Speaker Conundrum - Help and Advice Required

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Talking about my main system here which consists of Roksan Caspian M1 Power / Pre Amplifier - Regar Planar 3 Turntable - Asus Netbook (using Spotify, iTunes (Apple Lossless) and Foobar2k for Hi Res files - mainly 24bit 96kHz and controlled via an Apple iPad) and potentially a HRT Music Streamer II (opting for this DAC as it has excellent writeups and feedback and decided I only needed USB and no Headphone Out) - Speakers are currently Castle Richmond.

As far as I can see from this setup the obvious shortfall in this system is the speakers (which are now nearly 10 years old)

I am looking for advice on upgrading the speakers, and I am not sure whether to go down the route of Active or Passive Speakers, obviously active's would allow me to reduce the box count, but would they be beneficial??

If Actives I was thinking either the AVI ADM9T or Dynaudio Focus 110A??

If I stayed on the Passive path...what would be a good recommendation for Demo.....ideally I am looking for Standmount speakers which are detailed and would partner well with Roksan.

I dont tend to listen at earth shattering volumes (volume knob tends to stay at between 8 and 9 oclock), budget would be up to £1,500 for Passives and potentially £2,000 to £2,500 for Actives.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I love the sound of Proac's with my caspian, I would suggest in addition to the above to give the proac response D2 a listen, I haven't heard them but if I were looking for a standmount they would be on my list.

Good luck

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
check my system thread for a recetn comparison of some actives + a passive

Thanks for that AlmaataKZ....I must say on the active side at the moment I would definately like to Demo the AVI ADM's....I believe these have a DAC fitted and would mean I could do away with the need for buying a seperate DAC. I can also plug the TT directly into the RCA socket on the ADM's.

This would result in a minimalist system consisting of just the Speakers, Turntable and Netbook (controlled by an iPad).

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Possible speakers -

PMC DB1i
Spendor SA1
Monitor Audio GX50,100
Audiovector Si Series

and of course quality stands.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
kev g said:
Possible speakers - PMC DB1i Spendor SA1 Monitor Audio GX50,100 Audiovector Si Series and of course quality stands.

Cheers Kev g

I have heard the Spendor SA1's before on the end of a Cyrus 8 Pre / Power / CD setup and to be honest found them a little lean sounding. However the others sound worthwhile investigating if I decide on the Passive route and keep the Caspian's.

Will also have a look at the ProAc Response D2 recommended by Shanka

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason, I would be looking at Proac, Dynaudio and possibly PMC.

If you liked the Spendor, but wanted more bass, then maybe Classic R SP3 1R Mk11

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts