Has EB2 toppled ATC SCM11 in mid range budget. Speaker Advice for Roksan

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I recently noticed in best buy section EB2 has replace SCM11, does this mean it has toppled ATC, I am very interested in comparison, I am looking for new speakers for my Roksan Kandy LIII and have short listed the following.

ATC SMC11

EB1

EB2

AVI ADM9.1 (I know these are active design but how well they perform in passive partnering with Roksan)

Dynaudio Focus 110

My setup Sonos connected to Dac Magic connected to Roksan LIII Amp, I mostly listen to pop, jazz and dance, Punchy but well controlled Bass is a must. Please help. Thanks.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Zubkabera:AVI ADM9.1 (I know these are active design but how well they perform in passive partnering with Roksan)

My setup Sonos connected to Dac Magic connected to Roksan LIII Amp
I'd replace the ADM9.1 with Neutron 5 on your shortlist.

Using the ADM9.1s within your setup, you'd be using your amp as pre-amp only and bypassing the DAC in the speakers.

If you do go for the EB2s let us know how you get on. Remember, they have a 30-day money-back guarantee.

A

Anonymous

In the mag the EB2 do indeed topple the mighty ATC speakers. The EB2's must be one hell of a speaker....

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I am seriously considering EB2 with Roksan L3 Amp but doesn't want to get into hassel of returning it if doesn't go well with Roksan L3 Amp, has anyone used EB1 or EB2 with Roksan L3 secondly how is the bass on EB2 compared with EB1 or even SCM11 & Dynaudio Focus 110?

A friend is also selling his old Dynaudio 52SE on a bargain price, hence need to know if 52SE are step up or EB1&2 or Focus 110 are better.

I have got a very small listening room 3mx3.5m and will be placing the speakers very close to back wall hence will benefit from concealed box, but heared bass is not deep enough on concealed boxes.

I know too many options & question but time and availability of speakers is a big issue hence completely dependent on experiences.

A

Anonymous

Well I can't comment on most of those questions but I wouldn't buy the Dynaudio 52SE if you intend to place them near a wall in a small room. I think they'll just boom. Excellent speakers but maybe not the right ones for you.

igglebert:Well I can't comment on most of those questions but I wouldn't buy the Dynaudio 52SE if you intend to place them near a wall in a small room. I think they'll just boom. Excellent speakers but maybe not the right ones for you.

I think that's the case with most, if not all, Dynos.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
the eb2s remind me of classic old speakers and reading the review paper cones and soft dome tweeters seems like going back to the basics like speakers used to be instead of all the new technology and complicated cone construction offered by many

i also think they look fantastic and how speakers should be no plastic baffles on view anywhere i'm actually tempted to just buy them but have no need for them - although i don't like their logo

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:although i don't like their logo

Unfortunately someone with very serious dosh had already got the really good one:

Bugatti-Logo.jpg

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Zubkabera:
secondly how is the bass on EB2 compared with EB1 or even SCM11 & Dynaudio Focus 110?

Can't comment comparatively, but I can't complain about the bass from EB2 so far. My only observation is that they require a higher volume setting than I'm used to. Bass seems solid enough, and claimed frequency response is 35hz in case that's of any use to you.

A

Anonymous

Zubkabera:

I am seriously considering EB2 with Roksan L3 Amp but doesn't want to get into hassel of returning it if doesn't go well with Roksan L3 Amp, has anyone used EB1 or EB2 with Roksan L3 secondly how is the bass on EB2 compared with EB1 or even SCM11 & Dynaudio Focus 110?

A friend is also selling his old Dynaudio 52SE on a bargain price, hence need to know if 52SE are step up or EB1&2 or Focus 110 are better.

I have got a very small listening room 3mx3.5m and will be placing the speakers very close to back wall hence will benefit from concealed box, but heared bass is not deep enough on concealed boxes.

I know too many options & question but time and availability of speakers is a big issue hence completely dependent on experiences.

In a room of the size of yours, any rear ported loudspeaker will boom if placed close to a wall including the EB1. Sealed box designs don't lose bass, they just present it in a different way. Placing near a rear wall can actually benefit the bass without colouring the mid band and treble. Both EB2 and SCM11 can achieve this.

As to partnering with the Roksan amp, I don't know if there's enough juice to drive the ATC's but it should drive the EB2's as a Roksan Caspian was used in the design process. Caspian is 70 watts a side into 8 ohms. Don't know if this helps or not.

A

Anonymous

Further to my previous post, been on Henley's website. L3 is 60 watts a side into 8 ohms so should drive the EB2 nicely but I think you would need the Kandy K2 to drive the ATC's and have enough control. Both options seem quite tasty to me.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ricky,

thanks for your valuable input as a designer of the speakers you will know more then anyone else, nice to know that you've used Roksan Caspian in design & testing process, however I am confused about the power ratings you've mentioned my LIII user manuals says it's 120 watts into 8 ohms and Kandy K2 specs say 125 watts into 8 ohms, so I don't know why you've mentioned its 60 watts.

Anyway I think I will give EB2 a try but not sure about go for vaneer or black, I would like to see high-res picture of both options, secondly any recomendation on speaker cables, also what do you think if I can connect my Rel sub to Roksan to spice the bass or do you think it will distort the sound presentation of EB2.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
My general understanding was all roksan amps have same sound signature, with a difference of detail and resolution. But may be I am wrong I am not an expert, I would still give EB2 a try and if it goes well with L3 then keep it and at later stage if funds permit move to Caspian.

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
It looks like they sound great, but they won't suit all elecronics, for example the ATC might suit cyrus gear better. Surely it is all down to listening

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Zubkabera:I am very interested in comparison

Just that comparison is in the September issue of the magazine, on sale now.

Hi Andrew, could you supply me with the website for eb acoustics please...can't seem to find it online

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:Andrew Everard:
Zubkabera:I am very interested in comparison

Just that comparison is in the September issue of the magazine, on sale now.

Hi Andrew, could you supply me with the website for eb acoustics please...can't seem to find it onlineSorry Andrew, I have found it. On your website :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Now who would have thought this would happen ... another EB thread, no doubt extending far into the future
emotion-2.gif

... and why not. Nice bloke and an obviously good product. I do wonder how many sales EB made of the back of this publication and forum. Other manufacturers should take note, not slagging off alternatives is a good start.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

not slagging off alternatives is a good start.

Again Drummerman is right. Twice in one day as well. Seriously though. First rule of selling, marketing, running a business, being a decent person. Never slag off the opposition because all you're really doing is slagging yourself off and, let's face it, most of the others have been around a lot longer than EB and doing well. What's the point???.

A

Anonymous

when i had my little paving business , i never talked of the opposition in a bad light , even when pricing against them , id highlight to the customer what i could offer , not what others couldnt ...

after a while i became quite pally with one of my competitors , he would pass on my name to people when he was too busy to do the job , and id pass on his name to builders that wanted big jobs done that i wasnt interested in , none of us tried to score points ..

that was a few years ago now though , during the good times , anyhows .. its nice to be nice ...and sometimes pays dividends...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You know, I had an idea, thus prolonging this thread ... not that you need me for that;

Your cabinet and marketing skills with Ashley's amplification knowledge ... a relatively affordable, small active floorstander?

I forsee world domination.

TRENDING THREADS