Has EB2 toppled ATC SCM11 in mid range budget. Speaker Advice for Roksan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rather than start another EB2 thread, I would like to ask here if anyone at EB have tried the EB2s with a Naim Nait 5i? (Or a NaimUniti.)

The maximum power handling (quoted in the specs section of the recent ATC & EB2 WHF review) is 100W as opposed to 300W for the SCM11s. Their efficiency is quoted as 87dB.

On paper it would seem a good match (price and specs etc.)

Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I can see that, just by EB/Ricky's failure to respond to a post withing 5 miliseconds, as he normally does, he must be stunned about this great idea.

He probably wonders right now how to show his gratitude. He'll be pleased to hear that I don't need them to be named after me. The first pair of the production line will do nicely.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

drummerman:Yes. 'AVI's amplification knowledge'.

As opposed to drummerman:Ashley's amplification knowledge,

which is what you said.

You were correct hence the correction. Martin is responsible for that side.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This could be followed up with matching after fit amp packs for other EB's; An all powered, high end cinema speaker system.

Better get working EB Ricky, no more schmusing on forums.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You could remove the passive crossover and drive the units directly ... ala ADM's.

... but yes, point taken.

JD, it's difficult to follow all of EB's posts
emotion-1.gif

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Well he did say his next project was a tower of power to fit underneath standmounts...

No John. It was just an option. EB3 was next but maybe not now. OK. Active stands with active crossovers in them. And, if I've dun me maths, it will work with any standmount. Let's see. consider the project underway as of now.
emotion-40.gif

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
chebby:

Rather than start another EB2 thread, I would like to ask here if anyone at EB have tried the EB2s with a Naim Nait 5i? (Or a NaimUniti.)

The maximum power handling (quoted in the specs section of the recent ATC & EB2 WHF review) is 100W as opposed to 300W for the SCM11s. Their efficiency is quoted as 87dB.

On paper it would seem a good match (price and specs etc.)

Thanks.

No reason why not Cheb!. Nait 5 / CD5i works with EB1 here so, on paper, it should work with EB2 as well.

A

Anonymous

Ricky,

1. Why did you go for the passive crossover?

2. Do you think the EB1 and 2 could be improved by going active?

3. What were the key design decisions you made during development to ensure that your models would outperform the competition?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:

JohnDuncan:Well he did say his next project was a tower of power to fit underneath standmounts...

No John. It was just an option. EB3 was next but maybe not now. OK. Active stands with active crossovers in them. And, if I've dun me maths, it will work with any standmount. Let's see. consider the project underway as of now.
emotion-40.gif

There are no affordable active floorstanders to my knowledge.

John Duncan

Richard Allen:

emotion-40.gif

See, you may just be too late Richard...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Are the EB2s inspired/modelled on the original (Peter Comeau designed) Heybrook HB1 speakers?

The dimensions are similar (if you switch around the depth and width) and the original HB1s were sealed box too.

Added to this, there is your association with Peter on the EB1 design so I was just wondering...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

drummerman:You could remove the passive crossover and drive the units directly ... ala ADM's.

Golly, is it that easy?

No but fitting an amp pack, even for a passive powered speaker would'nt be a diy job for many either so they probably would have to go back anyhow. In any case, I did say an 'all powered' system which could be either passive powered or active.

I don't think it really matters at the moment
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:No but fitting an amp pack, even for a passive powered speaker would'nt be a diy job for many either so they probably would have to go back anyhow. In any case, I did say an 'all powered' system which could be either passive powered or active.

emotion-2.gif

Just trying to make the point that you'd also have to design a crossover tailored to the drivers and how they work in the enclosure to go upstream of the amplifiers, and of course you'd need two amp packs for a two-way speaker and so on...

EB Ricky:Further to my previous post, been on Henley's website. L3 is 60 watts a side into 8 ohms so should drive the EB2 nicely but I think you would need the Kandy K2 to drive the ATC's and have enough control. Both options seem quite tasty to me.

I always thought the LIII was 120 per channel.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:drummerman:No but fitting an amp pack, even for a passive powered speaker would'nt be a diy job for many either so they probably would have to go back anyhow. In any case, I did say an 'all powered' system which could be either passive powered or active.

emotion-2.gif

Just trying to make the point that you'd also have to design a crossover tailored to the drivers and how they work in the enclosure to go upstream of the amplifiers, and of course you'd need two amp packs for a two-way speaker and so on...

cost of development, testing, compliance with safety legislations etc etc.

hence my suggestion of teaming up with someone that has done most of that work already.

Makes the soon to be anounced EB active floorstander very good value at around £1350 ...

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

Makes the soon to be anounced EB active floorstander very good value at around £1350 ...

Hang on a minute! Who said an EB active floorstander was gonna happen, and who said, if it happened, it was going to be £1350??. Wasn't me.

TRENDING THREADS