Integrated Amplifier for ATC SCM 11 v2 speakers (Rega? Hegel? Roksan?)

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I had to sell my Parasound P5/A21 due to sapce consraints in a new house I'm moving into and was wondering which integrated amplifier would drive my ATC SCM 11 speakers and take advantage of their full potential. I hear great things about the Rega Elicit-R, but not sure they have enough power to get the job done. I'm also interested in the Roksan Kandy K3, the Hegel H160, Musical Fidelity M5Si. Other amps that seemingly have the power to get the job done, but are maybe less appreciated are: NAD 375CBEE, Rotel 1592, Arcam A39

Any thoughts and experiences would be very appreciated.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Jeres8860 said:
Hi,

I had to sell my Parasound P5/A21 due to sapce consraints in a new house I'm moving into and was wondering which integrated amplifier would drive my ATC SCM 11 speakers and take advantage of their full potential. I hear great things about the Rega Elicit-R, but not sure they have enough power to get the job done. I'm also interested in the Roksan Kandy K3, the Hegel H160, Musical Fidelity M5Si. Other amps that seemingly have the power to get the job done, but are maybe less appreciated are: NAD 375CBEE, Rotel 1592, Arcam A39

No experience I'm afraid, but I think the only one of the amps mentioned to come close to the Parasound would be the Hegel.

As ever, home demo before buying if possible.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Any thoughts and experiences would be very appreciated.

Hi Mac

SCM11's form an exclleent match with Hegel amplification
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Rick. Would you say that the Hegel is an excellent match for all typoes of music, from Hip Hop and electronicam through to Jazz and blues? Is it easiely a better match than a Rega Elicit-R for these speakers?

Jeres8860 said:
Thanks Rick. Would you say that the Hegel is an excellent match for all typoes of music, from Hip Hop and electronicam through to Jazz and blues? Is it easiely a better match than a Rega Elicit-R for these speakers?

If you liked the Parasound sound why don't you stick with them??

How much is your budget? If you are considering the Hegel H160 then spend a couple of hundred more and buy the Parasound Halo Integrated, job done.

P.S.. I am going to do just that.

;-)

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
To be honest, I'm looking forward to a new sound, I enjoyed my parasound setup, but I think it's time to hear a different amp. My budget is $2000, but I spoke with a dealer today and he said he would sell me a new Elicit-R for 2250 all in. I'm seriously considering it. I'm not an audiophile, more someone who really wants to feel the emotion of the music All genres of it.

Jeres8860 said:
To be honest, I'm looking forward to a new sound, I enjoyed my parasound setup, but I think it's time to hear a different amp. My budget is $2000, but I spoke with a dealer today and he said he would sell me a new Elicit-R for 2250 all in. I'm seriously considering it. I'm not an audiophile, more someone who really wants to feel the emotion of the music All genres of it.

Fair enough. For that sort of budget the Hegel is out anyway unless you can find one second hand.

Before you buy anything I would urge you to audition preferably at home.

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Jeres8860 said:

Fair enough. For that sort of budget the Hegel is out anyway unless you can find one second hand.

Before you buy anything I would urge you to audition preferably at home.

Unfortunately, I don't think in-home demos are very common in the U.S.

I have found one H160 used within my range.

All things being equal, is the Hegel a better amp than the Elicit-r or the Roksan K3? I feel like it's between those 3.

Jeres8860 said:

Hi Jeres8860

Yes, so far we've found that Hegel does not favour any genre of music used. Yes Hegel/ATC is an excellent combination and is also a pairing which is being used by a number of our clients.

As to the H160 v Elicit-R it's best that you should try and compare to see which one you feel suits the ATC's best.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
If i were me i would sell the atc speakers get what you can for them.

Then purchase a pair of either Avi dm5 or Avi dm10 active speakers they are a revolation

Trust me ive had naim equipment (£5000) worth roksan amps pmc,neat,proac,kef, tannoy speakers

And none of them even get close to what the Avi can give you.

Not only that theres no more crappy black boxes to clog up your living room

My set up is a pair of Avi dm5 speakers,apple airport express (dac built in) and as a souce macbook pro or iphone 6 using either spotify or itunes. and its the dogs bollox.

Ive never enjoyed my music than i have in the last 30 years im just gutted it took me so long to get here.

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Can I plug in my turntable to active speakers?

I have sonos around the house, so the stereo's main and to some extent only real purpose ( I play some hi-def files through a Pioneer N50) is to play vinyl. My turntable is a Rega RP6 with a Dynavector 20x2 L cartridge. I have a lot of vinyl of various genres and of various ages, so the most important thing about this setup, is that it plays vinyl well!

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
OMG if thats all youve got to worry about then its simple get dm10's a phono amp and your all set-up

honestly you wont regret it, youll be looking back in few months time laughing at these poor passive owners thinking if they only new what active speakers can do.

youll be like pig in **** with a f-ing big grin on your face.

thumbs up.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
But it is my view that the ADM 10 and the late model ADM9s (s/hand only) are the most remarkable value in the current market.

They are, in effect, complete playback systems with a built in remote control pre-amplifier that has 1 (pure) analogue and 2 Toslink digital inputs.

If that is sufficient for your needs, record player via a phono stage and your streamer will leave you with a spare digital input for other use, then these are terrific value.

Priced at £1500 for new '10s and £600-800 for used '9s, that is of course in the english market place, may be a different situation wherever you are, though AVI will ship to pretty much anywhere.

Given that you have chosen ATCs, the AVIs should not come as too much of a shock, they are even more neutral than the ATCs, clearer and more open too. Take a look at the comparison thread elswhere and see what you think, try and ignore the name calling though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If i were you id get Avi dm10 and sell the atc scm11 (i own atc scm11 and hegel h360)

If you insist on keeping them and want a good amp then get the hegel onetime

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If i were you id get Avi dm10 and sell the atc scm11 (i own atc scm11 and hegel h360)

Is that what your plan is? to be honest, I've been reading a lot of old forums and you seem to really champion the Hegel sound and of course you also own ATC speakers. Has something changed for you?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Jeres8860 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Is that what your plan is? to be honest, I've been reading a lot of old forums and you seem to really champion the Hegel sound and of course you also own ATC speakers. Has something changed for you? 

Ive found out that active Avi speakers has much better sound quality than passive anything. And much cheaper. It all seems a bit of a coincidence that all of a sudden there quiet a few hegel and atc threads popping up.
If you want great sound for less than half the price go AVI

Jeres8860

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
[/quote]

It all seems a bit of a coincidence that all of a sudden there quiet a few hegel and atc threads popping up. [/quote]

Coincidence how?

It's true, I do hear a lot of great things about active speakers.

For me, ATC speakers work because they'll need to be placed in a bookshelf with minimal amount of distance fro the back wall. But since ATC's will work so for the setup, I need a powerful amp to drive them. All things being equal, I think I would of preferred the Rega Elicit, but I think the power of the H160 will work better for me.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Jeres8860 said:

It all seems a bit of a coincidence that all of a sudden there quiet a few hegel and atc threads popping up. [/quote]

Coincidence how?

It's true, I do hear a lot of great things about active speakers.

For me, ATC speakers work because they'll need to be placed in a bookshelf with minimal amount of distance fro the back wall. But since ATC's will work so for the setup, I need a powerful amp to drive them. All things being equal, I think I would of preferred the Rega Elicit, but I think the power of the H160 will work better for me.  
[/quote]

To listen to the amps and decide what you like.
The nad c275bee would also be a good choice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts