how long, maybe a week, maybe two weeks), and then they arrived. I had to wait till my dad came home, because I couldn't get the XPA-2 up the stairs :p (I payed via PayPal by the way).

But a couple of days later I received a letter from the customs service telling me that I had to pay (let's make it in pounds) £338 in customs duty). But remember, I bought three things, and for quite a lot of money, If you went out to buy from Emotiva I really don't think you would have to pay that much in customs duty.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
thanks once again chokobolt. I was simply wondering about what to expect in terms of duties etc. Now I am getting an idea - I assume more or less it will be the same all over Europe regarding imports from the US. (yeah I know Emotiva sells directly via the internet).

The more I am thinking of it the more I tend to be convinced that even adding the customs duties etc, the Emotiva gear represents a bargain.

I'll keep you posted if I end up buing their stuff.

Cheers!

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Zubkabera, I've had a pair of SCM11s for about 6 months and do find them a forward in the midrange but not at all bright with my electronics (Naim) and they certainly are not harsh. Their forward nature is why I chose them over their bigger brothers the SCM19s and I feel it gives them delightful detail and delicacy especially with voices and acoustic instruments. However, I also find them very rythmic and open allowing me to hear deep into mucical passages, a bit like headphones in fact. Like most people I do like a bit of decent bass and have augmented the SCM11 with a Velodyne subwoofer set with its cutoff quite high at 120Hz. This approach has another advantage as I can play music quite softly and, by increasing the volume on the sub, maintain the natural balance of a piece. These are my first ATC speakers and, although I'm not fully used to them yet, they are quite unlike any other speakers I've owned or heard. To me they are not so much Hi-Fi but more like musical instruments. I think with a sub they will give you all the base you'll want and will take anything you throw at them but you'll hear the truth back, but having said that, to me they seem to find the best in a recording and not the worst. Go and have a listen.

Hope this helps

Paddy

TRENDING THREADS